• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Written Log Alola General A Quick Little Sun Egglocke

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
Recently, I had my baby brother use my main save file where I've caught 'em all make me a team of eggs to use in an Egglocke of Pokemon Sun! Let me tell you about it!

1. Faint = Death: If a Pokemon faints in a battle that gives experience, it is considered "dead" and cannot be used for the remainder of the Nuzlocke.
2. Egglocke: The only Pokemon that may be used are the ones that hatch out of the Eggs sent over at the beginning of the game. If a Pokemon dies, that teamslot is now empty, and can only be refilled in the circumstances lined out in rule 4.
3. Nicknames: All Pokemon used that can be nicknamed must be nicknamed.
4. Shiny Clause: If a shiny Pokemon is encountered and captured without a teammate fainting, it may be used in the Nuzlocke, regardless of whether or not it is the first encounter of an area. If a teammate faints while battling a shiny Pokemon, that teammate is still considered "alive" and I may continue to use it, but the Shiny Pokemon may not become a teammate if caught.

Without further adieu, let's hatch some eggs!
For those unaware, in order to be traded Pokemon (or eggs, for that matter), you must play the game up until you complete the Trainer's School on Route 1 in Alola. After mashing through all of the intro cutscenes, unpacking my bag, and talking to Professor Kukui, I was finally able to go to Iki Town and get a Pokemon! I used an RNG to pick Rowlett. I will not be using Rowlett in the game, so the only way this really influences the game is in battles where teams change based on the chosen starter. The biggest immediate effect is that Hau uses the Popplio line as his starter.

After I caught some trade fodder, and beat the Trainer's School, I was ready to have Ian trade me some Eggs!

That Premier Ball sure looks neat, doesn't it? It doesn't take a ton of walking to meet the first member of our cast:

Penny-pede the Venipede♀
Poison Point
Hardy
Capable of Taking Hits
-Defense Curl
-Rollout

I got a bug! Rollout isn't something I'm crazy about in a Nuzlocke considering how dangerous it is to lock yourself into a move, but I think this bug will make for a solid member of the team!

Before long I've seen another "Oh?" and am seeing the hatching animation again:

Hot Stuff the Litwick♀
Flame Body
Brave
Takes Plenty of Siestas
-Ember
-Astonish

I got a candle! That's pretty cool! No, wait! That's pretty hot! I know the Litwick line is relatively fragile, so I'll have to be careful, but I also know that they have one of the highest non-legendary Special Attack stats in the game, so if I can keep it alive, I know I'll be getting a powerful teammate! Having to wait a long time to get a Dusk Stone so that I get Chandelure isn't gonna be fun, nor is waiting until Level 41 just to get to the middle stage.

On the next step, we get a new friend:

Machine Head the Klink
Clear Body
Jolly
Somewhat Vain
-Vicegrip

Ian once wiped against the Totem Mimikyu, so he gave me something that would be sure to beat it! The Klink line is so cool! Steel typing is always a plus, it has a great nature, and Shift Gear is one of the best set-up moves in the game! My team is also looking pretty Unova at this point, and I'm starting to get concerns that these guys will all evolve pretty late.

The next teammate starts to hatch after a bit more walking, and this time, the hatching animation has a neat blue background:

McCloud the Vulpix♂
Snow Warning
Mild
Mischievous
-Powder Snow
-Moonblast
-Extrasensory

So that's what was in that Premier Ball! I see I got the Hidden Ability, too! I'm pretty sure this one's parent had Perfect IV's, so I'm willing to bet that McCloud has a couple, too. I'm definitely not looking forward to having to keep this guy alive long enough to finally get an Ice Stone, but with some powerful Egg moves like that, it may not be that much work after all!

It took much longer to hatch this next teammate:

Monkey Bizns the Oranguru♀
Symbiosis
Timid
Capable of Taking Hits
-Confusion

Monkey! Single Stage Pokemon tend to do pretty well in the beginning parts of a Nuzlocke, so it's nice to have a "safe" teammate that I can use to help the others through the low levels. Psychic/Normal is also a really interesting typing! The Psychic part appreciates the Ghost immunity, while the Normal part appreciates not being weak to Fighting type! Timid is also a great nature for a Special Attacker!

It took a VERY long time for this last Pokemon to hatch, which could mean only one thing: I was getting a Pseudo-Legend:

Goopy Gal the Goomy♀
Gooey
Jolly
Capable of Taking Hits
-Tackle
-Bubble

GOOEY BABEY!!!!!!!
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Finale

Last edited:

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With our team of six established, we set about the task of exploring Melemele Island. Before I do that, though, I make sure to do some grinding to make my team the level they should be after beating the Trainer's School.

Monkey Bizns takes an early role as the person teammates switch grind into. Since she's a single stage Pokemon, her stats are way ahead of the curve at this point in the game, meaning I can use her as a "safe" Pokemon to get a few levels on other teammates. Eventually, Penny-pede learned Poison Sting, giving it something that dealt damage without locking into a move. Goopy Gal had also learned Absorb, giving it some semblance of move variety. One thing that stuck out to me is that Goopy Gal and Monkey Bizns took about twice as much EXP to level up as the other teammates, so I decided to forgo the EXP share in order to stop some of the other 'mons from getting super ahead in their levels.

Slowly, I made my way into Hau'oli City, where I got a number of neat things, including the ability to take photos, and the Silk Scarf. I did some some grinding in the grass in the city as I made my way to the Marina, where Monkey Bizns trounced Team Skull, and then beat Ilima after a few Confusions. Ilima recommended I make my way up Route 2 to go to the trial, which I did!

As I made my way there, my team learned some neat moves! Hot Stuff learned Confuse Ray, Night Shade, and Will-o-Wisp, Goopy Gal finally got a usable move in Dragonbreath, Machine Head learned Gear Grind, which is an awesome multi-strike move, and Monkey Bizns learned Stored Power, which has great synergy with the Work Up TM I got for completing the Trainer's School.

With these new moves, I decided I was adequately prepared to take on the trial in Verdant Cavern. Fortuitously, the Brick Break TM is located in Verdant Cavern, making the battle with the Totem Gumshoos way easier. The only thing on my team capable of learning Brick Break was Monkey Bizns, so I went ahead and taught it to her. I looked at my team to decide who I should start the battle with, and my decision came down to 3 Pokemon:

Monkey Bizns​

McCloud​

Machine Head​
Pros:
-Highest stats on the team so far
-Knows Brick Break
-Needs the EXP the most

Cons:
-Weak to coverage Dark moves
-Brick Break comes from lower Attack stat, Gumshoos gets a Defense boost
-Ability is almost useless
Pros:
-It knows some powerful moves, making it the most offensively oriented teammate
-Hail damage
-Special Attacks mean I ignore the Gumshoos's Defense Boost

Cons:
-Low Defense
-Hail hurts teammates if I switch
Pros:
-High Defense
-Resists STAB Normal moves
-Immune to stat changes

Cons:
-Not powerful enough to defeat Gumshoos before it calls for help, meaning the battle will be 2v1
-Gear Grind has 85 Accuracy
I figured Goopy Gal didn't have the movepool or the defense to take this one, Penny-pede's best move is Poison Sting, and Hot Stuff fears the Dark moves too much to really use them in this battle. Who do you think I used?

vs

Machine Head's Gear Grind takes Gumshoos to just below half health. Luckily, it uses Leer, which does nothing due to Clear Body. It summons a Yungoos before Machine Head's second Gear Grind kills it. Machine Head takes a Pursuit no problem, and swiftly dispatches the Yungoos for the win!

Normalium Z Get!
After getting the Normalium Z, I made my way through the rest of the trainers I could get to on the island. Notably, the only Pokemon that could make any use of Breakneck Blitz on my team were Goopy Gal with Tackle, and Machine Head with Vicegrip.

I put a few more levels (and some neat moves!) on my team, and made my way back to Iki Town to take on Kahuna Hala.

Vs. Hala
vs

Penny-Pede's quad-resistance to Fighting moves, coupled with its high Defense, make it a great answer to Hala. I used its newly learned Poison Tail to take out Mankey without too much trouble.

vs

While Sand-Attack makes this matchup annoying, Makuhita only knows Normal and Fighting damaging moves, meaning it was only a matter of time before Hot Stuff's new move Flame Burst took it down.

vs

Yes, I know it was a tad risky, but I was pretty confident McCloud's Moonblast would OHKO (which it did!).

Fightnium Z Get!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
With Hala's Grand Trial complete, I was given a Ride Pager, which allowed me access to Tauros's ability to smash rocks. I tried to access all of the locations on Melemele that I could get to with my newfound steed. Most notably, I got the Never-Melt Ice and the Expert Belt in Seaward Cave. McCloud is now a pretty scary 'mon! I also now have access to two battling areas: I could rebattle Ilima, and start training at the Battle Buffet. I began with the Battle Buffet, and after clearing it out, decided to take on Ilima. Machine Head made short work of his two Pokemon, so at that point I had done all I could do on Melemele Island.

I boarded Professor Kukui's boat and we went to Akala Island. After mashing through all the dialogue, the first thing I did was booked it to the Pokemon Center so I could buy the Aurora Veil TM for McCloud. I didn't quite have enough money, so I sold all of my Pokeballs (since I'm not planning on catching any Pokemon in this run) and taught McCloud Aurora Veil. I used this move to make McCloud super tanky so I cold beat Dexio's Slowpoke and Espeon, and I got the Zygarde Cube for my troubles. The trek to Paniola Town was pretty uneventful, as was the battle with Hau I had when I got there. In Paniola Ranch, I got some neat stuff, including Stoutland as a Ride Pager Pokemon, and the Scope Lens. Because I'd spent so much time in Pokemon Refresh, the Scope Lens gives my Pokemon a ridiculously high chance of scoring a critical hit.

North of Paniola Ranch, I encounter and battle Gladion on Route 5. Goopy Gal blasts away his Zubat with Breakneck Blitz, but I don't trust Goopy Gal to be able to defeat Type: Null, so I defeat it with Monkey Bizns's Brick Break. I decide this is a good route to grind for the Brooklet Hill trial, and I eventually find the TM for Charge Beam. Both Monkey Bizns and Machine Head were capable of learning it, so I taught it to them in anticipation for battling some Water types. Monkey Bizns especially enjoyed the synergy between Charge Beam and Stored Power.

During the grind, Penny-pede evolved into a Whirlipede!

Once I felt ready, I sized up my team to determine who would take on this Trial. Hot Stuff is definitely sitting this battle out. Penny-pede and Machine Head had relatively low Special Defense, so I decided it was between my most Specially Defensive Pokemon:

McCloud​

Monkey Bizns​

Goopy Gal​
Pros:
-Hail gets rid of the rain
-Moonblast can lower Special Attack
-Aurora Veil protects both McCloud and any teammates if I switch

Cons:
-Setting up Aurora Veil means it will definitely summon a SOS partner
-Best attacking move is non-STAB, neutral Moonblast
-Totem Wishiwashi knows Rain Dance, so I can't re-summon Hail without switching
Pros:
-High base stats
-Super Effective Charge Beam
-Sp. Attack boosts from Charge Beam/Work Up

Cons:
-Charge Beam has a 10% chance of missing
-Summoned Wishiwashi know Feint Attack
-Ability is useless
Pros:
-Resists Water moves
-Super Effective Absorb heals off damage
-It's baby

Cons:
-Non-STAB Absorb has pitiful base power
-Wishiwashi is already pretty slow, making Gooey pretty useless
-If it summons Alomomola, she may not have the damage output to out-damage Heal Pulse

Who do you think I used?

vs.

I know this battle would be a battle of attrition, so I started with a Dragonbreath to paralyze it, which it does! It summons another Wishiwashi, and I begin the long process of Absorbing its health away. Totem Wishiwashi does turn Goopy Gal into a Water Type with Soak, but I don't particularly mind that since I wasn't getting STAB on Absorb anyway, and I still resist Water moves. Even with its Sitrus Berry, Goopy Gal is still comfortably healthy when it finally succumbs, and it doesn't take long to finish the small fry with Dragonbreath.

Waterium Z Get!

After the triumph at Brooklet Hill, I head back south towards Royal Avenue. I help Hapu beat Team Skull, and then Goopy Gal uses her new Hydro Vortex to win the Battle Royal. Before long, I'm up at Wela Volcano Park and facing down my next trial. One tough aspect of the Fire type Trial is that it's three battles in a row where you have no opportunity to heal, rearrange your party, or change up movesets. Still, I knew I had a pretty good path to victory:

vs.

Two Confusions took out Marowak pretty quickly. Monkey Bizns did have to sponge a Flame Wheel, though.

vs.

I swapped to Goopy Gal to heal Monkey Bizns. She had to withstand a Smog, but a quick Hydro Vortex took out this butthead.

vs.

Monkey Bizns took it out with two Confusions, but not before it summoned a Salandit and used Torment and Flame Burst. Monkey Bizns withstood a Venoshock and took out Salandit without batting an eye.

Firium Z Get!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
I completed the Fire type Trial, which gave me access to Route 8. From Route 8, you can get the last few trainers on Route 5, which allows you to battle the Trial Guide on Route 5. This lets you get the TM for Nature Power, which I taught to Monkey Bizns. Oranguru can only learn one special Normal move (Round) so Nature Power helps to patch up that lack of STAB when it summons Tri Attack.

After a few battles, I was starting to notice that my Pokemon weren't quite as dominant as they were in the early game. That's part of the punishment of having late-evolving 'mons. I decided to grind to Level 30 to ensure that my Pokemon would be ahead of the curve. I also got a new evolution for my efforts!

Penny-pede evolved into Scolipede!​

I think it's funny how Penny-pede has evolved twice before anything else has evolved once! I decided to put her to the test:

vs.

Lurantis's Razor Leaf did pitiful damage to Penny-pede, but her Poison Tail managed to get a critical hit thanks to how much she loves me, so that's the easiest trial so far!

Grassium Z Get!

The next task was to mash through all the dialogue back at the Dimensional Research Lab before I could go into Diglett's Tunnel and make my way to Konikoni City. Making my way through the cave was pretty uneventful. Hau and I teamed up to beat Team Skull, which didn't really pose any sort of challenge to Goopy Gal and her Hydro Vortex. While in Konikoni City, I got what might be my most important item yet: the Eviolite! Now my team was substantially less vulnerable while they're trying to get to a point where they can evolve. Defensive buffs in hand, I made my way through Memorial Hill and toward my final trial in Akala: a battle with Olivia. Before I could do that, however, I had to battle Plumeria.

Vs. Plumeria

vs.

I actually led with Goopy Gal, but decided I liked Monkey Bizns in this matchup better. Swapping let it use Confuse Ray, though, so it took me a couple turns to actually hit it with an OHKO Confusion.

vs.

This matchup is much more favorable! A quick Hydro Vortex took it out without trouble.
Plumeria defeated, I healed my Pokemon and headed to battle Kahuna Olivia:

Vs. Olivia

vs.

I thought this one was going to go more smoothly than it actually did. I paralyzed it with Dragonbreath while it paralyzed me with Thunderwave. Next, I used Hydro Vortex, which did not KO. She healed, and I had to spend an agonizing amount of time wearing it down with Bubble. Goopy Gal eventually won, but not without some help healing.

vs.

This one went much more smoothly. I took advantage of the fact that Nature Power turned into Energy Ball to defeat Boldore without much fuss.

vs.

Eviolite really came in handy for this fight. Lycanroc's best move against Klink is Bite, so it was only a matter of time before Gear Grind took it out.

Rockium Z Get!

After that climactic battle, I was able to explore Hano Grand Resort and Hano Beach to get the last few things I could do on Akala out of the way. I then went with Faba and Hau to Aether Paradise. After mashing through some dialogue, I got to battle some sort of inter-dimensional Pokemon.

vs.

A couple of Confusions took out this strange jellyfish without much fuss.
For my efforts, I was given a Psychic TM, which I eagerly taught to Monkey Bizns, and sent on my happy way to Ula'ula Island!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
As soon as I stepped off the boat onto Ula'ula Island, Hau challenged me to a battle.

vs. Hau

vs.

Two Tri Attacks (summoned via Nature Power) took it out. It's Electro Balls did take Monkey Bizns to not quite half health, though.

vs.

A Hydro Vortex made short work of this flaming fiend.

vs.

Luckily, a critical hit due to Penny-pede's love for me made it so that I took out Hau's Brionne before it could use a Z-move.
My next stop was Malie Garden. As I began clearing out the trainers and finding all the items, I heard a small "DING!" as I encountered a Pokemon in the grass...

A Shiny Poliwag appeared!
I'm not sure I would have even noticed it was shiny if I wasn't playing with the sound on! This is a very lucky break! I threw a Quick Ball at it, which immediately caught it!

★ Poli-Swag★ the Poliwag

Damp
Bashful
Level 25
Alert to Sounds
-Double Slap
-Rain Dance
-Body Slam
-Bubble Beam

That's a less than 1 in 4000 chance! I can hardly believe it! It also gives me a little bit of cushion in case something on my team dies. With renewed confidence, I resumed battling my way through Malie Garden. By this time, Goopy Gal had learned Body Slam, and McCloud had learned Aurora Beam. Professor Kukui told us to head toward Mt. Hokulani and the Electric Type trial. Before I had to head that way, though, I went with Lille to the library, where we learned about Legendary Pokemon.

After I mashed through the plot, I cleared out the trainers both north of town near the recycling plant, and south of town on Route 11. I made my way through the rest of the trainers I could get through on both Route 10 and Mt. Hokulani. As I made progress, McCloud learned Ice Beam, Goopy Gal learned Muddy Water, Penny-pede learned Steamroller, and I taught the Volt Switch TM to Machine Head. I also made a couple of upgrades to my team:

Machine Head evolved into a Klang!
Hot Stuff evolved into a Lampent!
Goopy Gal evolved into a Sliggoo!
And with that, I had the confidence I could take on the next two battles:

Vs. Molayne

vs.

I used Will-o-Wisp to break Sturdy. Air Cutter didn't do much due to Eviolite, and I took it out with a Flame Burst.

vs.

Sucker Punch didn't do much, but Hydro Vortex sure did!

vs.

Flame Burst OHKO'd no problem!
And onto the trial! Like the Fire Trial, you don't have an opportunity to swap or heal between battles in the Electric Trial. Fortunately, Hot Stuff can take advantage of the fact that I'll be battling all Bug types. I left the Eviolite on it, and it Flame Bursted the Grubbin/Charjabugs no problem.

vs.

Flame Burst was weakened thanks to Vikavolt's berry, which means it didn't quite get rid of half of its health. It summoned a Charjabug, and did some damage with Spark. Spark paralyzed, but luckily, Flame Body also burned. Hot Stuff got rid of the paralysis due to affection. Flame Burst KO'd Vikavolt as Charjabug Thunder Waved. Again, affection cured paralysis. Flame Burst OHKO'd Charjabug.

Electrium Z Get!

Steelium Z Get!
Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Having burned through the Electric Trial, I headed back to Route 11 to get through the barricade there. Once through, I was given the Mudsdale Ride Pager from Hapu, which let me make my way through Route 12. During this drive, McCloud learned Blizzard, finally letting it take full advantage of the fact that it summons Hail when it comes out. Battling my way to Tapu Village was pretty uneventful, but I managed to get some decent grinding out of it.

I mashed my way through a couple of encounters with the NPCs of the game, but I was finally able to challenge the trial at Thrifty Megamart.

vs.

This is what Machine Head was literally bred to do. Shadow Claw did about 1/4 of Machine Head's health, and unfortunately, Gear Grind missed, allowing it to summon a Haunter. It copied Gear Grind with Mimic, and my Gear Grind busted disguise and took it to half health. Haunter then took Machine Head to almost half with Night Shade. Haunter's Sucker Punch and Mimikyu's Shadow Claw took Machine Head to about 1/3 health left, and then it took out Mimikyu with Gear Grind. Sucker Punch did another 5 damage as I Volt Switched to Penny-pede, who took it out with a quick Steamroller.

Ghostium Z Get!

Easy peasy, Mimi-squeezy! I headed back to Aether House where Plumeria was waiting for me.

Vs. Plumeria:

vs.

Poison Fang did poison Monkey Bizns, but it still OHKO'd with Psychic.

vs.

Flame Burst did practically no damage as I OHKO'd it with Hydro Vortex.
And with that, I learned that Team Skull stole a kid's Yungoos and were demanding I come alone to Po Town. Normally, when I play, I try and beat as many trainers and do as many side-quests as I can before I advance the plot. This time, however, I went straight for Po Town avoiding as many trainers as I can. You see, on the left side of the mansion in Po Town, near the pool, there's an Ice stone, which means...

McCloud evolved into a Ninetales!
And then I flew back to Tapu Village to defeat all the trainers on the routes leading up to Po Town! On Routes 16 and 17, I found the TMs for X-Scissor and Poison Jab, respectively, which both found their home on Penny-pede's moveset! With a substantially beefier team, I fought my way through some Skull grunts to Guzma.

Vs. Guzma:

vs.

Poison Jab took away almost half of its health. It used Swords Dance. Luckily, I KO'd with the second Poison Jab.

vs.

Fell Stinger did maybe 40% of Goopy Gal's health, and then Gooey dropped its speed. Hydro Vortex didn't quite KO, but with the speed drop, she was able to finish it off with Dragonbreath.

Bugnium Z Get!

Well, as it turns out, this was all a ruse to get me away form Lillie so that Team Skull could take her to Aether Paradise. Gladion wasn't happy about this, so he and I battled.

Vs. Gladion:

vs.

Body Slam took it to around half, while Acrobatics did about 1/3 of Goopy Gal's health, while Gooey slowed it down. Body Slam didn't quite KO, and Acrobatics took her to yellow health. Dragonbreath finished it off.

vs.

X-Scissor OHKO'd.

vs.

Savage Spin-Out didn't quite take it out, so it got a Crush Claw out that did around 1/4 of Penny-pede's health. I finished it off with another X-Scissor.​

I almost forgot something! I ran to the desert east of Tapu Village, and after using Goopy Gal to Hydro Vortex a bunch of Sandiles...

Psychium Z Get!

Monkey Bizns would not appreciate me missing that Z-Crystal! I flew back to Malie City to take on my last Ula'ula trial:

Vs. Nanu:

vs.

It annoyingly Faked Out, but a Moonblast took it out with no problem.

vs.

Another Fake Out meant they both got damaged by McCloud's Hail. Power Gem and another round of Hail took Penny-pede to just 49 HP left, but she OHKO'd with Savage Spin-Out.

vs.

This thing couldn't take a Blizzard. At least it didn't Fake Out.

Darknium Z Get!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Gladion, Hau, and I went over to Aether Paradise to help rescue Lillie and stop Lusamine. Once there, I made my way through all the Aether employees in the docks before going with Gladion to the elevator. Once we went up the elevator, I battled Faba, who's Hypno I one-shotted with Penny-pede's Savage Spin-Out. That let us go down to the secret labs. Once there, McCloud took out most of the remaining trainers with it's Blizzard. We headed back up, and I had a battle where I teamed up with Gladion. They weren't a match for Monkey Bizns. Then, I teamed up with Gladion to fight Faba and an Aether Employee:

Vs. Faba and Aether Foundation Employee:

vs.

Monkey Bizns Calm Minded while Hau's Raichu took out the Ledian. It wasn't able to stop the Light Screen from coming up, though. I had three Calm Minds up when I took out Slowbro with Nature Power, which turned into Tri Attack.

vs.

This thing couldn't hope to stand up to a +3 Tri Attack.

vs.

This one actually got a little interesting! Hypno outsped Monkey Bizns and put it to sleep with Hypnosis. It then Disabled her. When Monkey Bizns woke up, she finished it off with Stored Power.
Faba's defeat let us head for Lusamine's house. First, I made my way through the remaining Team Skull grunts, which Monkey Bizns made short work of. Unfortunately, I forgot to rearrange my Pokemon for the battle against Guzma...

Vs. Guzma:

vs.

This is a pretty bad matchup! Better switch!

vs.

Unfortunately, as I switched, Golisopod used Swords Dance. That's not good. Penny-pede Poison Jabbed it, which left it at just above half health. It used Razor Shell, which took Penny-pede to deep red health. I've got to switch, or she'll die!

vs.

Goopy Gal is the only member of the team who resists Water moves. I swapped her into a Razor Shell, which left her in the deep red too. It did, however, activate Gooey, slowing Golisopod down. Again, I have to switch, or Goopy Gal will die. But who can take a +2 Razor Shell?

vs.

I swap back into Monkey Bizns, and to my relief, she survives with just a few HP left. I activate the Normalium Z on Nature Power, which turns into Breakneck Blitz, allowing me to secure the KO and get Golisopod out of my life.

vs.

I set up Aurora Veil first thing, which made Masquerain's Air Slashes do pathetic damage. I used this opportunity to heal everyone back up, and then took out Masquerain with Blizzard.

vs.

Penny-pede set up an Iron Defense, so Pinsir does paltry damage. I KO'd it with two Posion Jabs.

vs.

Penny-pede Baton Passed that Iron Defense over to Machine Head so that Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch did pathetic damage. Gear Grind OHKO'd it.​

WHEW! That was a close one. At this point in the game, I'm about level 46-47, but I decide that that battle spooked me enough that I should do some grinding. I flew to Po Town to make that happen. Because it rains on that route, I got a neat little set of evolutions...

Goopy Gal evolved into a Goodra!

Machine Head evolved into a Klinklang!

Upon evolution, Goopy Gal learned both Power Whip, and Aqua Tail, which I let it learn, since it had slightly higher Attack than Special Attack. I can also mitigate their somewhat shaky accuracy by turning them into Z moves. Goopy Gal also learned Dragon Pulse just before she evolved, making her a bit of a force to be reckoned with.

With my team all at level 50, I turned my sights on Lusamine:

Vs. Lusamine:

vs.

Gear Grind is much stronger after Machine Head evolved, so it scored a quick KO.

vs.

I decided this was the threat I wanted to use my Z move on, so I took it out with Shattered Psyche.

vs.

Blizzard took this plant out in one hit!

vs.

Mismagius's Mystical Fire and Hail damage dealt 40 damage to Monkey Bizns, who took Mismagus to not quite half with Psychic. Power Gem and Hail dealt another 40 damage, while I Psychiced again. Another round left Monkey Bizns with just 42 HP left, but I managed to KO it. Hail faded.

vs.

McCloud re-summoned hail and buffed her defenses with Aurora Veil. With the veil up, Hydro Pump only dealt 35 damage. I took it out in just two Moonblasts thanks to an affection critical hit.
With that, Lusamine used Nebby to summon an Ultra Wormhole, which she and Guzma jumped through! Oh no!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

Last edited:

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
After clearing out Aether Paradise, I was given the Master Ball by Gladion. Lillie and I then set off for Poni Island. After making it to Poni Island, I immediately set off for the Poni Wilds. In the water, there's an underwater item that contains a Dusk Stone, which means...

Hot Stuff evolved into a Chandelure!
Meaning my team is officially fully evolved! Woohoo! I beat all the trainers I could before I got to Hapu's house, where I was given Machamp as a Ride Pager summon. I used this to go back to all the places I could use it, which got me a few neat TMs, and the Flying Z crystal.

Flynium Z Get!

A new Z crystal in hand, I went to advance the plot. Hapu became the Kahuna, and Lillie and I went to Exeggutor Island to get the Moon Flute. While there, I decided to grind my team up to Level 55 in preparation for the battle with Hapu. Upon leveling up, Goopy Gal learned Outrage, and Machine Head learned Shift Gear. Neat!

Vs. Hapu:

vs.

Her Dugtrio outsped Monkey Bizns to set up Sandstorm, but I took it out in one hit with Nature Power (which turned into Earth Power).

vs.

Mudsdale is easily Hapu's biggest threat, so I made sure to use Bloom Doom off of Goopy Gal's Power Whip to take it out before it could use a Z move. The only damage she took was from Sandstorm.

vs.

McCloud's Snow Warning got rid of Sandstorm and replaced it with Hail, giving me an easy OHKO with Blizzard.

vs.

Gastrodon was quickly taken out with a Power Whip, which actually hit, thankfully.

Groundium Z Get!

Piece of cake! I made short work of Vast Poni Canyon, and took the opportunity to grind my team to level 60 before the final trial. I also received two important items: The TM for Flamethrower, which I taught to Hot Stuff, and...

Fairium Z Get!

Thanks, Mina! This will be especially useful for the next big battle...

vs.

I decided to go all-or-nothing with this one. Luckily, it decided not to protect, so McCloud's Twinkle Tackle (coming from Moonblast) was able to KO it in one shot. I'm glad I was fast enough to outspeed it! It was even a critical hit, due to affection!

Dragonium Z Get!

With the Island Challenge trials behind me, Lillie and I ascended the Altar of the Sunne to transform Nebby into Solgaleo and go after Guzma and Lusamine.

Vs. Lusamine:

vs.

One Gear Grind took it out!

vs.

Just like before, I saw this as her biggest threat, so I took it out in one shot using Shattered Psyche.

vs.

I know I'm basically retreading the same steps I went through in her first fight, but this thing fell to a Blizzard.

vs.

I again decided to make use of Monkey Bizns's immunity to Ghost moves. Mystical Fire and Hail damage took her to 145/190 HP. Mystical Fire also lowered her Special Attack. I took advantage of the fact that Nature Power turns to Psyshock in Ultra Space to hit Mismagius's lower Defense. Even with the Special Attack drop, Psyshock took it below half health. After another turn of Psyshock, it was out.

vs.

Another lucky break for me as I KO'd with a critical hit Power Whip due to affection!
With Lusamine defeated and the primary plot behind me, I went with Nanu back to Tapu Village. I have 7 more big battles before my game is over!

Penny-Pede
Hot Stuff
Machine Head
McCloud
Monkey Bizns
Goopy Gal

ZHODY

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
ZHODY have minimal knowledge of almost every subject. They take pride in this.
looks great, dude!

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
looks great, dude!
Thanks! Hope you enjoy!

The final stretch is upon us! At the base of Mt. Lanakila, I was challenged by Gladion.

Vs. Gladion:
vs.

I decided to use this poor matchup to set up 6 Shift Gears. It kept using Acrobatics, and I healed up before I actually attacked it. When I took it out with Gear Grind, Machine Head had 141/166 HP.

vs.

A Wild Charge took Lucario out, and the recoil left Machine Head at 105 HP.

vs.

Another Wild Charge left Machine Head at just 65 HP.

vs.

I tried to take Weavile out with a Gear Grind, but it missed! It then hit Machine Head with Night Slash, taking it down to just 11 HP! Thank heavens it didn't crit! I used a Max Potion to heal Machine Head before it could be taken out by Ice Shard, and then OHKO'd it with a Gear Grind.
That was a little too close for comfort! In Sun, Mt. Lanakila doesn't have any trainers in the cave, so I didn't waste much time getting the items in there, and getting out.

Icium Z Get!

Now, I have every type of Z crystal! McCloud sure would have appreciated this earlier! I made it to the Pokemon Center on the top of Mt. Lanakila, and then took some time to grind up all of my Pokemon one last time. After I finished, I topped off their levels with all of the Rare Candies I had collected over the course of the game, and used all my PP Ups and PP Maxes to give some low PP moves, like McCloud's Blizzard, more uses. I bought a bunch of Full Restores, and headed out for one last set of challenges. My first opponent, before I could even go into the Pokemon League, was Hau.

Vs. Hau:

vs.

Raichu outsped, obviously, and hit Hot Stuff with a Thunderbolt, and then was taken out in one hit by a critical hit Shadow Ball. After Hail damage, Hot Stuff was sitting at 128/194 HP.

vs.

Megahorn hit, luckily, and KO'd Komala in one hit. The only damage Penny-pede took was from hail.

vs.

Aqua Tail also made contact, meaning the Goopy Gal was only hurt by Hail.

vs.

A quick Gigavolt Havoc off of Machine Head's Wild Charge spelled the end for Hau's Championship dreams.
And with my last hurdle before the League overcome, I took a quick look at my team:

Hot Stuff the Chandelure Lv. 70
Flame Body, Brave
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Will-O-Wisp
-Confuse Ray
HP:194
Attack:145
Defense:143
Speed:147
Special Defense:151
Special Attack:240

Penny-Pede the Scolipede Lv. 69
Poison Point, Hardy
-Megahorn
-Iron Defense
-Poison Jab
-Baton Pass
HP:190
Attack:175
Defense:151
Speed:202
Special Defense:129
Special Attack:100

McCloud the Ninetales Lv.70
Snow Warning, Mild
-Blizzard
-Moonblast
-Extrasensory
-Aurora Veil
HP:197
Attack:148
Defense:120
Speed:204
Special Defense:161
Special Attack:167

Machine Head the Klinklang Lv. 70
Clear Body, Jolly
-Wild Charge
-Shift Gear
-Volt Switch
-Gear Grind
HP:192
Attack:189
Defense:173
Speed:202
Special Defense:154
Special Attack:117

Monkey Bizns the Oranguru Lv. 68
Symbiosis, Timid
-Psychic
-Stored Power
-Calm Mind
-Nature Power
HP:214
Attack:119
Defense:138
Speed:129
Special Defense:181
Special Attack:150

Goopy Gal the Goodra Lv. 70
Gooey, Jolly
-Power Whip
-Aqua Tail
-Body Slam
-Outrage
HP:234
Attack:194
Defense:129
Speed:180
Special Defense:238
Special Attack:171

I decided to take on the Elite Four in the order I found most to least threatening. I started with Olivia, since half my team takes Super Effective damage from Rock moves.

Vs. Olivia:

vs.

I put the Wide Lens on Goopy Gal before this fight so she would have the maximum chance of OHKOing with Power Whip, which she did!

vs.

This was my best opportunity to set up six Shift Gears. All Carbink could do is put up a Reflect and chip away at Machine Head with Moonblast. I healed it with a Lemonade before going on my sweep, but unfortunately, it did put up a Reflect the turn I healed before I took it out with Gear Grind.

vs.

I took out the rest of Olivia's team using Gear Grind. Probopass actually barely lived it, but all it did was Thunder Wave, which was immediately healed via affection.
With the Rock Chamber behind me, I figured my next most scary opponent was Hala:

Vs. Hala:

vs.

I didn't want Hariyama to hit Monkey Bizns with a Knock Off, so I decided to burn my Z crystal early and take it out with Shattered Psyche.

vs.

A quick Poison Jab OHKO'd Primeape. I put the Poison Barb on Penny-pede to maximize how much damage it did.

vs.

Yeah, this thing didn't stand much chance against Hot Stuff's Flamethrower.

vs.

A Power Whip took Poliwrath down in one hit.

vs.

I let Hot Stuff take advantage of Fluffy's pseudo-weakness to Fire.
Halfway through the Elite Four! Let's go to the Flying Chamber!

Vs. Kahili

vs.

I had Hot Stuff use Confuse Ray, hoping it would hurt it self and break Sturdy before it could set up Spikes. Unfortunately, it did, so I hit it with Flamethrower, activating Sturdy. Luckily, it hurt itself on turn two, fainting before it could set up a second layer.

vs.

Sorry you had to get stabbed by Spikes, McCloud! I took out these two with a couple quick Blizzards.

vs.

Between Spikes and Hail, Machine Head's gonna have to deal with some passive damage. Toucannon began to charge a Beak Blast, but it never got a chance to use it since Machine Head hit it with a Gigavolt Havoc.

vs.

I finished this Golfing Girlie by having Goopy Gal yell "FORE!" as she used her Aqua Tail to send Oricorio flying.
One last person between me and the Champion's chair.

Vs. Acerola:

vs.

This battle is McCloud's time to shine! I had it take out Sableye with a Moonblast. It's super nice to be able to hit this thing with Super-Effective moves! It didn't even use Fake Out, for some reason.

vs.

McCloud was able to exploit the non-Ghost typing of these 'mons to take them out with Super-Effective Blizzards, making good use of the Expert Belt.

vs.

Sadly, McCloud wasn't quite able to get the clean sweep. I actually took Froslass out with Corkscrew Crash. Normally, I didn't bother to Z-power Gear Grind, since I wanted to keep the multi-hit aspect. I used the Z move this time since I didn't want it to use my own Hail against me with it's Snow Cloak. Z moves don't check accuracy, so it had no chance of dodging.
Elite Four defeated! With them in the past, I took my seat on the Champion's chair, and was greeted with one last challenger...

Vs. Kukui:

vs.

Lycanroc actually outsped Goopy Gal, but luckily, it's Stone Edge missed due to affection. I'm glad it didn't use Stealth Rock! Goopy Gal took it out with an Aqua Tail.

vs.

Incineroar is easily Kukui's most threatening Pokemon, since it knew a move that hit each member of my team Super-Effectively. Fortunately, Incineroar only has middling speed, so I had Goopy Gal take it out with Hydro Vortex.

vs.

Hot Stuff took Kukui's Ninetales out with a Flamethrower, but not before it got off a Blizzard, leaving Hot Stuff at 161/196 HP.

vs.

Snorlax is another Pokemon I didn't have a fantastic answer to. I decided to target it's lower Defense with my strongest physical move, which was Penny-pede's Megahorn. I hit it with one, which took it to about yellow heath, and it hit Penny-pede with a Body Slam, taking her to 144/196 HP. Surprisingly, on the next turn, Kukui swapped it to Braviary, which withstood a Megahorn with green health.

vs.

I knew a Brave Bird would be incoming, so I swapped into Machine Head, who took it comfortably at 156/194 damage. It KO'd with Wild Charge, leaving Machine head at 125 HP after recoil. Kukui then sent Snorlax back in, which I took out with Penny-pede's Megahorn.

vs.

I had Hot Stuff break Sturdy with Will-O-Wisp this time, since I didn't want to risk it hitting me with Mirror Coat. It used Thunder Wave, but this only played into my hand. I had put a Lum Berry on Hot Stuff specifically for this instance, which cured the paralysis. The burn damage from Will-O-Wisp broke Sturdy, allowing me to safely use Flamethrower and take out Magnezone for the win!​

And with that, my quick little Egglocke was over! I'm super thrilled with the Pokemon that Ian picked out for me! It was such a fun time coming up with strategies to defeat the various challenges that Alola threw at me, and I couldn't be happier with how the game played out.

Thank you so much for reading my little log! If you ever need an Egglocke team, feel free to hit me up! I'd love to help people out with runs like this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)