• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Unova General Ace's Throwback Tour - A Pokemon Black Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Updated 8/11 || Pokemon Black meets '80s Music

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
#GottaStayHydrated
Hello everyone! I’m AerialAce40, or Ace for short. I’ve been a lurker on these forums for a few months now and decided to post a run instead of just making it a hard mode that I just enjoyed for the challenge.

Anyways, I decided to run Black; it’s one of the games I grew up with and one that I still enjoy today (although Platinum is still my fave). Here’s the rules I’ll be using:
  1. Only catch the first Pokemon in any area (excluding gift mons).
  2. Only one Pokemon from any evolutionary line. If the first encounter is a duplicate or from a line you already have, you may keep retrying until a new encounter is found.
  3. If a Pokemon dies, it is dead and gets permaboxed.
  4. Nickname all your mons! Theme: 80s/90s/early 00s music
  5. Battle style is Set.
  6. You are allowed a catch in both the inside and outside regions of Pinwheel Forest, Relic Castle, and Dragonspiral Tower (due to different encounter tables)

And here's Part 1:

OH BOY HERE WE GO

What's up, I'm Ace and I'm not sure that this is the best idea lol

I'll be using Snivy this run; with Set mode I want some bulk so I can switch in, and speed so I can hit back fast. Plus I've used Samurott on a lot of other runs, so I figured I'd give snek boi a try

So I forgot to screenshot the end of the fight but it wasn't super eventful, just a bunch of Tackles

Tackle > Tail Whip x4

Carry on, young snek boi. Timid could be really nice later in the run, but it might be a bit annoying early on. Oh well, we'll manage

Time to get a bunch of key items. s/o to Mom, da real MVP of the run

aww thanks Mom

Parental comparison: overprotective dad and X to Doubt

Anyways, on to Route 1!

Haha joke's on you

Ooh nice, Lillipup is what I was hoping for. Lv 2 is a bummer but it just means a bit more training here

Docile is alright, it won't mess up any stats. Pickup is a bit of a bummer since he won't get Intimidate on evolution, but I guess I'll get some useful items early game

After getting WaywardSon to Lv 8 and Down Under to 7, we head to Accumula!

Hope these nurses don't mind me healing after literally every fight

Why do I hear boss music

Let my people Pokemon go

Why do I hear boss music pt. 2

Lol imagine using Purrloin. Does N stand for "no chance"?

And that's all for the first update! Here's a team snapshot. Next time, tune in to watch the gang trek up Route 2!

Last edited:

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Very nice! Good luck to the rest of your run!

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Oh I love your naming theme! Wishing you and your team luck against "Boss Music Pt" 1 and "No Chance" LOL

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
#GottaStayHydrated
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm back with Part 2!

@khorale @BadgerDaddy Thanks! I appreciate it :)

@Tailsimp Thank you! It's kinda hard getting some names to fit (which you'll see in this update), but definitely adds some flavor and totally gets these songs stuck in my head Thankfully the first N fight is super easy but I know they'll get harder. Plus Ghetsis is tough no matter what

Oh hi Mom!

Yeah kinda hard to go anywhere fast when you can only walk

Sweet! Thanks Mom!
Side note: what would happen in the Pokemon world if someone tried to run in their walking shoes? Would the world just explode or something?

awww :')

Anyways, time to go catch a mon for this route!

Ooh, a Patrat. I don't think I'll use it too much after I get more mons, but right now we'll take --

Dang it Down Under! Welp, there goes my Route 2 catch.
Well I guess I'm just rolling with WaywardSon and Down Under for now until the Dreamyard. Time to clear some trainers.

Yeah, he learns Vine Whip at 7, not sure why that's super surprising. Snake in your boot?
Also, I forgot to screenshot all the other trainers here lol

OH SHOOT I FORGOT TO HEAL

Oh ok this won't be that big of a deal. Still not taking any chances though; I've lost mons to carelessness in situations like this before.

Yeah I was way overleveled for this fight. No worries here

Interesting response to losing. Maybe she's not doing a Nuzlocke /s

Haha yeah, about that...
(also this has similar energy to "Are ya winnin' son?")

Alright let's go to school

It's summer leave me alone

hmm pretty difficult

HMMMM I WONDER I THINK ITS THE PARLYZ HEAL

Alright I'm healed up this time

OUCH
This was such a wacky turn. Tackle actually brought it down to mid yellow but it ate its Oran Berry. After the turn Down Under picked up the eaten Oran Berry (ew) and healed himself up. Pickup actually being useful for once in battle!

Hey Cheren attacking moves are still better at this stage of the game

missed the screenshot lol

Ok Purrloin is still bad, confirmed. That'll be annoying once it evolves though - it'll have Fake Out and decent Speed and Attack

...but that's a problem for another day.

Is this supposed to be a backhanded compliment? Either way, Cheren, you got schooled... haha get it because it's in a school... ok I'll stop

These will be helpful for the gym, thanks!

HEY WHO ARE YOU CALLING A NOVICE

Crushing dreams since 2020

Got my fire extinguisher! If I trained him, I bet Down Under could take on Chili's Pansear, but building up the team is good. Especially after killing my Rt 2 catch lol

Thank you! Wait... was that supposed to be a pun?

So I almost named him Dance Monkey until I remembered the naming scheme lol. Ah well, Safety Dance is good. Or SafeTDance because that's what fit (Game Freak pls buff name size limit)
Rash isn't awful; the raised SpA will be nice, but I'll just be worried every time he takes a neutral special hit

Alright, let's do a bit more training before the gym!

Down Under making bank here lol

With everyone at 12, let's hit the gym. Gains o'clock

Gotta stay hydrated

First Trainer down, no problems.

uhhh I have some serious questions
She wasn't a problem either though.

Before our first gym battle, here's an obligatory team shot!

Oran berries on everyone for a quick top-up mid fight. I'll be leading Down Under so I can finish off Chili's pup before it gets too many buffs.

Alright, here goes nothing. (not actually too worried)

PETA would like to know your location

Thanks for the crit Down Under! They're pretty nice when I'm not trying to catch something

I am the superior dog handler

nah time to switch

I was hoping it wouldn't use that, but it's all good. This thing can't touch me anyways

So the first Water Gun did a bit over half, the next one left him at 1 HP, and the third one was a crit after Chili healed. Victory!

OOF this guy and awkward Cilan are the gym leaders we need, but not the ones we deserve

Rewards; Work Up might be useful for now, I'll probably end up teaching it to everyone for now

Perhaps you could train in the Dreamyard? I hear a good place for novice trainers

Eh not my favorite move but it's required for the game to progress. I'll take it.

I was so surprised when I actually got the right frame on this one

Insert dialogue w/ Team Plasma along the lines of "All trainers are bad besides us"

Still pushovers though.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Anyways, since gift mons don't count for an area, time to get a catch here!

1 in 5, pretty cool. Now I have to not kill it...

dang it

alright sweet. WaywardSon actually did most of the work; Munna helped a lot by using Defense Curl and Lucky Chant (yay no crits)

Easiest name choice so far, I don't think it could be anything else.
Brave is kinda an L, but at least it doesn't decrease bulk or SpA

Can I refuse this item?

Darn.

And that brings us to the end of Part 2! 2 new mons and a new gym badge isn't bad for one update. Next time, tune in as the crew heads towards Nacrene City and Lenora's killsquad!

Last edited:

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
SafeTDance as a name for one of the monkeys is the funniest thing in the world to me and also a guaranteed way to get that song stuck in my head every time I see him. XD I hope you manage to keep him tho, I never see them go far in Nuzlockes...

Also 🙏 for u going up against Lenora. Wishing you and the team the best of luck.

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Having fun with this, I love the naming scheme. I've also got newfound respect for the Panpour line after helping me decimate droves of Pokemon in Conquest.

I'll be keeping an eye on this!

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
#GottaStayHydrated
What's up everyone, Part 3 incoming!

@Tailsimp Haha thanks I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to fit his name in the 10-character limit XD and yeah he's a bit frail, can't wait until he evolves and/or gets some better moves if he survives that long
@localhoney Glad you like it! It's super fun for me as well. Never played Conquest personally but I will do my best to carry on the Panpour line's legacy

So this part will be a bit shorter; I messed up something on my randomizer and lost some screenshots. Don't worry, all the data and the team are still safe though! Here's a brief synopsis of the part that I couldn't get screenshots for:
- Beat Twins Kumi and Amy handily. Yay for Double Battles! 🙃 Not the last ones we'll see this update
- Beat Cheren fairly easily. His Tepig still has a strange affinity for stat-changing moves over attacks, but his team is improving.
- Team Plasma comes through with a stolen Pokemon and hides in a dead end (also not the last time this game)
- Catch a Patrat (Route 3 catch)! First female of the team, so I can finally use one of the many 80s songs about a girl. This one gets named Jessie's ♀. She has a Serious nature, which we'll take, and Run Away, which will come in handy later.
- Head to Wellspring Cave, defeating Pkmn Breeder Adelaide and an Audino on the way. I think the Audino gave more exp lol
- Defeat Team Plasma in Wellspring Cave alongside Cheren, who finally figures out how to attack
- Catch a Woobat (Wellspring Cave catch)! He gets named SweetChild, and I intend to protect him with my life. Unfortunately he has a Brave nature, but it helps that he has Unaware and not Klutz.
- Bianca gets the little girl her mon back, and she gives me Heal Balls.
tl;dr 2 new catches (Patrat and Woobat), still no deaths. Defeated Cheren and some Plasma Grunts

So naturally the first screenshots I have are me beating up on some kids in the Day Care

Gotta love switch training. I can't wait until I can get that Exp Share in Castelia

Also gotta love type advantages though

I just stole this kid's lunch money. Poor guy I feel bad for him

heh

Actually this girl can do some damage, no need for switch training yet

Yeah this is why I saved the preschool kids for after I got my catches from Rt 3 and Wellspring Cave. They're all pretty weak, and it's a nice on-ramp for at least one of my new team members. On to the rest of Route 3!

That's definitely a step up from the preschool

A rematch already??

oh

(this is against a trainer) Ok Jessie might be able to take this fight; Woobat are pretty frail and I have Bite. Let's try it...

YIKES (pt. 1)

Alright let's BATtle (I'm sorry)

Nothing really exciting happened with the other two trainers, so on to Nacrene we go

Oh except for this. These rocks will be very annoying; at least they don't learn Selfdestruct/Explosion early like some of the other regional rocks

Alright bring it on N

YIKES (pt. 2) I think this was a Quick Attack crit but I missed the screenshot so I can't remember lol

This is where Set mode starts to get tougher, and why it's nice to have bulkier mons (looking at you SweetChild and SafeTDance)

Dream On will definitely be useful in this section though. He's bulky and hits Fighting types hard, which would otherwise pose a huge threat to the team.

And that wraps up the battle. Still No Chance

Not looking forward to that fight. That's a long way off though, we have plenty of battles to fight first.

The game really doesn't want you to lose this gym, between all the fighting types and this TM

And also this healer after you beat her

So this was after one Bite. If I outspeed, this Munna is dead. Since I know they're pretty slow...

Gottem

So this kid's Cottonee was easy enough. The Petilil on the other hand...

Jessie's Girl wasn't strong enough to outdamage its healing. Dream On got slept, and Down Under probably can't take another hit. Then I realized I'm dumb and that WaywardSon is immune to most of its status moves, and resists its attacks.

That was quite the adventure

And here's our catch for the area!

Darn. I was really hoping for a Fighting type, especially after missing out on Roggenrola in Wellspring Cave. This gym just went from interesting to downright terrifying. Dream On, can you weaken it and sleep it?

...sigh. Well, I wasn't planning on using SweetChild, but I guess I'll have to train him now; we're already short-staffed as is, so we'll need all the help we can get

Two encounters lost to crits? Dang there better be some really good luck coming

I hate sand-attack (this actually missed like 4 times lol)

No more accuracy drops for you

Is that a good thing...?

Ok, this should be doable

OH SHOOT I forgot it had Rock Throw. I still should outspeed, though...

Yep. Also yay for flinch hax >:)

Ouch that's gotta hurt

That's also gotta hurt. Psybeam is kinda good in this area; Dream On's quickly becoming a one-move mon haha

Also we have our first evolutions of the team!

Lol so the reason I knew my randomizer was messed up was when WaywardSon became a Pignite. Not quite what was planned lol. I decided to play mostly on a standard game with an emulator, but leaving myself the option to use a randomizer if there's a trade-to-evolve mon like Conkeldurr or Gigalith.
Yay for more bulk and stronger Leaf Tornados!

Good boy. This Down Under-dog isn't so little anymore

I decided to mostly do training in the dark grass and against Audino in the plain grass. I never thought Run Away would be this useful, but it was really helpful. I would put Jessie in the 2nd slot, and just Run Away from double battles I didn't feel great about. (i.e. Timburr and Sawk vs Down Under and Jessie) That being said, every "foolproof" plan is still one idiot away from disaster, as shown in the next couple screenshots

Hey look, free exp! SweetChild definitely needs all the help he can get.

YIKES (pt. 3) aight we out

A few encounters later...

YIKESSSSS (pt. 4) crit Air Cutter is NOT fun

Thankfully, the whole team made it out alive at Lv 20. Time to hit the gym!

Staying hydrated is key!

haha NERD

Nothing super eventful in the gym trainer battles; I'm overlevelled for them anyways

Alright! That staircase either leads to resounding victory or crushing defeat. But first, obligatory team shot!

I'll be leading Dream On to negate her Herdier's Intimidate, and I've given my heavy hitters Chesto Berries (thanks Cheren) to hopefully counter-cheese her Watchog.

Alright. I have a plan and team I believe in. Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose (well hopefully)

Step 1: Put her Herdier to sleep.

So far, so good.

Step 2: Kill the Herdier with super effective moves, hopefully before it wakes up. If I really wanted to be safe, I'd try to get in a Lucky Chant before killing it, but that might be even riskier, since I'd have to take a turn to heal, a turn to switch in, and a turn to use Lucky Chant.

Rock Smash is super helpful here - no recoil and super effective damage.

Now for the much, much riskier part - her Watchog.

This thing is fast, powerful, and has a 140 BP Retaliate on the turn it comes out. In the second gym! No wonder they flood Pinwheel with fighting types. Oh did I mention it can put half your team to sleep too?

Step 3: Tank a Retaliate. I switched in WaywardSon because his bulk is the best, and because I need Jessie for the next part of my plan. However, I actually calculated this using https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/?gen=5 and if this crits, WaywardSon is a goner.

Moment of truth...

Sweet, no crit! Carry on, my WaywardSon. Now that its most powerful move is out of the way, it's time for...

Step 5: Put her Watchog to sleep. Jessie can definitely tank a 70 BP Retaliate, and she has a Chesto Berry for this moment.

You've activated my trap card!

And naturally I miss the screenshot on the Chesto Berry lol. 60% accuracy for the win; it always hits when we need it most

After a series of Rock Smashes and Lenora using Super Potions...

Step 6: Kill her Watchog

LET'S GOOOOOO

Lenora I bet you wish you had Jessie's Girl :P

Yeah, I grinded this whole team to 20 just for you

And actually, I had more backup plans too; WaywardSon had Leech Seed in case things really went south, and I was fully ready to bring out the Heart Stamp flinch hax if it came down to that. Thankfully things went almost entirely according to the plan; no random crits or Hypnosis shenanigans

Not sure if I'll use Retaliate; it only has 5 PP and needs someone to die for full effect, which is not something we want to happen. Still a decently powerful STAB for Down Under and Jessie though, so it might get some situational use

Maaan, Team Plasma always ruining the moment lol

Anyways, that's all I have for Part 3! I'm pleasantly surprised to say that we still have no deaths after two badges. Next time, tune in to see this bargain-bin team of type redundancies chase Team Plasma into Pinwheel Forest and Castelia City!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Hey, a fellow gen 5 fan! ^^ I grew up with gen 4, but gen 5 is my favorite. Black/White are the first Pokemon games I got on the release date!

Good thing you got a male starter for that nickname. Don't count the Timid nature out! The extra speed it provides can be crucial in early-game speed ties, before you really have a chance to get the EVs you need.

With the team you're getting, you'll have better boss music than Ghetsis in no time! ^^

Haha yeah, about that...
(also this has similar energy to "Are ya winnin' son?")

I love how the "quiz" is easy, even for inexperienced players. That's the power of having words mean things! XD The Awakening wakes you up from poisoning, right?

Having a super effective Pokemon against the first gym will definitely help keep you safe! Thanks, SafeT!

OOF this guy and awkward Cilan are the gym leaders we need, but not the ones we deserve
Yeesss, we love corny kids.

Don't you love when Pokemon help you catch them? :)

I just stole this kid's lunch money. Poor guy I feel bad for him
Aw, don't feel bad! Look! He wants a trial by hunger!

Jessie's Girl might have our admiration, but she is not bulky! 🎶 Where can we find some defense EVs~? 🎶

The game really doesn't want you to lose this gym, between all the fighting types and this TM

I had no idea Servine was so bulky! Of course, Pignite is better for this point in the game (fighting type, duh), but would you say Servine is better than Dewott for Lenora? 🤔

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Ahhhhhh Lenora fight with no casualties!!! That's awesome and I'm so glad Retaliate didn't crit. Also really great idea having Run Away ready to go for any trouble when double battle training. I don't think i've seen ppl use that idea even tho it's such a smart idea that I will absolutely be using in my own b/w runs if I get the chance now ty

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
#GottaStayHydrated
@Bowser's Family Vacation ayy nice! Lol did not expect an essay in response but I'll try to respond to a few parts. I actually don't really know how EVs work and I've usually been fine, so I'm hoping this run is the same haha. So the Snivy line tends to have higher defense but lower HP than the Tepig line (45/55/55, 60/75/75, 75/95/95 vs 65/45/45, 90/55/55, 110/65/65). Tepig will definitely hit harder, but those low defense stats with low speed scare me a bit. The main reason I took Snivy though was because during my last run (Platinum, before I joined the forums) I used Infernape, and in my OG playthrough of Black I used Samurott. So it was a nice change of pace :)

@Tailsimp Yeah that fight was pretty stressful! Not gonna lie I was definitely a bit worried for most of it; I actually considered grinding SafeT up to 22 for Scald just as another backup. Yeah the Run Away thing was actually an accident lol I walked into double grass with SweetChild and Jessie, hit a double battle, and then realized that Run Away was the perfect way to get around it

Bigger update today! I've split it into two sections below.

Let's kick things off right away with Team Plasma!

The irony

It's super effective!

backhandedcompliment.jpg

Burgh ignores people with bad fashion apparently

Thanks Bianca! Too bad I already found a bunch of the hidden items around here lol

I mean it makes sense for him to block the exit but it's always been a bit funny how he sends the kid with two gym badges to do the hard work

So naturally I follow him and clear out these trainers first

Assurance isn't super powerful, but a 3 level gap is

I'd buy it, something along the lines of both sides need each other

Did you miss my other badge? It's pretty BASIC I guess (i'm sorry)

My Woobat is better than yours

Lol I debated keeping SweetChild in but decided against it

Plus I want Scald on SafeT

Air Cutter would've been nice before this battle but it's all good. Gust gets the job done

Darn I missed the screenshot but they both say something and then scream "Ahhhhhhhh!!" together lol

Hey watch who you call a stubborn brat

darn it was worth a shot

Oh hey I was so busy clearing the area that I forgot I get a catch for this area! Let's try to not kill it...

NICE

There wasn't any particular reason behind the name, I just like the song. Calm is a bummer of a nature, although it is helpful to have a bit more SpDef (especially on Set mode). I prefer Poison Point to Swarm though so we'll take that

Hey look I'm battling Forrest in a forest! Well played Game Freak

OUCH NOT NICE GAME FREAK

I had to use like 3 Super Potions on this fight alone. I forgot how hard these things hit yikes

pls not another Herdier

These things don't get a Bug STAB until Bug Bite at 22, and Poison Sting is just a sad move. It does have Pursuit, but Dream On is a beast. He can take it

And we have lots of experience dealing with these

I've always wondered how it must be to hide in one of those things as a Ranger

That no STAB thing is really annoying. BillieJean should be able to take this thing but with her low Atk and bad moves, this is a job for someone else

"Hey look! A distraction!"

Unfortunately for you, I taught BillieJean Rock Smash before this fight

Well you didn't buy much time with a battle like that

This might come in handy later against Clay and in some later fights. Right now the mons aren't big enough though

Man y'all need some better mons

And a better war cry

I mean I don't even know what this thing is but thanks

ooo scary

Hey you two finally caught up

Yeah I'll be there soon ™

Seems like a fair trade to me

So now I have a bit of a dilemma. Dream On's best STAB right now is Psybeam, and he doesn't learn Psychic until 37. The Psychic and Psyshock TMs aren't available until the post-game, and Musharna doesn't learn any other STAB moves. Musharna does have a lot more bulk and SpAtk, but I'm not sure I need that yet, especially at this stage of the game. I decided to not evolve him yet; if I need the extra bulk/power, I'll evolve him earlier. But hopefully I won't have to

Anyways, on to Castelia!

Skyarrow Bridge is one of my favorite places in Unova because of what they were able to do with the camera angle and skyline. It's also a great place to hatch eggs if you're about that life

Agh don't make me pick favorites already!!

(but my favorite is either WaywardSon because of his smug confidence or SweetChild because he's kinda the baby of the team)

Almost misclicked lol but this will be really helpful. SafeT's stats will get a much-needed boost after evolving. Although once he learns Scald that will also help

And now, one of the cornerstones of every BW run!

Oh gosh not another one

This one was much less of a problem but still look how much damage that thing does! If I didn't have such a bulky team I'd highkey be scared of wiping to one of those things

Sounds like the business-y way of saying gg

PREACH (source: I'm a CSCI major)

Still beat him though

Yikes how do you still have your job

These things can actually do some damage with their 92 Atk and 98 Speed. Thankfully WaywardSon eats fish for breakfast

Ayy something that BillieJean can hit with that STAB Poison Tail!

Anyone read Dustox's Back in Black, Bug run through Blaze Black 2? If not, you should; it's a really solid run.
I'm pretty sure this is the Pansear that ended his Venipede (with freakin Lava Plume). Reading that run was actually one of the reasons I decided to get into doing some screenshot runs!

Thankfully this is just regular Black, and the elemonkeys are still pretty tame

Time to take out the trash

I actually have huge respect for janitors and trash men. Their job stinks (i'm sorry again)

This is what we came here for. One of the pillars of any run, especially Nuzlockes.

I'm not sure how friendly SweetChild is towards me, but this should help

Hmm I've never used Rest on a Nuzlocke, but I do still have a couple of those Chesto Berries from Cheren. I'll keep it in the back of my mind

These guys are pretty cool imo

WAIT did game freak predict Dance Monkey 9 years in advance

Heck yeah I'll find you a squad

Heading north in the city, I got invited to a party and found this gem

What an iconic duo

And what an iconic item. This guy also reminded me that I can go get a nice gift from Prof Juniper since I've seen 30 mons! Time to run some errands
Hey Mom, I'm home!

These ones are actually doing really well. I'm sure they wouldn't mind some rest though

Sweet! No more losing encounters to crits

...or not

well time to do the walk of shame and return to Castelia

This area is partially open right now, so let's snag a catch!

Dang that chip damage adds up after a while

Don't worry I healed Jessie before throwing this

Also a Sandile! It has Moxie, which means I missed both chances at Intimidate. However, this guy can also just sweep if given time. I'm also happy I got one of these; if I needed help for this gym, Darumaka would have been better, but I'm pretty confident about this one. He'll be a lot more useful for the next gym

Alright technically a 90s song but it fit pretty well (I might shorten it to just Sandman). Docile works; it doesn't mess with any stats which you love to see. His moves are pretty bad now, but he'll get some good stuff soon

I forgot to equip the Exp Share before these fishermen which is sad, but WaywardSon won't see much use in this gym so it works out ok

Lots of experience dealing with these

How is he allowed to learn Scald this early?? I'll take it

Aight back to the dancer side quest

Wow I didn't even have to convince him or anything (besides a battle I guess)

Breaking news: Shady-looking man flashes teen in dark alleyway

3 of 3! Castelia isn't ready for them

Oh I was that close to evolving? Sweet!
In the second dancer battle I actually used all the X items I had, since they boost friendship. I think that, plus the walk to/from Nuvema, pushed SweetChild over the top.

Gotta love how Castelia gives you so many important Nuzlocke items. Exp Share, Eviolite, stone for your elemonkey, and this

Now that SweetChild is evolved, this gym should be even more of a breeze. Let's go take it on

Cheren's character arc is such a cool one for me. It also makes me forget sometimes how focused he is on winning at this stage of the game

Oh right. Time for a lot of dialogue and story progression

Big sad

Yeahhh I'm sureeee

What a blunder!

Didn't your parents teach you any manners?

Wow, thanks for telling us where your bosses are!

After a lot of dialogue and information about the "hero of Unova" and the dragons and all that...

See? Team Plasma isn't that bad /s

I feel like Burgh is too passive with this, but maybe it's just hard to manage this huge city

FINALLY

but first

Another tank for the gym

Staying hydrated!

Yo this gym is nasty. I'm very glad they redesigned it for BW2

I BEG TO DIFFER YOU DON'T HAVE TO WALK THRU HONEY WALLS

oh is that all? wow this gym is even easier than I remember

Ah shoot led the wrong one

There we go

well that's a switch from me

Noice

The rest of the gym was pretty much just a curb stomp. A lot of these bugs evolve into useful mons, but just aren't there yet

Yeah. I'm also playing with a lot of type advantages here. But anyways, obligatory team shot!

I actually chose the wrong lead here. I thought he led Sewaddle or Swadloon, not Whirlipede. Oops. SafeT can easily take the Dwebble with the extra bulk from the Eviolite, and SweetChild is our ace in the hole if anything goes wrong. Plus Air Cutter should OHKO Leavanny.

I'm not super worried about this one, but still not planning on taking any chances. Let's do this!

Oh no not the bug puns

So this is after I realized I chose the wrong lead. Thankfully it doesn't do too much damage, and my team can take plenty of hits.

Getting a Scald burn is also reallly nice

Time for SweetChild's first action since evolving!

THAT'S A LOT OF DAMAGE

Oh, bug off.

Switching in SafeT should be fine here; he has enough Def (I think)

Nice. That did literally 9 dmg lol. Now time to hit that Sturdy...

Oh it doesn't even have Sturdy? lol

Victory!

This one was fairly straightforward, even with me messing up my lead. It's a shame Burgh is this early, since there's a bunch of sick later game bugs (Escavalier, Galvantula, Durant, etc).

But anyways, that wraps up Part 4! Next time, we'll head north into the sandstorm and prepare to take on Elesa!

BillieJean - Whirlipede Lv. 22
WaywardSon - Servine Lv. 24
Down Under - Herdier Lv. 22
SafeTDance - Panpour Lv. 22
SweetChild - Swoobat Lv. 23
Sandman - Sandile Lv. 21

Boxed:
Dream On - Munna Lv. 21
Jessie's Girl - Watchog Lv. 20

Deaths:
none

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Isn't the Dragon Skull already "liberated", though? From life??? 🤔

I mean it makes sense for him to block the exit but it's always been a bit funny how he sends the kid with two gym badges to do the hard work
I always headcanoned Burgh as not having been prepared to confront Plasma (although this part is canon) and prioritizing the preservation of his outfit. :P

My Woobat is better than yours
SweetChild:

Hey look I'm battling Forrest in a forest! Well played Game Freak

OUCH NOT NICE GAME FREAK
Get used to fearing Herdier, my friend. They always seem to be deadly.... >_>

Skyarrow Bridge is a great example of how, to me, gen 5 is more graphically exciting than gens 6-8. The work with the sprite scaling is so impressive! :0

Sing/Wake-Up-Slap duo are such a power couple. XD

Sweet! No more losing encounters to crits

...or not

I've never used a Darumaka, but ground/dark is such good typing for Unova's Elite Four, if we're thinking that far ahead. :P

Wait, Panpour gets Scald at level 22!? What does Pansage and Pansear get!? Pansage gets Seed Bomb, which also has 80 BP, but Pansear gets Flame Burst, which does not have equivalent BP. Lava Plume exists! If the other monkeys are going to get 80 BP moves at level 22, don't leave Pansear out!

"I didn't do it." x broken record

I wouldn't consider the B2W2 Castelia Gym any more sanitary. XD Honey and cobwebs are both gross. For a gen 5 remake, they should have the gym have both! Just in case we don't have enough reason to doubt Burgh. :P

Unova is the first region where bug types really come into their own. I will never understand why they didn't make a bug gym gym 6+ in Unova. Unova has enough unique good late-game bugs to have it work!

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
#GottaStayHydrated
@Bowser's Family Vacation Darumaka are fairly solid; high Atk and decent Speed, can be a bit of a glass cannon though with below-average defenses. I've used the Sandile line a few times in non-Nuzlocke runs and they're pretty fun to use! Intimidate gives them a lot of utility, while Moxie turns them into decent sweepers when given the chance. Plus they learn Crunch and EQ by level-up! I see your point with the BW2 bug gym, but to me it seems more elegant than honey walls.

Part 5 on its way! Who's ready for some sand?

Just rolled Burgh, what's up?

You're on! I do appreciate the heads up though, I'll definitely heal up beforehand.

Also, not sure why I didn't do this before the gym, but it's SafeTDance's time to evolve! It'll be nice to have his extra stats going into the sand route.

Look at that SpAtk. My man is gonna hit like a freakin truck

Lol I love how she checks with the receptionist lady before the battle. It's a funny moment but also shows her growth

Oh wow this is going to be easy. I'm way overleveled for this fight

Can't say I'm a fan of Take Down; even with a 4 level gap it still hits hard. And I don't like using recoil moves if possible; too risky most of the time

Rock Smash is still decent for these fights though

Down Under could probably take this fight. But I've got an entire healthy team behind him, may as well not risk anything.

Leaf Tornado is pretty good right now. Thank goodness too, because the next decent move he gets is Leaf Blade at 32

Same thing as the last switch; I've got a type advantage in my back pocket. I also want to start training Sandman for the next gym

Lol poor Bianca tried to Psybeam this boi

I definitely thought about leaving Sandman in for this fight, seeing that he's at +1 Atk and has a type advantage. However, he doesn't resist anything, and his defenses aren't too great.

Plus I want to Scald things

That's nice! I need to do that irl 🙃

I appreciate how Bianca stays so upbeat

Second rival fight in a row! He's a couple levels stronger than Bianca, but shouldn't be too much of an issue

HAHA I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND NOW this is the only place where Sand Rush > Intimidate

Switching out to play for those type advantages

He got a defense drop from Leer in here as well. Thankfully, I have another type advantage!

Bite ain't got nothing on SweetChild

I wonder if he intentionally switched in his type advantage? I should switch out, probably to WaywardSon since he's the bulkiest I have that's not hurt right now...

The foe's Liepard used Pursuit!

YOU KILLED MY SWEET CHILD >:'(

CHEREN YOU JERK

YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS

AND YOU TOO

ahhh I forgot how much the first death in a run sucks. He was doing so well too! I forgot about Pursuit. I could've healed up and set up a situation where SweetChild would only die from a crit. Basically heal until it uses something that isn't Pursuit, and then switch out (calcs below)

Lvl 20 0 Atk Liepard Pursuit vs. Lvl 23 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 26-32 (37.1 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Lvl 20 0 Atk Liepard switching boosted Pursuit vs. Lvl 23 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 50-62 (71.4 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

*Ace shields his eyes*

I'll be there in a bit... I have some business to take care of first.

Oh, SweetChild. You always had the bulk of a wet paper bag, the attacking stats of a not-fully-evolved mon, and the speed of a fighter jet. Here lies the pride of Wellspring Cave and the conqueror of the Castelia Gym.

She's got eyes of the bluest skies
As if they thought of rain
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Where do we go now?

*sigh*
I'll be rotating Dream On and Jessie with the team for now, we'll be getting a lot of new friends soon though so that should help give us a few more choices for our team.

bruh moment

Dang. I don't miss Dream On's speed, but his bulk and SpA will definitely be appreciated

brb gonna try this irl

Interesting recommendation by the guidebook. It would certainly be helpful for handling all the wild Sandile, but not as much the Darumaka or Scraggy to some extent.

shhhh it's naptime

you need a Sun Stone, Whimsicott are much harder to deal with

I'm from Nuve- oh she wants to battle me anyways

Bold move

aight it's switch time

Down Under reminds me why I like the Lillipup line every time I use him. Great mix of bulk and Atk, plus decent speed to boot. Take Down OHKOs so many things at this point

That's deep, man

Free Ultra Balls!

Technically he only watches over other Trainers' Pokemon in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had really strong mons that they've raised, and now they just like training other ones

Welp guess I'm playing the savior here again

your Pokemon is trash haha get it (I'm sorry)

This is the main reason I came here before going to the Desert Resort

Nah I don't plan on joining you there. Have fun though!

Woohoo Return TM!

I can finally replace Take Down and Tackle! These two should have really powerful Returns since they've been with me since Day 1

Oh that's actually kinda annoying. The SpDef boost will make him harder to take out

But sleep still works just the same!

poor Timburr

poor guy

Bold words, let's see if you can back them up

gg ez

Would you like some water with your humble pie?

Sweet! New STAB move for Sandman. I also taught it to Down Under since it's a lot more powerful than Rock Smash, and it will likely be helpful for the gym

New area, new encounter! Since the encounter tables are different, I can get a catch from both the inside and outside of the Desert Resort.

So this thing took Dream On down to mid yellow with a Fire Fang... I'm lowkey scared

And I forgot to take the Scope Lens off of SafeT. I guess I'll chuck a ball and hope for the best?

Inspired by "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. Brave nature plus Hustle means this thing will hit like a freight train, but its bulk and speed might hold it back. Should be fun to use!

Also, Brave nature... SweetChild is continuing to bless this team with his presence

Let's fix this before we go any further

One...Two...Three... CRUNCH (except it's Bite)

Thanks fam I'll be talking to you a lot

We are beginning to get to the part of the game where my team may or may not have a level advantage

YIKES THAT CRIT

Ok I know it was still in the yellow, but I still wasn't expecting it haha

Super Potion and Sandstorm stall ftw!

Eh, he slept for most of it after that Hypnosis

Encounter time!

WHOA ok these things can be dangerous so either we have to catch it or kill it quickly

Oh right I have Quick Balls from that party in Castelia

"Drops of Jupiter" by Train! Dang this girl is gonna be powerful. It's too bad SweetChild didn't survive long enough to meet Jupiter because they could've been Brave nature buddies

Yay for good grammar!

Boo for bad grammar!

Darn, no Moxie this battle

But it's ok because the Munna couldn't touch him. Like literally no moves that would have damaged him

It worked, I just had the perfect mon to take you on

I'm kinda bummed he doesn't have Bite; he actually learns it at Lv 4 but forgets it before you can catch them

Aw come on, I'll have to switch out I guess

Yeah wasn't a big deal

This thing used FeatherDance, which kinda made SafeT ineffective

Yeah you're wearing short shorts in the middle of a desert

Scald is pretty neat

Dig shenanigans mean he actually doesn't show up again until the Blitzle faints lol

#stayhydrated

This will definitely be helpful. Elesa's Emolga are no joke

It's Scald time

aw come on

Oh dear. Watch out Pokemon League

I can't tell if she's being serious or not

Maractus is an underrated mon. I hope Game Freak gives it some love at some point. How cool would this thing be with Iron Barbs and a better movepool?

This is kinda scary... I don't have a good way to kill it quickly, so I'll have to whittle it down

Wow that was a non-crit Air Cutter yikes

Alright, Crunch will kill it now

Another crit?? Yikes

Tbh I think one of the reasons it's so scary right now is that it has mid-late game stats, and my team is still rocking not-yet-fully-evolved stats

Did someone say type advantage?

Knowledge won't save you here

I've got the magic in me 🎶

I almost instinctively picked the Plume Fossil because Archeops is sick and I really enjoy using him in regular play. I'm worried about how he'll fare in a Nuzlocke though, especially on Set Mode. Carracosta brings a ton of bulk, and it'll be nice to have a backup water type for SafeT

Another area, another encounter!

I was guaranteed to get this after catching Sandman on Route 4 a while ago. And naturally, I missed the screenshot lol

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson. The Brave nature curse continues, although it won't affect Thriller nearly as much; Cofagrigus and its 30 base Speed aren't outpacing anyone, let's be honest. That WoW/Hex combo could be really useful though, I'll definitely keep him in mind!

So that's all for Part 5! We saw our first death of the run (RIP SweetChild) and how he passed his Brave nature on to many other Brave warriors. Long live the Brave Boys. Next time, we'll get a few more friends around Nimbasa and take on Elesa!
BillieJean - Whirlipede Lv. 23
WaywardSon - Servine Lv. 25
Down Under - Herdier Lv. 24
SafeTDance - Panpour Lv. 23
Sandman - Sandile Lv. 24
Dream On - Munna Lv. 23

Sunshine - Darumaka Lv. 22
Jessie's Girl - Watchog Lv. 20

Jupiter - Sigilyph Lv. 20
Thriller - Yamask Lv. 21
SweetChild - Swoobat Lv. 23 / killed by Cheren's Liepard using Pursuit while switching out

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Ohhh time to catch up a bit~

Glad to see that the plasma heist didn't bring you too much trouble. I love that a heirdier that wasn't even theirs was the biggest fear in that whole plasma ordeal XD. Also glad to see you were able to get so much good stuff done in one update! The Exp share, scaled, good catches and good evos are all awesome. It's no wonder that, even with a setback at the start, you just rolled through Burg no problem. (Also I agree that it would have been cool to see Burg later on in the gym circut, with some cool evolved bug-types in tow.)

SWEET CHILD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! CHEREN HOW COULD YOU!? We just barely saw that cutie evolve and you would do this to us ;;n;; I'm glad you were able to get through the rest of the area okay but Sweetchild... the first death of a run is always tough but losing a cutie like that is an extra blow u.u

Oh, and on a side note
Skyarrow Bridge is one of my favorite places in Unova because of what they were able to do with the camera angle and skyline.
Ohhhh this is The Mood. It's so nice and I still remember being impressed when I first saw it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)