• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Kanto Teen A Journey of Self-Discovery - Nerdy's Pokémon FireRed Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Thread for my FireRed Storylocke

NerdyEdits

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Don't piss him off, or you're gonna have a bad time.

Hello everyone, and welcome to my Storylocke! I completed this Nuzlocke of FireRed back in 2016, and was working on the story of it two years ago on the old forums. However, I let life get in the way and stopped releasing chapters. However, with the new forums, I've decided to give it another ago! So please enjoy!
1. Catch first Pokemon on every Route ONLY!!!

If first Pokemon is KO’d, no dice

2. If a Pokemon faints, it’s dead

3. Dupes clause

-If I find a Pokemon I’ve already caught, I have two more chances to catch a new Pokemon

-If I find a Pokemon I’ve already caught, but has died, I may catch it or pass it up

4. Gift Pokemon don’t count as the areas catch (Example: I can go back to Pallet Town and catch a Pokemon in the water, even though I’m given a starter at the beginning)

5. Legendaries can either be ignored, or defeated, not captured

6. All Pokemon must be nicknamed

7. If a Shiny is found, I may break the rules to catch it

8. No healing during battles. Outside of battles is okay.

-During Boss battles, I am allowed to use two HP healing items and one status restoring item

9. Since I’m playing on an emulator, if there is a Pokemon that evolves through trade and/or daytime based evolution, I can use a save editor to evolve them

-However, if there is extra criteria to evolve that Pokemon, it must be met first
Indigo Plateau - 10 Years Ago

Thousands of spectators filled the seats of the Pokémon League stadium at the top of the Inigo Plateau. On the field were two competitors and their Pokémon locked into a fierce battle. One was a seasoned veteran, with steely blue eyes squinted with determination. The other was a nervous-looking teenager with carmine colored hair.

The boy’s Dragonite surrounded itself in a blue and green aura and slammed into the vet’s Rhydon. The Drill Pokémon quickly recovered and summoned pillars of stone from the ground. The Dragonite flew into the air and began weaving between the pillars to avoid being hit. When the Dragon-Type spun to the right to avoid an attack, another pillar jetted out from the ground and jabbed it in the side.

Pallet Town - Same Time

“Ooo, that’s gotta hurt!” the announcer’s voice rang from the speakers of the TV in the living room.

Three children sat around the TV surrounded by snacks and a blanket fort, intently staring at the Pokémon battle on the screen.

“I told you Ace was gonna win this one,” a spiky-haired child snorted.

“I hope that Lance guy wins it,” an auburn-haired girl stated. “Dragon Pokémon are so cool!”

“Being cool doesn’t win Pokémon battles.” a bespectacled child said without looking away from his notebook.

“You’ve barely been watching the fight,” the girl scoffed. “You’ve just been taking notes that whole time.”

“How else am I gonna become Champion when I’m older?”

“Get real,” the first boy snorted again. “What makes you think you can be Champion?”

“Why couldn’t I be?”

“Because I’m gonna be Champion!” he stated proudly. “Face it Nerdy, you won’t even get past one Gym Leader.”

“Don’t be a dick, Richie!” the girl yelled.

“Come on, Kat! Do you really think he’s gonna be Champion?”

“That’s not the point!”

As the two bickered, the boy called Nerdy tuned them out and continued watched the rest of the fight play out. He jotted down the styles of the fighters, hoping that one day we could use something similar to make him a successful trainer.

Present Day

A swarm of students gathered around a wall covered with pieces of paper, hoping to see their name on one of them. The crowd slowly dissipated as students walked away with either bright smiling faces, or looks of dejection. Slowly, a bespectacled boy with brown curly hair made his way to the wall of names and looked for his own. After perusing the lists, he found his name, and a wide smile spread across his face.

“I did it,” he mumbled to himself. “Yes! I’m gonna be a Pokémon Trainer!”

Attachments

Last edited:

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Although this is a flashback, I think the best part about this is that the kids are, well ... kids. It's all in the argument—Richie's snide remark about Nerdy's abilities, Kat's quickness to defend (with a curse, no less!), Nerdy's self-confidence mixed with idealism ... it's all very much something you'd see out of a bunch of preteens talking about how cool they'll be one day.

Which is whyyyyyyyy seeing Nerdy cling to that dream through ten years, only to finally get a shot at his first step is just great. Like, not to patronize him, but not that many people hold on to childhood dreams. They learn the harsh realities of what it'll take to achieve those dreams, and they modify that dream to be less "I will be the best" and more "I will do my best" ... if they don't give up altogether. It's nice to see Nerdy's not one of those people, and I'm looking forward to where his journey will take him hereafter.

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
May 25th - Pallet Town - Pokémon: 0 - Deaths: 0
Pallet Town, despite being one of the smallest towns in Kanto, is home to the prestigious Pallet Town Trainer Academy. Students from all over the world come to learn from their prestigious line of teachers, the best of them being Professor Samuel Oak. When students complete their four years of education, they take the trainer's exam, a three-part exam that tests their general knowledge, battle aptitude, and their mental health. After finding out the results of the exam, the students who passed are allowed to pick up their trainer's license from the head office of the academy.

A curly-headed boy in an aviator jacket excitedly tore open the envelope and pulled out his license.

"Aw man," he sighed. "I told them to use the second picture."
Finn "Nerdy" Yates

-Didn't pick the nickname

"Nerdy!" a redheaded girl yelled and pushed passed other students picking up their licenses to get to Nerdy.

"Watch it!" a guy yelled at her.

"Sorry!" she squealed.

Nerdy's eyes widened as she barred towards him.

"Wait, Kat!" Nerdy slowly started backing up.

"We did it!" she wrapped him tightly in a hug, "We're gonna be trainers!"
Katerina D'Angelo

-Never sits still

"I'm happy too," Nerdy said in a strained voice. "But I think a Pokémon Trainer needs their lungs."

"Sorry!" she backed off and Nerdy took in a massive gasp of air. "But this is a momentous occasion!"

"I know!" Nerdy smiled. "Come on. My mom is making her-"

"World famous stew?" Kat interrupted.

"How'd you know?"

"I've known you and your mom since I was in diapers, dude," Kat rolled her eyes. "I know that your mom always makes your favorite dish to celebrate momentous occasions."

"Okay Ms. Knowitall" Nerdy laughed. "Come on, let's-"

"Attention students," a woman's voice projected from the school's PA system. "Could the following students please report to the cafeteria? Richard Oak, Matilda Steedly, and Finn Yates. Please report to the cafeteria Thank you."

"Ooooo," Kat laughed. "Someone's in trouble."

"Ah man," Nerdy wined. "I've got stew to eat."

"Well hurry up and get down there. The faster you get this over with the fast we can get back to your place."

"Good point. Go ahead and go to my place and I'll meet you thereafter."

"Will do," Kat turned to walk away. "And if I'm nice maybe I'll save you a bowl!"

"You better be joking!" Nerdy yelled as the redhead sprinted towards the nearest exit.

Nerdy turned around and began making his way to the cafeteria. As he walked past the crowd of his fellow classmates, he pondered what he was being called to the cafeteria.

Could it have something to do with my placement on the exam? he thought to himself. After all, if Richard and Matilda are gonna be there too, it would make sense.

Nerdy reached a large set of red double doors and swung them open. After taking a few steps into the cafeteria, he noticed that his fellow classmates were already there. One was a boy with brown spiky hair, and the other a dark-skinned girl with brown curly hair. Sitting across from them was an old man in a white lab coat.

"Ah, Nerdy!" the old man smiled. "Please have a seat!"

"Professor Oak?" Nerdy was stunned to see the old man. "It's, uh, good to see you too sir."
Professor Samuel Oak

-Founder of the Pallet Town Trainer Academy and former Pokémon League Champion

"Come on, Gramps," the spiky-haired boy snapped. "I'm fed up with waiting!"

"You are one bright young man, Richard," Samuel said. "But patience is something you still need to learn!"
Richard Oak

-(Somewhat) Lovable Asshole

"Now that he's here, can we please hurry this up?" the dark-skinned girl said bluntly. I have things to do."
Matilda Steedly

-Dummy Rich

"Seems the impatience is contagious," Oak laughed. "But I understand your curiosity."

"I'm admittedly quite curious, sir," Nerdy said, taking a seat next to his peers.

"Well," Oak clapped his hands together. "I won't keep you waiting any longer! After looking at all the scores, it seems that you three have achieved the top three scores of your class! Congratulations!"

"Naturally," Matilda rolled her eyes.

"Oh try to act a little excited, Matilda," Oak grumbled. "Anyway. Because of your impressive feat, I have a special reward for the three of you!"

"What is it, Professor?" Nerdy beamed.

"In August, when the three of you leave Pallet Town, you will receive a brand new model of the PokéDex that isn't available to the public, some spending money to help you out at the beginning of your journey, and a special Pokémon to accompany each of you!"

The teenagers' eyes widened. Most of their classmates would have to take out a loan and rent a Pokémon from the League. But they would be getting one for free?

"That's amazing." Richard marveled.

"What kind of Pokémon?" Nerdy excitedly asked.

Oak reached into the pocket of his lab coat and pulled out a new model of the PokéDex. He pressed a few buttons and showed his students the pictures of the special Pokémon he was referring to.

"On the morning you leave for your journey, you'll have the choice to choose either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle," Oak said. "These three species of Pokémon were at one point quite common across the Kanto Region. Sadly, with the increase of poaching from groups like Team Rocket, their populations have dwindled and are now rarely seen in the wild."

"Then how do you have access to those Pokémon?" Matilda asked.

"I have a friend who has a special license to breed the three species. She was more than willing to supply the Pokémon, as long as I swore that they'd be going to competent trainers."

"Awesome!" Nerdy grinned ear to ear.

"Well Nerdy seems to be in," Oak laughed. "What about you two?"

"Of course I'm in, Gramps." Richard scoffed.

"Me too." Matilda nodded.

"Splendid!" Oak chimed. "I'll send you more information about it later in the summer. I look forward to seeing you in August!"

As the four filed out of the cafeteria, a wide smile spread across Nerdy's face. It seemed unbelievable that this was really happening. Before getting too far however, a hand tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey Nerdy," Richard said. "Could I talk to you for a second?"

"Uh," Nerdy's brow furrowed. "Sure, I guess."

Nerdy was in shock. He couldn't remember the last time Richard spoke to him without insulting him.

"So," Richard avoided eye contact. "You actually did it."

"Thanks?" Nerdy pondered whether or not that was supposed to be a compliment. "You too."

Both of the young men looked around awkwardly.

"Listen," Richard sighed. "I'm gonna be the strongest trainer in Kanto. And the strongest trainer needs the strongest rival. So don't disappoint me."

Richard began walking away from Nerdy. Before completely walking out of sight, he stuck up and waved a dismissive hand.

"Smell ya later, Nerdy." he sneered.

Nerdy stood still for a moment in silence. As he watched his spiky-haired classmate walk away, a twinge of nostalgia made him feel sad.

He sighed, then whispered to himself: "Nice talking to ya, Richie."

Last edited:

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
June 17th - Pallet Town

“Hoenn?” Nerdy blurted.

“Yes sir, I’m going to Hoenn?” Katerina proudly stated.

Nerdy and Kat sat on the curb outside of their favorite ice cream shop. While the two were happily eating, hearing this news made Nerdy spit some of the ice cream out of his mouth.

“Why would you wanna go to Hoenn?” Nerdy asked.

“Hoenn has such a rich history that really feels like it’s worth exploring for a young, intelligent, and striking archeologist.”

Nerdy looked at his ice cream cone with a bland expression for a moment.

“That makes sense,” he admitted. “But I thought we were going to travel Kanto together.”

“I thought that too,” Kat said. “But this is too good of an opportunity to pass up. Going on this journey is perfect for me. I can explore the region, raise Pokémon, and research Hoenn’s history all at once! Besides, you’ll have your super special Pokémon to keep you company.”

“I know it’s best for you,” Nerdy said sadly with a mouth full of ice cream.

“Awww,” Kat hugged him. “We’re still best friends though, right?”

“Yeah we are.”

“Perfect! Then you’re coming to my going-away party.”

“When is it?”

“Last week of June!”

“Sounds good,” Nerdy took a bite of his waffle cone. “I’ll be there.”

June 29th - Pallet Town

“Oh my! That’s got to be a devastating attack!” an announcer’s voice blared from Katerina’s TV speakers.

The several teenagers surrounding the TV cheered at the battle happening on screen. Every year, just before the beginning of the official League season, The Elite Four and Champion would have a few scrimmage matches to get people excited for Pokémon battles.

On the field at the Indigo Plateau, a Gyarados and a Jolteon battled it out at the behest of their trainers. With a swift Thunderbolt, the Jolteon easily knocked down the massive Water-Type.

“And with that, Lance’s Gyarados is down!” the announcer cheered. “Lance now has one Pokémon left, while Champion Ace has two!”

“You think Lance is gonna pull this one off?” Kat asked.

“I think that history speaks for itself,” Nerdy said confidently.

“Ace is getting pretty old, you know,” she said. “And Lance is still in his prime. I wouldn’t be surprised if he took this one.”

“Wanna bet?”

“You lose, and you owe me a 12-pack of Caterpie-Cola.”

“Deal.” the pair shook hands.

The dragon master Lance returned his defeated Pokémon and pocketed the PokéBall. He pulled out another one and tossed it confidently.

“Here comes Lance’s trump card!” the announcer exclaimed. “It’s Dragonite!”

The powerful Dragon-Type slammed onto the battlefield and the stadium went wild. Lance gave a command, and Dragonite leapt into the air. It surrounded itself with a green and blue aura, launched itself into Jolteon, and sent the Electric-Type into the wall of the stadium.

“It’s a One-Hit Knockout!” the announcer cried. “Lance’s Dragonite easily takes out Champion Ace’s Jolteon!”

“That twelve-pack is mine!” Kat said to herself.

Champion Ace returned the fainted Pokémon, and readied his final PokéBall. He tossed it, and a beam of light crackled from the opened capsule. The beam touched the ground, and formed into a massive Pokémon.

“And there she is!” the announcer sound ecstatic. “The very same Pokémon that won Ace the Championship all those years ago, Rhyperior!”

The Rhyperior looked around and pumped her fist in the air. She then glared and the Dragonite, and the two lunged at each other. Dragonite surrounded itself in the green and blue aura again, and slammed into Rhyperior. Rhyperior’s fist began glowing with power, then she slammed it into Dragonite’s underbelly.

“It looks like Dragonite’s Outrage is no good! Rhyperior knocked the wind out of her opponent with Brick Break!”

Dragonite stumbled backward, trying to regain its balance. Before it could, Rhyperior’s glowing fist changed from a yellow tint, to a blue one. Rhyperior lunged again, slammed Ice Punch into Dragonite, and sent it flying across the stadium. Lance’s Pokémon slammed into the ground, unable to move.

“And there it is folks! Lance is still no match for Ace’s unyielding power!”

“Told you.” Nerdy sneered.

“Goddamit!” Kat yelled.

Later That Night

At about ten o’clock, the party guests filed out of Kat’s house, leaving Katerina and Nerdy behind to clean up the mess.

“Apparently our friends have never heard of a garbage can before,” Kat said sarcastically, and she swung a bag of trash over her shoulder. “Why do we hang out with them again?”

“Because Pallet is the size of a Joltik,” Nerdy dumped an armful of empty bottles into a blue recycle bin. “And it was either hang out with them, or be at the bottom of the food chain all throughout school.”

“Oh look at Mr. Big Talker,” Kat exaggerated her words. “You know you’re gonna miss Pallet.”

“I’ll miss certain things,” Nerdy and Kat began walking towards the outside trash can. “But I’ve always wanted to-“

“‘See the world?’” Kat interrupted. “I’ve been hearing that line since we were 13.”

“Well it’s true! First I’ll-“

“‘Travel all of Kanto, then hop on a boat and sail to somewhere far away.’”

“Shut up.”

The duo made their way outside and dumped the bags of trash in the trash can by the curb.

“Well buddy,” Kat rubbed her shoulder. “In a little over a month, you can start getting all of Kanto of your list. And who knows? Maybe tackle a few Gyms along the way.”

“Nah,” Nerdy shrugged and put his hands in his pockets. “I gave up that dream a long time ago.”

Kat’s smiled faded as Nerdy finished his statement.

“Finn Maxwell Yates,” Kat shook her head in shame. “You’re really gonna squander all that potential?”

“I guess so.” Nerdy’s hands pressed harder into the lining of his jacket pockets.

“Even after getting one of the highest scores in the class for the battling exam?”

“Yeah, but..”

“No buts!” Kat snapped. “You are a talented individual and I won’t let you leave this spot until you promise me that you’ll at least consider taking the Gym challenge.”

“Kat, come on,” Nerdy rolled his eyes.

“I will call your mother!”

“Okay! Okay,” Nerdy ran his hand through his hair. “I’ll think about it.”

“You better. You owe it to yourself.”

“You could be a motivational speaker, you know that right?”

“Shut up, smart-ass,” Kat rolled her eyes. “Alright, begone. It’s already dark, and I don’t want you getting mugged.”

“Who gets mugged in Pallet?” Nerdy began to walk away.

“That’s what the last guy who got mugged said!” Kat yelled after him. “Now you better get home before I kick your ass, Nerdy!”

“No!”

Nerdy began running away frantically, knowing full well that his old friend could easily take him down in a fight.

“That boy,” Kat shook her head. “One of these days he’s gonna have to learn how to deal with his shit.”
And here's the second part of Chapter 1! I wanted to explore Nerdy and Kat's friendship in this chapter. And for those that like Kat, don't worry! I'm sure we'll see her again sooner or later. The final part of Chapter 1 will be out soon. Hopefully we get to see some Pokémon soon!

Last edited:

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
August 2nd

“Mom!” Nerdy yelled.

“What?” her voice echoed from downstairs.

“Have you seen my shoes?”

“Did you check your room?”

“I’m in my room mom, they’re not here!”

About an hour before his appointment with Professor Oak, Nerdy finalized what all he needed to take with him. Just when he thought he had assembled everything in his backpack, he realized his shoes weren’t where he left them.

“I bet it was that damn Persian,” Nerdy mumbled.

“Forget your shoes for a minute, come down here!”

Nerdy huffed, grabbed his backpack, and made his way towards the door. Before walking through the doorway, he stopped. He turned around and stared at his desk. Nerdy walked back to the desk and opened the top drawer. After moving various objects out of the way, he found a worn-out yellow notebook. “Trainer Guidebook” was handwritten across the cover. The boy grabbed it, tucked it into his backpack, and headed for the stairs.

The stairs led directly into the kitchen, where a variety of breakfast foods were spread across the kitchen table.

“Surprise!” Nerdy’s Mom cheered.

Lisa Yates
-One hell of a chef

“Oh gosh, mom,” Nerdy beamed. “You didn’t have to do all this!”

“Nonsense!” Lisa rolled her eyes. “Your baby only leaves home once. I’m sending him off with a full belly!”

“You are my favorite person alive right now.” Nerdy took a seat.

Nerdy began stuffing his face with his mom’s pancakes and the various pastries she had laid out for him.

“So, are you ready for your big day?” Lisa asked.

“Awf weady awf I’ll eva be.” Nerdy said with a mouth full of food.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full sweetie,” Lisa scolded. “You’ll choke.”

“Sowwy,” Nerdy took a big gulp. “I mean, ‘sorry.’"

“You finish packing all of your things?”

“Yep. I just need to find my shoes. Have you seen-“

Before Nerdy could finish his sentence, the front door flung open and a greying Persian made his way into the kitchen.

“Hey Leese, breakfast ready yet?” the Persian asked.

“And good morning to you too, Titus,” Lisa glared at the feline. “Your breakfast is in the living room.”

“Thanks.”

“Hey Titus,” Nerdy glared at the Persian more intensely than his mother. “You wouldn’t know where my shoes are, would you?”

“Sure I do,” Titus said between bites of food. “I got bored and chewed ‘em up. Left ‘em outside overnight.”

“Dammit, Titus!” Nerdy exclaimed.

“Watch the language, Finn,” Lisa scolded again. “We’ll clean them off before you leave.”

“Why can’t he stay at Oak’s lab with the rest of your old team?”

“Oh be nice!”

While Lisa wasn’t looking, Titus sneered at Nerdy. In retaliation, the boy flipped of the Normal-type.

“Bye mom!” Nerdy swung the front door open. “I’ll call you when I get to Viridian!”

“Get your ass back here and hug your mother!” Lisa called after son.

“Fine,” Nerdy rolled his eyes.

Before Nerdy could even lift his arms, his mother wrapped him tightly.

“Mom,” Nerdy croaked. “Please let go.”

“Five more seconds!” Lisa cried. After the five seconds passed, Lisa reluctantly released her grip. “You’re going to be gone for God knows how long. Like I was gonna let you get away without a hug.”

“I figured you wouldn’t,” Nerdy gasped for air.

“Now you better get going! Don’t want to keep everyone waiting.”

“Right,” Nerdy regained his composure. “Bye mom! Love ya!”

“Love you too! Now go get ‘em, honey!”

Lisa watched with teary eyes as her only child ran into the distance. Titus, with bits of food covering his face, made through the front door behind her.

“So,” he said, startling Lisa. “What was all that nonsense about you telling the kid about his father before he left on his journey?”

Lisa wiped her tears away and a somber expression spread across her face.

“He’s not ready, Titus,” she said firmly.

“He isn’t? Or you aren’t?”

“Titus,” Lisa turned around. “There aren’t enough bottles of wine in all of Kanto to make me want to open that can of worms right now.”

Nerdy stood outside the gates to the Oak Laboratory. He gripped the strap of his backpack tightly, nervous about what comes next. He pressed the intercom button and waited for a response.

“Hello?” a voice crackled from the box.

“Uh, hey,” Nerdy said. “I’m one of the trainers here to pick up a Pokémon.”

“Ah, you must be the Yates boy,” the voice said. “The other two have already arrived. Come on in.”

The box let out a loud buzz, and the gates began to slowly open. Nerdy made his way along the gravel path to the front door of the lab.

“Uh, hello?” he poked his head inside the front door.

“Ah, Nerdy!” Oak looked up from a conversation he was having with one of his aides. “Glad to see you’ve made it.”

“Sorry professor. My mom surprised me with breakfast.”

“It’s quite alright my boy, but please come along!”

Oak led his student to the main area of the lab where Richard and Matilda looked quite impatient.

“It’s about time, Nerdy!” Richard sneered. “I’m fed up with waiting!”

“Seriously Finn,” Matilda rolled her eyes. “Someone as punctual as you being late on today of all days.”

“Never mind that now,” Oak said. “Come children, gather around.”

The three surrounded a small table with three PokéBalls on top. On either side of each PokéBall was a red PokéDex, and a pile of five PokéBalls shrunken down to pocket size. The far-left PokéBall had a leaf sticker on it, the middle had a water droplet sticker on it, and the far right ball had a flame sticker on it.

“On this table here are the Pokémon you may choose to accompany you on your journey!” Oak cheered. “Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander from left to right!”

“So who gets to pick first, Gramps?” Richard asked.

“In order to decide,” Oak reached into his lab coat pocket. “You’ll all pull straws! Shortest one gets to pick first!”

The old man held out a bundle of straws towards the teens. Each one pulled out a straw and let it sit in their open palm.

“Well would you look at that,” Oak beamed. “Nerdy, you’re up first!”

“Aw man,” Richard groaned.

“Oh hush Richard!” Oak snapped. “Go on Nerdy!”

Nerdy stepped up to the table and went over the options in his head. Based on his research, each of the Pokémon are solid options. Of course each had their pros and cons, but he really couldn’t go wrong either way. After a moment of thinking, he focused in on a specific PokéBall and pocketed the PokéDex next to it and hooked the shrunken balls on his belt.

“Ah, I see you’ve made your choice!” Oak said. “Well, don’t keep us waiting! Hurry and show us your new partner.”

“Sure thing Professor,” Nerdy smiled and took the PokéBall in hand.

Nerdy pressed the center button on the PokéBall, and it snapped open. A bright light flashed from the inside, and a beam of light shot out and touched the ground.
And finally, the last part of Chapter 1! I was really excited to introduce Lisa and Titus in this chapter. Fun fact, Nerdy's rivalry with Titus is based on my own disliking of cats. Nothing against them personally, I'm just allergic! I'm also glad I got to slip in a little bit of foreshadowing this chapter! And to cap it all off, a nice little cliffhanger until Chapter 2 comes out! No matter how you feel about this story so far, please leave a review and let me know what I can improve on! Thanks again to my friend Nina for beta reading, and I'll see you guys next time!

Last edited:

peaches

Pro-Lurker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 23, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Hey Man! Nice to see you back after all this time! I actually really like your characters having the mini-bios within the text, I always think that there's a really epic looking freeze frame while they're in the middle of doing something important. Still love the homey writing style and I like that Richard is actually like, a rival and not more of an enemy, though I do wonder when Matilda is going to come in again. And also I really hope Lisa tells her son what's up eventually!! Love the brewing family drama.

Anyways can't wait to see what your going to do with your starter's personality, always a lovely read! Hope to see another chapter from you soon!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Celadon City - 26 Years Ago

A brunette 16-year old girl walked out of her parent’s apartment with a trash bag hanging over her shoulder. She made her way down the metallic steps to the dumpster in the alley between her building and the next one.

She went to open the dumpster, and a ball of fuzz leapt out and clung to the trash bag. The fuzzball’s claws slashed open the trash bag and the contents dumped out onto the alley floor.

“Jesus Christ!” the girl gasped.

“Sorry lady,” the Meowth began rummaging through the garbage pile. “Just looking for something to eat.”

“And so you assault an innocent girl who’s just trying to throw out the trash?”

“It’s tough for a stray like me. I’ll snag some food where I can get it.”

After taking a few breaths, the girl was able to get a better look at the Meowth. He couldn’t have been more than a year old. His fur was overgrown and covered in mud, his claws were too long, and his face was thinning.

“You know,” the girl said. “You could come back to my parent’s apartment if you want. We’ve got food there that you could eat.”

The Meowth stared at the young girl for a moment. He looked down and the pile of garbage, then back to her.

“Alright fine,” he sighed. “Anything’s better then more garbage. What’s your name?”

“Lisa Yates,” she crouched down. “Do you have a name?”

“Titus.”

“Well, come on Titus. Let’s get you some food.”

Lisa scooped up Titus into her arms, and carried him back towards her apartment. The Pokémon, happy to finally feel affection of some kind, fell asleep in her arms before they even made it to the door.
So I've managed to put out a chapter a week so far, but the past couple of weeks have been SUPER busy for me. Because of that, I was unable to get a full Chapter finished by today. However, I decided to put up a little bonus chapter about Nerdy's mom, Lisa, meeting her partner Pokémon Titus. Hope you enjoy, and Chapter 2 will be out soon!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Pallet Town - Oak’s Lab - Pokémon: 1 - Deaths: 0

As the flash from the PokéBall faded, Nerdy’s Pokémon came into view. The orange creature looked around with a bright eyed look. Finally, he turned his head and stared back at Nerdy. He took notice of the open PokéBall in his hand.

“Are,” a smile began to spread across the Fire-type’s face. “Are you my new trainer?”

“I believe so,” Nerdy snapped the PokéBall shut, shrunk it, and stuck it to his belt. He crouched down to his partner’s level and stuck out his hand. “My name’s Finn Yates, but you can call me Nerdy.”

“Oh wow!” the Charmander beamed. He placed his tiny hand into Nerdy’s palm. “It’s nice to meet you too!”

“Do you have a name?”

“I mean, the other Pokémon at the lab just call me ‘Charmander.’ Except for an old Arcanine that lives out in the field. He calls me ‘annoying.’”

“Well I can’t very well call you that,” Nerdy laughed. He put his hand to his chin and thought for a moment. “How does ‘Niko’ strike you?”

“I love it!” Niko exclaimed. “I can’t believe I have my very own trainer!”

Charmander (Niko) Lv. 5 Male
Docile nature

“Alright, alright,” Richard interrupted. “Move aside, Yates. I’ve got next pick.”

“Who’s he?” Niko asked.

“That’s Richard,” Nerdy whispered. “Don’t mind him. He’s pretty impatient.”

“So it seems.”

Without hesitation, Richard grabbed the second PokéBall from the left. After pocketing his empty PokéBalls and PokéDex, he released his starter Pokémon.

“Whoa!” the tiny blue Pokémon that appeared from Richard’s PokéBall gasped. “I wasn’t the last one picked!”

“Hey there, Squirtle,” Richard waved. “The name’s Richie. I’m your trainer now!”

“That’s rad!” Squirtle beamed.

“Do you mind if I call you Markus?”

“Works for me, boss!”

“Please don’t call me that. Richie is fine.”

“Move aside, Richard,” Matilda interrupted. “I’ve places to be.”

Matilda pocketed her empty PokéBalls and PokéDex, and grabbed the last remaining PokéBall with Bulbasaur inside. She quickly turned around, and began walking away.

“Wait, Matilda!” Oak called after her. “Don’t you want to become acquainted with your new partner?”

My partner would do better to get used to me if we were to meet in private,” Matilda snapped. “And as I said before. I’ve places to be. Thank you again for the opportunity, sir.”

Matilda exited the lab without glancing back towards the Professor.

“Geez,” Niko whispered to Nerdy. “What’s up her butt?”

Nerdy stifled a snort.

“Well, to each their own I suppose,” Oak shrugged. “As for you two, you’ll find that your money has been transferred to your trainer card. I wish you both the best of luck on your journeys!”

“Awesome!” Nerdy smiled. “You ready to go, Niko?

“You bet!” Niko mimicked Nerdy’s body language.

“Then let’s-“

“Hold it, Nerdy!” Richard yelled.

“What is it, Richard?”

“We both have a Pokémon now, so naturally we should have a Pokémon battle!”

“Uhh, I don’t…” Nerdy began.

“Yeah!” Niko jumped up and down. “Let’s take them on!”

“Don’t get so cocky!” Markus sneered. “I’ll kick your butt!”

“Now now boys!” Oak intervened. “Let’s not start a battle in the middle of the lab! You’ll make a mess.”

“Right,” Richard let out a sigh. “Sorry, Gramps.”

Thank god, Nerdy thought to himself.

“I know!” Richard pointed his finger up. “Let’s have a battle on the school’s practice field!”

“Uh, wait,” Nerdy said nervously.

“That’s a fantastic idea, Richard!” Oak exclaimed. “I can’t believe my grandson is about to have his first League sanctioned battle.”

“Guys, wait…”

“I’ll see you over there, Yates,” Richard waved. “Come on, Markus.”

“Right, boss!” Squirtle saluted.

“Nerdy, Gramps. Smell ya later.”

The Squirtle and his trainer walked towards the exit and made their way out of sight. Nerdy remained in place, stunned.

Well shit, Nerdy thought. I guess there’s no backing out of this one. I mean, it should be fine. Right? Niko and Squirtle are relatively weak Pokémon right now. They shouldn’t be able to hurt each other too seriously at their current strength.

“You okay, Nerdy?” Niko asked, snapping Nerdy back to reality.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine!”

“You’ll have to forgive him, Niko,” Oak laughed. “This one often gets lost in thought.”

“Thanks, Professor,” Nerdy faked a laugh. “Come on, Niko. We should get going to.”

“Right!” Niko said. “Bye professor!”

“Bye, little one!” Oak waved.

The duo made their way out of the lab and up the stone path to the gate of the compound. They walked in silence for a moment. Nerdy tried and failed to come up with conversation topics that would be appropriate for a Pokémon.

“You know,” Niko began. “I’m glad you’re the one who picked me, Nerdy.”

“Why’s that?” Nerdy asked.

“Because out of the three of you, you’re the only one who I didn’t immediately think was a jerk after hearing you talk.”

Nerdy paused a moment, and started laughing.

“I’m glad I picked you too, Niko,” Nerdy whipped a tear away. “So, where are you from?”

“Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and I all came from a community of Pokémon that are under the protection of this really cool lady. We call her ‘Granny.’”

Okay, that’s adorable, Nerdy thought. “So where is Granny’s community located?”

“I dunno,” Niko shrugged.

“How do you not know where your home is?”

“Pokémon don’t really need to know where anything is.” Niko said as if it was obvious. “All I really know was that I used to live with Granny, and then I lived with the Professor.”

“That makes sense. Well hey, maybe one day we can ask the Professor where Granny’s place is, and we can go visit her.”

“That’d be awesome!” Niko’s tail began to wag. “And I can show her how strong I’ll be by then! Speaking of, where’s this battle happening?”

“We’re almost there,” Nerdy said. “The school practice field is only about five minutes away.”

“Well let’s hurry up,” Niko said. “I wanna hurry up and win!”

Niko took off running down the sidewalk, tail wagging side to side.

“Niko, wait up!” Nerdy ran behind his Pokémon.

The duo arrived at the school and follow a gravel path around to the back of the building where the practice fields were located.

“Is this it?” Niko asked.

“Yep, we’re here,” Nerdy replied. “It’ll be at the end of this path. I wonder if Richard’s here already.”

As the two got closer to the practice fields, a number of different voices could be heard.

“What’s that noise?” Niko asked.

“I don’t know,” Nerdy said. “Nobody else should be here right now.

Nerdy turned the corner and his heart sank. Richard and Markus were standing on the practice field, and a group of Richard’s friends were sitting in the bleachers.

“Goddammit, Richard,” Nerdy said through gritted teeth.

“Ah, finally!” Richard looked up at his rival. “‘Bout time you showed up.”

“Why the hell did you invite your friends here?” Nerdy asked.

“Markus and I are gonna stomp your ass, Yates,” Richard brushed his bangs to the side with his hand. “Like I wasn’t gonna turn it into a spectacle.”

I should’ve expected this, Nerdy thought. He’s a freaking glory-hog, of course he’d invite people. How could this get any worse?”

“Oh good!” Professor Oak’s said. “We haven’t missed the battle.”

Professor Oak, Nerdy’s mother, and her Persian, Titus, arrived at the practice field.

“Mom?” Nerdy blurted. “What are you doing here?”

“The Professor told me you were having your first battle,” Lisa said. “Like I was gonna miss it!”

Shit shit shit.

“Aw look,” a boy from the crowd yelled. “Nerdy needs him mom to back him up in a battle!”

Nerdy buried his hands in his jacket pockets and pressed hard into the seems. Not only was he about to be humiliated in front of his classmates, but now his mother as well.

Niko looked up and noticed Nerdy’s nervous expression.

“We don’t need anyone to back us up!” Niko yelled at the heckler. “We’re gonna win this fight easily!”

Nerdy was taken aback by Niko’s outburst, causing his hands to relax.

What the hell am I doing? Nerdy let out a sigh. I’m a Pokémon Trainer damnit! I can’t back down now!

“He’s right!” Nerdy yelled. “Niko and I are about to wipe the floor with these two!”

“Whatever,” the boy in the crowed yelled. “Kick his butt, Richie!”

The audience began cheering for Richard, which only served to anger Niko more.

“Enough talk,” Richard thrived off of the attention from the audience. “Let’s get this show on the road.”

As Richard and Markus walked to their end of the field, Nerdy crouched down to Niko’s level.

“Alright buddy, what do you notice about your opponent?”

“Hmm,” Niko started intently at Markus. “He’s blue?”

“Not what I was going for. What else?”

“He’s got that shell on him.”

“Exactly! While members of the Squirtle evolution line adjust to the weight of their shell overtime, young Squirtles have trouble standing up if they’re knocked on their backs. All we’ve got to do is knock Markus on his back and we win.”

“Got it!” Niko nodded.

“Well if you two don’t mind, I would be happy to be the referee for this match!” Professor Oak stood just out of bounds in the middle of the field. “Are you two both ready?”

“Yes sir,” Nerdy nodded.

“I’ve been ready!” Richard sneered.

“Then you may begin the battle!”

“Go get him, Niko!” Nerdy exclaimed. “Start out with Scratch!”

Niko and Markus began running across the battle field towards each other. Niko’s tiny claws began to glow with a white light, and he began slashing at his opponent. Niko landed several hits on Markus’s belly, which seemed to do little damage. Markus tucked his head into his shell, and slammed Niko in the torso, sending him rolling backwards.

“Ugh,” Niko moaned, slowly pushing himself up.

“You okay, Niko?” Nerdy asked.

“Yeah, I’m good,” Niko said. “He just knocked the wind out of me.”

“My shell’s too tought for you!” Markus pounded his fist on his chest. “Just give up, Flame-Butt.”

“Shut up, Shell-Boy!”

Niko launched himself at his opponent and began slashing at him again. After taking a few more Scratch attacks, Markus slammed his shoulder into Niko, knocking him down again.

“Dang it,” Niko muttered.

“You can’t let your emotions get the better of you!” Nerdy yelled. “Wait for my command!”

“You two are made for each other!” Richard boasted. “Your Pokémon’s as much of a spazz as you are!”

Richard’s friends howled with laughter, causing the fire on Niko’s tail to flare up.

“Easy, Niko, “ Nerdy said. “Stick to the plan.”

“You’re right,” Niko breathed slowly, and the flame on his tail simmered down.

“I’ve had enough of this!” Richard exclaimed. “End it, Markus! Tackle!”

“You got it!” Markus began running full sprint towards Niko.

Niko looked back at his trainer for a command, but Nerdy stood silent. Nerdy simply nodded.

“Aww, look at him,” one girl jeered. “Yates has given up already!”

“You got him now!” another boy yelled.

Markus was just a few steps away from ending the match, when Nerdy finally issued a command.

“Scratch!”

Niko slashed upward into Markus chin, stopping his momentum completely. Before he could regain his balance, Niko slammed into Markus’s chest and knocked him onto his back.

“Hey!” Markus awkwardly flailed side to side. “I can’t stand up!”

“No!” Richard screamed. “Come on, Markus! Get up!”

“It appears that Markus has been rendered unable to battle,” Professor Oak said from the sideline. “Which makes Niko and Nerdy the winners!”

“Yes!” Nerdy’s mother cheered. “I knew he could do it!”

“We won!” Niko began jumping up and down.

“Holy crap,” Nerdy muttered. “We won. We won!”

Nerdy ran onto the field, and scooped his starter Pokémon into the air.

“Good job, Niko!” Nerdy spun his starter around.

“Please put me down,” Niko begged. “I’m gonna barf!”

“Whoops, sorry buddy.”

As Nerdy celebrated, Richard’s friends all began talking amongst themselves. They were all in disbelief that he had managed to lose.

“Can you believe it?” one boy asked.

“Holy shit,” another girl said. “I thought for sure Yates would get his ass handed to him.”

Richard listened in horror. He looked onto the field where his starter Pokémon was still flailing around. He exhaled sharply and walked over to Markus.

Markus stopped flailing when his trainer stood over him.

“I’m sorry boss,” Markus said. “I let you down.”

“Don’t worry, buddy,” a soft expression was on Richard’s face. He lifted the Squirtle back to his feet. “You didn’t let me down.”

Richard looked up towards the audience.

“Thank you all for coming,” he waved. “Smell ya later!”

Richard and Markus began walking away, and Richard’s friends all followed him out.

“Figures,” Nerdy whispered to Niko. “We’re the winners, but he gets all of the attention.”

“That Grandson of mine, I swear,” Professor Oak grumbled. “I do apologize, Nerdy. He shouldn’t have been such a sore loser.”

“It’s alright, Professor.”

“Sweetie!” Lisa squealed and tackled her son into a hug. “I can’t believe you won your first battle!”

Nerdy let out choking in sounds in an attempt to speak, deeply concerning Niko.

“No!” he yelled, pulling on Lisa’s pants. “Let him go!”

“Niko, it’s okay,” Nerdy wheezed. “This is my mother.”

“Oop, sorry dear,” Lisa relinquished her son. “And hello to you cutie!”

“Hi,” Niko said nervously. “I’m Niko.”

“You are just adorable! You better watch out for my son, Niko!”

“Yes ma’am!” Niko’s tail wagged back and forth.

“Mom, I’m supposed to be the one watching out for him!” Nerdy’s face turned red.

“Being a trainer is a mutually beneficial relationship,” Oak said matter of factly. “If a trainer takes care of their Pokémon, their Pokémon will do the same for them.”

“Yes, Professor,” Nerdy nodded. “Well thank you guys for coming. Niko and I got to get moving if we wanna make it to Viridian by tonight.”

“Goodbye, boys!” the Professor smiled. “And good luck to you both!”

“Bye sweetie! You boys be safe!” Lisa said with tears in her eyes.

“You ready, Niko?” Nerdy smiled at his partner.

“Let’s go!” Niko cheered.

The duo ran towards the end of Pallet Town with smiles on their faces, excited for whatever the journey ahead of them would bring.
Holy crap, I actually completed another chapter. Let's see if I can complete another any time soon. Tell me what you think of this one, and I'll see you guys in the next update!

hyperjono

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Is a known bookworm. Is most happy when lost in their own little world
This is a great story so far. I enjoy the way you have written Richie and Nerdy, and Niko so far reminds me of a puppy a little. And that little comment Titus made about to Lisa has made me curious as too who Nerdy's dad is.

And I like how you have made the Pokémon speak human. That's rare to see in a written story. Can't wait to see how the rest of your story develops.

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Route 1 - During Nerdy and Richard’s Battle

Matilda Steedly walked along a path off to the main area of Route 1. After reaching a small clearing, she pushed her rose colored sunglasses up to her forehead. She then reached into her shoulder bag and pulled out a PokéBall marked with a leaf sticker.

“This should be private enough,” Matilda said to herself.

She pressed the center button of the PokéBall and tossed it into the air. The ball snapped open and shot a beam of light towards the ground. The light formed into a confused looking Bulbasaur.

The Grass-type looked around to get ahold of his surroundings. He slowly looked up to meet his new trainer’s eyes, nervous to speak.

“Uh, hi,” the Bulbasaur said meekly.

Seemingly ignoring him, Matilda reached into her bag and pulled out her PokéDex. The screen flashed to life and displayed information on Bulbasaur stats and moves.

“I can work with this,” Matilda snapped her PokéDex shut. “Brutus, we need to start your training immediately.”

Bulbasaur looked around for whoever was named “Brutus,” before realizing she was referring to him.

“Uh, is that supposed to be me?” he asked.

“Precisely. You catch on fast. Now chop chop. Your training starts now.”

“But why so quickly?” Brutus asked. “We haven’t even gotten to know each other yet.”

Matilda crouched down to be closer to Brutus’ eye level. “You see Brutus, I’m on a sort of… mission. And I need strong Pokémon to help me complete my mission. So we need to get you trained up as soon as possible.”

“What kind of mission?” Brutus cocked his head.

Matilda took a deep breath before responding. “Brutus, I’m a girl who gets what she wants. And right now, there are people getting in the way of what I want.”

“What is that you want?” Brutus asked.

“All in due time,” Matilda put her sunglasses back over her eyes and stood back up. “For now, we’ve got training to do. I want ten laps around this clearing. Now!”

“Yes ma’am!” Brutus croaked and began running around in circles as fast as his stubby legs could carry him.

He’s obedient, that’s good, Matilda thought. This might work out after all.

As Matilda looked on, Brutus frantically tried to keep up his pace to impress his new trainer.

This is brutal! Brutus thought. I wonder if this is the kind of stuff Charmander and Squirtle will have to deal with.
Just a little Bonus Chapter to expand more upon Matilda's motives and introduce her partner, Brutus. I'm excited to explore more of her story and her relationship with Nerdy and Richard! Stay tuned for Chapter 3, and let me know what you think of the story so far!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Route 1 - Pokémon: 1 - Deaths: 0

Not long after Nerdy’s battle, he and his partner Niko walked along a dirt path on Route 1. Nerdy’s hand rested comfortably in the pockets of his brown aviator jacket and his brown curly hair bounced as he walked. Niko walked just beside him, not even coming up to his knees. The Fire-Type’s tail wagged back and forth with every step he took.

“Hey Nerdy,” Niko said. “I’ve got a question.”

“What’s up, Niko?” Nerdy said.

“Where exactly are we going?”

“To be honest, I’m not quite sure,” Nerdy admitted. “But I know I want to get as far away from Pallet as possible.”

“What’s wrong with Pallet Town?”

“Nothing really. I’ve just lived there my whole life, and want to see what else this world has to offer.”

“Ohhhhhh. That makes sense.”

“I say we just explore around for awhile, and go wherever we want to. Does that sound good to you?”

“Yeah!” Niko’s tail wagged back and forth. “And when we’re done, we can go find Granny and tell her about our adventures!”

“Sounds like a plan!” Nerdy gave Niko a thumbs up. He then took his backpack off and set it down on a nearby tree stump. “But you know Niko, we can’t keep going just the two of us.”

“What do you mean?”

“We’re gonna need more Pokémon traveling with us if we’re gonna make it anywhere.”

“Awesome!” Niko’s tail wagged furiously. “What kind of Pokémon are we gonna add to our team?”

“I don’t know. We gotta find some Pokémon first.”

The two began looking around around for any sign of wild Pokémon. Besides a flock of Pidgey overhead, there were none to be seen. Just when it seemed like a lost cause, a bush began rustling nearby.

“There’s one!” Nerdy pointed. “Go after it, Niko!”

“I’m on it!” Niko said.

Niko dashed behind the bush in pursuit of the hidden wild Pokémon. After a moment of struggling, a purple rodent was flung from the bush and landed in front of Nerdy.

“What was that for?” the Rattata demanded.

Niko poked his head out from the bush. “You tried to bite me!”

“You scared the crap out of me! Literally!”

“I’m so sorry!” Nerdy ran his hand through his hair. “I guess I should have been more clear with my instructions.”

“You think? Who are you guys?”

“I’m Nerdy, and this is my partner Niko. We’re traveling around the Kanto region.

“And why exactly did you feel it necessary to assault me while I was pooping?”

Niko snickered. “I didn’t know you were pooping.”

“We didn’t mean to hurt you,” Nerdy stressed. “We were just looking for another team member to join us on our travels.”

“Well you can count me out,” the Rattata dismissively waved his paw and began walking away. “I’m gonna go find me something to eat.”

“Well, we understand.” Nerdy nodded at the Rattata. “Come on Niko. We need to eat too.”

“Sounds good,” Niko smiled. “I’m starving!”

“Me too! I’m gonna get me a burger at the Pokémon Center.”

Rattata froze in place and turned back to face Nerdy. “What’s a burger?”

“Oh it’s really good. It’s basically meat that you add toppings to and put between two buns. I personally like to add pineapple and hot sauce on mine, but my friend Kat says that makes me a weirdo.”

Rattata’s whiskers twitched with curiosity. “I have no idea what any of those words mean, but I want one.”

“Well if you come with us, you could get one.” Niko said.

“So what do you say?” Nerdy asked. “Wanna come along?”

The Rattata squinted his eyes, clearly considering his options.

“You know what, I think I will come along.”

“Perfect!” Nerdy pulled an empty PokéBall of his belt and pressed the center button to enlarge it. “You got a name?”

“My friends call me Vinny.”

Nerdy tapped the PokéBall to Vinny’s forehead and he was absorbed inside by a red light. The ball shook back and forth, and clicked to signify a successful capture.

“Well Vinny. Welcome to the team.”

Rattata (Vinny) Lv. 3 Male
Timid nature

Nerdy pressed the button on the PokéBall and released Vinny back onto the ground.

“What was that?” Vinny asked.

“Pokémon League requires that trainers register the Pokémon traveling with them with PokéBalls.” Nerdy put Vinny’s PokéBall back on his belt. “It also helps me keep track of your health with the PokéDex.”

“I don’t understand what any of that is,”

“I guess you wouldn’t.” Nerdy laughed.

“Come on, Nerdy!” Niko pulled on Nerdy’s jeans. “I wanna eat!”

“Alright alright. Come on, Viridian’s pretty close now.”

Viridian City - Pokémon: 2 - Deaths: 0

Viridian City is one of the many bustling metropolis areas in the Kanto region filled with people of many different lifestyles. The streets were filled with many trainers starting out on their journey, similar to Nerdy and his team. Many trainers were gathered outside a white building with a red roof known as the Pokémon Center.

Nerdy, Niko, and Vinny arrived at the Viridian Pokémon Center just before noon. Just across from the entrance was the healing desk manned by a nurse with wavy pink hair. To the left was a communication center, where people could use video phones and exchange their Pokémon with the PC System. To the right was a cafeteria where trainers could get a bite to eat. The second floor of the building was where traveling trainers could spend the night.

After ordering a burger, and two bowls of PokéChow, Nerdy and his Pokémon found a booth to sit in.

“How’s the food, guys?” Nerdy asked between bites.

“Really good!” Niko said, flakes of food being flung from his mouth.

“Not bad,” Vinny said. “But I do believe I was promised that burger thing you’re eating.”

Nerdy looked down at the remaining crescent of his burger. He shrugged, broke the remainder of his burger in half, and gave each piece to his Pokémon. “Here ya go.”

“Now we’re talking!” Vinny began digging in immediately.

“Thanks so much!” Niko ate the whole thing in one bite.

While his Pokémon finished their food, Nerdy turned his attention to the TVs hanging on the walls along the Pokémon Center’s café, which was turned onto the national news channel.

“…-cket members are typically seen wearing all black uniforms, but may also disguise themselves as regular traveling trainers as well,” the female news anchor said with a stern expression. “So if you see any suspicious looking characters on your journey, trainers, please notify the local authorities.” the news anchor’s stern expression shifted into a smile. “Speaking of traveling trainers, many trainers have already gotten their Gym Challenges underway on this first day of the Pokémon League season.” the scene shifted to a water filled battlefield inside of a Gym, where a trainer’s Farfetch’d leapt from platform to platform in order to avoid falling into the water. Mid-leap, the Gym Leader’s Staryu nailed Farfetch’d with a Water Gun, and sent the Flying-type to its trainer’s feet. “If you’re one of the many trainers taking on the league challenge, don’t forgot to reserve a spot as there’s a large amount of your fellow trainers aiming to take on the Gym Leaders as well.”

Nerdy’s stomach began to churn. He remembered his promise to Katerina that he would at least think about taking on the Gym Challenge, but putting in to action is a whole other thing. Nerdy shrugged off the nervous feeling, and pulled his PokéDex out of his pocket.

“What’cha looking at?” Niko asked curiously.

“The PokéDex has a map on it the shows what kinda of Pokémon live in the areas nearby. I want to stay in the city tonight, but Routes 2 and 22 are super close. So, we definitely have time to go and catch two more team members before nightfall.”

“Let’s do it!” Niko’s tail wagged rapidly.

“Where are we headed first?” Vinny asked with ketchup smeared across his mouth.

“Route 22 is closest. It should only takes us about 15 minutes to get there, then another 10 to Route 2.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Niko said before swallowing a mouth full of food. “Let’s go!”

Route 22

A lone Spearow pecked at the ground in search of grubs while Nerdy and his Pokémon looked watched from behind a bush.

“Alright, a Spearow,” Nerdy adjusted his glasses. “They’re a little unruly, but still a good Pokémon for beginners.”

“Do you want me to go first?” Niko asked.

“Hell no!” Vinny exclaimed. “You damn near broke my neck before! And if you piss off a Spearow, we’re all dead!”

“I said I was sorry.” Niko pouted.

“Be quiet!” Nerdy glared. “The Spearow’s going to hear us.”

“It’s kinda hard not to.” the Spearow quipped, now directly in front of Nerdy’s team. “The three of you are very loud.”

“Please don’t hurt me ma’am!” Vinny begged and bowed his head. “These two wanted to sneak attack you, but I told them it was a bad idea!”

“So what are you gentlemen doing out here watching me eat?” she asked, completely ignoring Vinny.

“We didn’t mean offense ma’am,” Nerdy said. “We were just looking for another Pokémon to add to our team.”

“Oh, you’re a traveling trainer,” the Spearow said. “I guess it is about that time of year.”

“So, would you like to tag along?” Niko asked.

“I suppose there isn’t much to do around here besides getting poop thrown at you by Mankey. Sure, I’ll tag along.”

“That’s great!” Niko outstretched his hand. “I’m Niko. Nice to meet you.”

“I’m Sharon,” she smiled. “Pleasure’s all mine.”

Spearow (Sharon) Lv. 5 Female
Bashful nature

Nerdy pulled out his PokéDex to type out Sharon’s information, then switched to the map application.

“Alright, now we just need a team member from Route 2 and we should be good for now!”

Route 2 - Pokémon: 3 - Deaths: 0

“So what kind of Pokémon are we looking for now?” Sharon asked from atop Nerdy’s shoulder.

“Good question,” Nerdy scratched his chin. “Well we’ve got Niko who’s a Fire-type. Vinny’s a Normal-type, and you’re Flying. So preferably, I’d like to find a Pokémon that isn’t any of those types. Personally I hope we find a Grass or a Water-Type to round out our coverage.”

While Nerdy wasn’t paying attention, a wild Pidgey flew down from an overhead tree and roosted in his hair.

Nerdy let out a long sigh and pulled out an empty PokéBall.

“I guess another Flying-type couldn’t hurt.”

“Hi, I’m Niko!” Niko waved to his new teammate. “What’s your name?”

The Pidgey nodded at Niko without saying a word. The team looked to him for a response and realized quickly they wouldn’t be getting one.

“Meowth got your tongue?” Sharon asked. “Our friend Niko asked your name.”

The Pidgey shrugged.

“Well, I guess he’s not a talker,” Nerdy tapped the PokéBall to Pidgey’s beak and capture him. “I’ll call you, Leopold.”

Pidgey (Leopold) Lv. 5 Male
Quiet nature

Nerdy picked Leopold off of his head and set him down with the rest of his Pokémon.

“Well now that we’ve got a good team going, it’s time to start training!” Nerdy said.

“Oh boy!” Niko started jumping up and down.

“Training?” Vinny gasped. “Why do we need to train?”

“It’s important to keep your Pokémon in shape both for their health, and so they can protect themselves if need be,” Nerdy said as if he were quoting from something.

“Oh geez,” Vinny groaned.

“Chin up, it won’t be so,” Sharon said. “If you get trained up, it’ll make it more difficult for you to get snatched up by Fearows.”

“Don’t. Even. Joke about that!” Vinny looked offended.

“Come on guys!” Niko huffed. “No more talking! Let’s train!”

“That’s the spirit, Niko!” Nerdy exclaimed. “Let’s go!”
Finally, Nerdy's got some more Pokémon! Very excited for you all to get to learn more about the team. The rest of Chapter 3 should be out soon! I already have the second part written so it should be out by the end of the week. If you're enjoying what you've seen so far, considering leaving a review and follow the story thread! See you guys soon!

Last edited:

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
This is a great story so far. I enjoy the way you have written Richie and Nerdy, and Niko so far reminds me of a puppy a little. And that little comment Titus made about to Lisa has made me curious as too who Nerdy's dad is.

And I like how you have made the Pokémon speak human. That's rare to see in a written story. Can't wait to see how the rest of your story develops.
Thanks for the review! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I'm very excited to explore Nerdy and Richard's relationship more. Niko may seem like a puppy right now, but we'll see if he stays that way through the whole story 👀

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Although this is a flashback, I think the best part about this is that the kids are, well ... kids. It's all in the argument—Richie's snide remark about Nerdy's abilities, Kat's quickness to defend (with a curse, no less!), Nerdy's self-confidence mixed with idealism ... it's all very much something you'd see out of a bunch of preteens talking about how cool they'll be one day.

Which is whyyyyyyyy seeing Nerdy cling to that dream through ten years, only to finally get a shot at his first step is just great. Like, not to patronize him, but not that many people hold on to childhood dreams. They learn the harsh realities of what it'll take to achieve those dreams, and they modify that dream to be less "I will be the best" and more "I will do my best" ... if they don't give up altogether. It's nice to see Nerdy's not one of those people, and I'm looking forward to where his journey will take him hereafter.
Wow, only a year late with the response haha. But trust me, this review meant a lot when I first got it in July. Nerdy seems to have ended up being more dismissive of his childhood dreams than he seemed to be, but we'll see how long it stays that way 👀

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!! 31 Minutos FTW!!!
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
This is quite a nice Coming of age Story.

Nerdy and company are such likeable characters, and this version of Kanto seems to be a really great place.
It makes me wonder how his views can change with all the experiences he might have on this journey, specially with the small implications and undertones about his family and this society as a whole.

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Route 2, A few hours into training - Pokémon: 4 - Deaths: 0

“Ember!” Nerdy exclaimed.

Niko whipped his tail around and flung a ball of embers towards the ground, leaving a charred spot in the dirt.

“How was that?” Niko asked.

“Really good, Niko!” Nerdy smiled. “You just learned the move but you’re already using it like a pro.”

The duo’s conversation was interrupted by a rustling noise in the direction of Viridian Forest.

“What’s that?” Niko asked.

“I don’t know,” Nerdy adjusted his glasses. “I’ll go check it out. You go back and keep training with the others.”

“Okay!” Niko chimed.

The Fire-Type ran back to his teammates, while Nerdy went to investigate. After searching through the trees for a few minutes, he couldn’t find the source of the noise.

Just as he was returning to his Pokémon, he heard a hoarse voice say: “H-help,”

Nerdy whirled around, and slowly walked towards the source of the voice.

“Hello?” Nerdy called out.

No response.

Nerdy walked farther into the trees, eventually discovering the source of the voice. A Weedle was laying on its back with blood pouring out of its neck. The injury seemed to be caused by a Rattata bite.

“Holy shit,” Nerdy covered his mouth. He rushed to the Weedle’s side. Careful not to touch it out of fear of making things worse. “It’s gonna be okay! We can get you to a Pokémon Center, you’ll be-“

Before Nerdy could finish the sentence, the Weedle let out its last breath and stopped moving completely. Tears began to form in Nerdy’s eyes.

“No,” he whimpered. “No shit. Not again.” he began pulling on his hair. “Not-“

“Nerdy!” Niko called. “Where’d you go?”

Niko’s called snapped Nerdy out of it. Quickly, Nerdy dug a little hole and buried the Weedle in it. He stood up, wiped the tears from his eyes, and walked out from the trees.

“Hey, buddy,” Nerdy faked a smiled. “Sorry it took me awhile.”

“It’s okay!” Niko beamed at his trainer. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, it’s all good,”he lied. “I think it must have been a couple of Rattata’s running around.”

“Oh,” Niko frowned. “Well that’s boring. I’m gonna go back to training with the others.”

“Good idea! I’ll join you.”

Nerdy and Niko walked in silence. Nerdy couldn’t get the image of that dying Weedle out of his mind. He looked down at Niko.

I’m not gonna let anything happen to you, he thought. I’m not letting any Pokémon die ever again.
Finally some turmoil! So in game, my first death was a Weedle named Victoria from Viridian Forest. I had already trained up the rest of my team, and went to train her up. I don't think it was her very first battle, but she was killed by a crit from a Rattata before gaining a single level. Because of her short time on the team, I didn't want to write the section where Nerdy capture her, so I found this to be a much better alternative. She was caught and killed at Lv. 4, and was a Quiet nature. On a much lighter note, the second part of Chapter 3 should be out soon! If you're reading this, please leave a review and let me know what you think of the story so far! See you guys soon!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
This is quite a nice Coming of age Story.

Nerdy and company are such likeable characters, and this version of Kanto seems to be a really great place.
It makes me wonder how his views can change with all the experiences he might have on this journey, specially with the small implications and undertones about his family and this society as a whole.
I'm glad you like the cast so far! I'm also really excited to get into the differences between my version of Kanto and the entire Pokémon world in general.

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Viridian City, Evening - Pokémon: 4 - Deaths: 1

The training went smoothly for Nerdy’s team. They mainly sparred with each other, and occasionally with the wild Pokémon that were attracted by the noise. The team, now tired and weary, made their way to the Pokémon Center to rest for the night.

“Here we go guys!” Nerdy smiled. “This is where we’ll be sleeping tonight!”

Nerdy’s team excitedly wandered around the room. In each corner of the room were four full sized beds with covers that looked like they were from 50 years ago. The walls were a faded yellow that clearly hadn’t been touched up in awhile. The room smelled like a pine scented air freshener, probably from whatever chemical they used to clean the bathroom. At least it was tidy and they didn’t have anyone else in the room with them.

“So this is how humans live,” Vinny looked around the room. “Not bad. I could get used to this.”

“Well don’t get to used to it,” Nerdy sat on one of the beds. “We’re only staying here for the night.”

“I’m hungry!” Niko ran up and began yanking on Nerdy’s pant leg.

“Alright, alright, calm down,” Nerdy laughed. “I’ll feed you guys.”

Nerdy pulled a bag of PokéChow out of his bag and poured it into a big food bowl for his team. The four devoured the food quickly. Even the unassuming Leopold was trying to shove his teammates out of the way for more food.

“Ya know guys,” Nerdy started. “We’ve spent the whole day together, and we’ll be traveling together too, and we haven’t even gotten to know each other yet.”

“You’re right,” Sharon was shocked.

“What do you want to know?” Vinny asked.

“Anything really,” Nerdy said. “I’ll go first. My name is actually Finn, but Nerdy’s been my nickname for as long as I can remember. I’ve lived in Pallet Town all of my life, and want to get as far away from it as possible.”

“Me next!” Niko jumped up and down. “I’m from a community of may species that’s all looked out for by a woman named Granny! One day, she asked if I wanted to go on an adventure with a trainer. Then I was sent to Professor Oak, and now I’m with Nerdy.”

“I guess I’m up,” Vinny said. “I’m the youngest of 37 siblings, so I’m from a pretty small family. I’ve never really interacted with humans or other species of Pokémon before, so this has all been a new experience.”

“Now it’s your turn, Sharon,” Nerdy smiled at her.

“Well, I’m actually not from around here,” Sharon admitted.

“You’re not?” Niko asked.

“No. I used to live closer to Cerulean City. I was captured by a trainer during last year’s League Season.”

“What happened?” Nerdy asked.

“He couldn’t hack it,” Sharon said bluntly. “He challenged three different Gym Leaders, and lost to all three of them more than once. After awhile, he gave up and just released us. Unfortunately, I was stuck on this side of Mt. Moon, so I just joined the flock that lived on Route 22.”

“Wow,” Niko said. “Wait, what’s a Gym Leader?”

Nerdy’s eyes widened. He was afraid this was coming, he just didn’t expect it so soon.

“Hey Leopold, you wanna go?” Nerdy tried to change the subject.

Leopold just stared back at Nerdy and gave him a small shrug.

“Anyways,” Sharon gave Nerdy a suspicious look. “Gym Leaders are super strong trainers. If you defeat them, you get a badge. Collecting all the badges allows a trainer to enter the Indigo Plateau Tournament.

“Wow!” Niko’s tail wagged back and forth. “I wanna fight the Gym Leaders! Can we, Nerdy?”

“Uhhh,” Nerdy groaned. “I don’t know Niko. Gym Leaders are pretty tough.”

“He’s right,” Sharon nodded. “All three my old trainer challenged managed to defeat our entire team with a single Pokémon.”

“Well no offense, Sharon,” Niko stood up triumphantly. “But I think we’re tougher than your old team!”

“Niko…” Nerdy started.

“Come on, Nerdy! You’ve seen how strong we’ve gotten in just a small amount of time! With a little more training, I think we can do this!”

“Kid may not be wrong,” Vinny shrugged. “I’m not a huge fighter, but could be something to brag about to the guys back home.”

“I’m certainly willing to give it a try again,” Sharon smiled. “How could I not after such a convincing speech.”

Nerdy watched in horror and Niko rallied the other team members behind him. He never thought Niko would have such leadership skills.

“So, can we challenge the Gyms, Nerdy?” Niko beamed at his trainer.

Nerdy sat silently for a moment. He truly had no idea how to respond. He had been weighing the pros and cons of the subject for months. Part of him wanted to say no, but he didn’t want to disappoint his team.

“I’ll…” Nerdy hesitated. “I’ll think about.”

“Yes!” Niko ran up and hugged Nerdy’s leg. “You’re the best trainer ever.”

“Thanks buddy,” Nerdy patted his partner’s head. “Now come on, let’s get you guys back in your PokéBalls. It’s time for bed!”

“Okay!” Niko chimed. “Goodnight everybody!”

Nerdy returned everyone to their PokéBalls and set them on the desk next to his bed. He laid down and ran his hands through his sweat covered hair. He stared at the ceiling and let out a long sigh.

“Well, Kat. You might be getting your wish after all.”
Here's the end of Chapter 3! I honestly didn't intend for this Chapter to e more than one part, but I felt like it was getting to long for one post. I really enjoyed writing the team getting know each other, and I can't wait for you guys to see how these characters change over time! Please leave a review and let me know what you think of the story so far, and if you enjoyed consider following the story thread! Hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you when Chapter 4 comes out!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Viridian City, Morning - Pokémon: 4 - Deaths: 1

Nerdy was awoken by the morning sun peeking through the curtains. He sat up in the bed that was just a bit too small for him and stretched out his arms. He looked over to make sure his PokéBalls containing his teammates were still on the desk next to him. All four sat completely untouched.

Nerdy stripped himself of his pajamas, and slipped into a black t-shirt in jeans. After pulling his belt through the belt loops, he snapped his PokéBalls back on. He grabbed his backpack, flung his jacket over his shoulder, and headed out the door.

After healing his team at the front desk, Nerdy got everyone food and found a table in the dining area. A donut for him, and the regular PokéChow for the team. He brought out the four PokéBalls, and released them all next to their food bowl.

“Morning guys!” Nerdy smiled.

“Morning, Nerdy!” Niko smiled.

“You know, I gotta admit,” Vinny began shoving food in his mouth. “Sleeping in the PokéBall wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Kinda cozy.”

“So,” Sharon said with a beak full of food. “What’s on the agenda for today?”

“Haven’t decided yet,” Nerdy took a bite of his donut. “It’ll be easier to decide on a full stomach!”

The team finished their breakfast and made their way for the door. Sharon and Leopold perched themselves on Nerdy’s left and right shoulder respectively, and Vinny and Niko walked on either side of him. Nerdy stepped outside, and took a deep breath of fresh air in. Despite the peaceful appearance of the area outside the Pokémon Center, there was a flurry of voices around back.

“What’s all that racket?” Vinny ears perked up.

“I don’t know,” Nerdy furrowed his brow. “Let’s investigate.”

The voices got progressively louder as the team made their way around the building. When they reached the other side, they saw a large group of people surrounding two trainer locked into battle. One was a girl with thick curly hair tucked into an orange cap. Her jacket and shorts were the same color has her cap, and her Pokémon on the field was a Bellsprout.

Her opponent was a chubby man decked out in hiker’s gear. His Pokémon was a Machop.

“You’ve got this, Belle!” the girl shouted. “Vine Whip!”

One of Bellsprout’s roots, that also acted as its leg, extended and glowed green. The vine wrapped around Machop’s foot, and prevented him from moving.

“Get out of there, Brick!” the hiker yelled.

“Finish it!” the girl commanded.

The Bellsprout lifted the defenseless Machop off of the ground, and slammed him down on his back, knocking him unconscious.

“Aw crap!” the hiker pulled out a PokéBall. “You did your best, Brick. I’ll get you healed up.”

The man returned his Pokémon to the PokéBall and quickly ran inside the Pokémon Center.

“That makes three victories for us!” the girl cheered. “Is there anyone else who wants to get their butt kicked?”

“I’ll take you on!” Niko exclaimed.

The crowd all turned and looked at Nerdy’s “Stantler in the headlights” look in his eyes, all the while Niko smiled ear to ear proudly.

“Niko!” Nerdy whispered sharply. “What are you doing?”

“Battling,” Niko said matter of factly. “That way I can prove to you I’m tough enough to beat the Gym Leaders!”

“But…”

“Well, are you coming or not?”

“We’re coming!” Nerdy blurted.

Nerdy and his team made their way towards the field. Sweat began trickling down Nerdy’s forehead and he balled his fists in his jacket pocket. Despite feeling the pressure from everyone’s eyes, the crowd really seemed to be focusing on Niko.

“What kind of Pokémon is that?” one asked.

“I don’t know, I’ve never seen that one before.” another said.

Holy crap this is a lot of people, Nerdy screamed internally. Get ahold of yourself, Yates. Your battle with Richie was fine. You can make it through this. Besides, her Pokémon is a Grass-Type. Niko can win this.

“Well?” the Bellsprout’s trainer yelled. “Are we battling, or not?”

“Yeah, sorry!” Nerdy’s voice cracked.

“Who even is this kid?” the Bellsprout named Belle asked. “This is gonna be a piece of cake.”

“Are you sure about this, Niko?” Nerdy asked his partner.

“Nerdy, I can win this.” Niko looked at his trainer with determination. “Don’t you trust me?”

Nerdy inhaled slowly through his nose, then exhaled through his mouth. “I trust you. Get out there!”

Nerdy nodded at his trainer, and ran onto the field.

“Simple rules,” Nerdy’s opponent said. “One on One fight, first one down loses.”

“Sounds good.” Nerdy gulped.

“Then let’s get this battle started!”

“Yeah!” Niko cheered.

Without waiting for Nerdy’s command, Niko began charging towards his opponent.

“Wait, Niko!” Nerdy cried out. “Don’t just charge in!”

“Why not?” Niko turned his head back towards his trainer.

“This is too easy,” the girl said to herself. “Vine Whip!”

Belle’s whip shout out towards Niko. His arms and tail were pinned to his body, preventing him from attacking at all. Niko tried pulling away, but Belle forcefully kept him in place.

“Pathetic!” the girl sneered. “Only a complete loser would lose to a Grass-Type when they have a Fire-Type.”

“Darn it!” Niko said through gritted teeth. “Sorry Nerdy!”

Nerdy began to panic. His Pokémon was out there immobilized, and there was nothing he could do. All he could do was watch Belle slowly pull Niko in closer.

“Wait,” Nerdy whispered to himself. “That’s it! Niko, go limp!”

“What?” Niko blurted.

“Trust me!”

“Okay!”

Niko stopped struggling against Belle’s vines, and his sudden weightlessness sent him flying towards his opponent.

“What the hell?” Belle’s trainer blurted.

Niko’s head slammed into Belle’s, causing her grip on Niko to loosen.

“Get back, Niko!” Nerdy commanded. “And use Ember!”

“Right!” Niko exclaimed.

Niko pushed himself off the ground, and put some distance between him and Belle. He jumped, and whipped his tail towards Belle causing a ball of Embers to slam into her. Belle fell to the ground unconscious, leaving Niko as the victor.

“Whoa! They beat her!” a man’s voice sounded from the audience.

“Good job, Niko!” Nerdy exclaimed.

“Thanks!” Niko smiled ear to ear.

Belle’s trainer’s face turned beet red. She simply pulled out Belle’s PokéBall, and returned her inside.

“Next time you show your face around here,” she said. “Belle and I will take you down!”

As she ran inside the Pokémon Center, the members of the crowd began to talk amongst themselves about the battle.

“You’re not hurt, are you?” Nerdy bent down to be closer to Niko’s eye level.

“No, I feel great!”

“That was a very impressive victory,” Sharon said.

“I agree,” Nerdy started. “But you have to wait for my command before you jump in.”

“I’m sorry, Nerdy,” Niko said. “I won’t do it again!”

“It’s okay buddy,” Nerdy stood backup. “Come on guys, let’s go…”

“Hold it!” a man’s voice yelled.The man, who was about Nerdy’s age, stepped out from the crowd. His spiky black hair covered most of his forehead, and he wore a black denim jacket. “I’m not letting you leave until I get a battle!”

Nerdy looked down at his team and smiled.

“What do you say guys?” he asked. “Ready for another round?”

“Yeah!” Niko cheered.

“I’m not letting you have all the fun!” Sharon smiled. “It’s my turn!”

“Sounds good to me,” Nerdy nodded. “We accept your challenge!”

Nerdy and the team kept racking up victory after victory. Everyone on the team managed to defeat more than one opponent. The better they did, the more other trainers wanted to battle them.

“Ember!” Nerdy commanded.

Niko flicked his tail towards the opponent’s Jigglypuff. The ball of embers collided with the Balloon Pokémon and exploded on impact. When the smoke settled, the Pokémon was on its back unconscious.

“Cream!” Cream’s trainer wailed. She pulled out a PokéBall and returned it inside. “Don’t worry! I’ll get you healed up!”

As the girl ran inside the Pokémon Center, Nerdy’s team reconvened on their side of the field. Nerdy’s team was covered in dirty and a couple of scratches from their fights, but were having a good time.

“Great job guys!” Nerdy gave Niko a high-five. “That makes ten wins in a row!”

“Good job on the win, Niko,” Vinny nodded.

“It was alright,” Niko blushed. “Not as good as when you took down that Sandshrew!”

“Alright!” Nerdy triumphantly said to the crowd. “Who wants next?”

For the first time in the past couple of hours, no trainer immediately stepped up to be Nerdy’s next challenger. The people in the audience all looked around at each other, waiting for someone to volunteer.

“I’ll take you on!” a cocky voice chimed.

Son of a bitch, Nerdy thought, immediately recognizing the voice.

Richard Oak approached the battle field from the crowd. Markus trailed behind him, but he had two new Pokémon as well. A Pidgey rested on his shoulder, and a Rattata walked on the opposite side of him as Markus did.

“What are you doing here, Richard?” Nerdy asked. “I figured you’d already be in Pewter City.”

“I decided to stay here for the night and get a team going,” he sneered. “I see you’ve done the same.”

“Who is this guy?” Vinny asked.

“He’s, uh,” Nerdy paused. “He’s an old friend.”

“You really want to get beat again?” Niko taunted.

“Shut up!” Markus shouted. “We’ll beat you this time!”

“Easy Markus,” Richard said calmly. “He’s right though. This time, we’re gonna come out on top!”

Nerdy hesitated before responding. In the past, he was extremely uncomfortable around Richard. Scared even. But now, he felt confident. He squared his shoulders and faced Richard confidently.

“We accept your challenge!” Nerdy declared.

“Perfect,” Richard ran his hands through his hair. “But why don’t we make it interesting?”

“What do you mean?” Nerdy asked.

“Two-on-two battle!”

“Works for me!”

“Perfect!”

As Richard made his way to his side of the field, Nerdy huddled his team in close.

“So how tough is this guy, Nerdy?” Sharon asked.

“He’s pretty tough,” Nerdy admitted. “His Pokémon are probably on par with you guys, and he’s good at commanding them.”

“I wanna fight in this one,” Niko said. “I wanna show Markus how strong I’ve gotten.”

“Okay, sounds good,” Nerdy said. “But I’ll save you for the second slot. Vinny, do you want to go first?”

“Why me?” Vinny demanded.

“Cause you’ve battled the least out of the four of you.”

“You got me there,” Vinny shrugged.

“You ready over there?” Richard shouted.

“Ready!” Nerdy answered.

“Then let’s get this battle started! Go Jet!”

“You go it, boss!” Richard’s Pidgey flew off of his shoulder and landed out on the field. Despite being the same species as Leopold, the two couldn’t be more different.

“Get in there, Vinny!”

“You sure I should be going up against a Flying-type?” Vinny asked as he awkwardly walked out onto the field.

“You’ll be fine, especially with that new move you learned.”

“I guess. But…”

“Enough talk!” Richard pouted.

“You said it,” Nerdy smiled. “Quick Attack!”

A glowing aura surrounded Vinny as he launched him self across the field. Vinny’s head slammed into Jet’s body. After recovering from the attack, Jet flew up into the air to await Richard’s next command.

“Sand Attack!” Richard commanded.

Jet began flying around in circles in an attempt to kick up dirt. The tiny dust storm surrounded Vinny and prevented him from keeping his eyes open all the way.

“Dammit, I can’t see!” Vinny cried.

“Stay calm, Vinny!” Nerdy exclaimed. “Quick Attack!”

“Tackle!” Richard commanded.

Vinny surrounded himself with the white aura again and launched himself in the air towards Jet. He managed to connect, but was instantly smacked towards the ground from Jet’s Tackle.

“That smarts!” Vinny’s voice strained.

“You got this!” Nerdy exclaimed. “Keep it up!”

“Okay!”

Vinny launched himself into the air over and over again in an attempt to take down the Pidgey. He managed to to hit plenty of times, but took just as many from the Flying-type.

“You’ve got him now!” Nerdy cheered. “One more Quick Attack!”

“Dodge!” Richard called.

As Vinny launched himself into the air again, Jet flew even higher so he was just out of Vinny’s range.

“Now strike!” Richard commanded.

Jet slammed into Vinny’s chest and sent him directly into the ground. When the back of Vinny’s head hit the field, a sharp crack was heard.

“Oh shit,” Nerdy mumbled to himself. “Vinny!”

A pool of blood began spreading from where Vinny hit the ground. A hush fell over the audience as the realized he wouldn’t be getting up.

“Vinny!” Niko called. “Get up!”

“Vinny!” Nerdy cried.

Vinny’s trainer ran onto the field to check on his Pokémon’s condition, but it was too late. The Rattata had died on impact.

“Oh my god,” Richard said to himself. “Jet! What the hell did you do?”

“It was an accident!” Jet defended himself. “I didn’t mean to hit him that hard!”

Niko approached Vinny’s lifeless body, still not sure what was happening.

“Why won’t he get up, Nerdy?” Niko asked.

Niko was taken aback when Nerdy just started at him with tear filled eyes. A dark pit opened up Niko’s stomach, and tears formed in his eyes. He couldn’t believe it. He didn’t want to believe it. But his new friend was dead.

“You,” Niko turned his attention towards Jet. “You killed my friend.”

“It was an accident, I swear!” Jet pleaded.

“I’m going to hurt you,” tears streamed down Niko’s face.

The flame on Niko’s tail flared up, and he launched himself at Jet. With one slash, Jet was instantly knocked out.

“Whoa!” Markus put himself between Jet and Niko. “Calm down, Niko! He said it was an accident.!”

“Shut up!”

Niko threw his entire weight into Markus and knocked him on his back. He jumped on to the Squirtle’s chest and began scratching his face repeatedly..

“Markus!” Richard cried. “Return!”

Both Jet and Markus disappeared in a beam of red light and were returned to their PokéBalls. Niko, still enraged, turned his gaze towards Richard.

“My friend would be alive if it weren’t for you!” he cried, inching closer.

All the while, Nerdy stared motionless at his fallen Pokémon. Completely unaware of what was going on.

“Nerdy!” Sharon landed on Nerdy’s shoulder. “You have to call Niko back!”

Despite Sharon’s calls, Nerdy just sat in silence. Leopold flew over to Nerdy’s arm, and pecked him in the back of his hand.

“Shit!” Nerdy cried. “What the hell?”

“Call back Niko!” Sharon demanded.

Nerdy looked in horror as his partner was getting ready to pounce on Richard.

“Right!” Nerdy fumbled for Niko’s PokéBall. “Niko return!”

Niko launched himself at Richard, but was caught at the last second by his PokéBall’s beam of light. Once returned, the battle field was completely silent. After a few moments, Nerdy scooped up Vinny’s body.

“Sharon, Leopold. Let’s go.”

“Nerdy!” Richard ran up and put his hand on Nerdy’s shoulder. “I’m so-“

Nerdy sucker punched Richard in the nose, knocking him on his behind. Without saying anything, he kept on walking.

Route 1

On the outskirts of the city, Nerdy found a small tree that was separate from all of the others. Het set Vinny down next to it, and began sifting through the dirt.

“What are you doing?” Sharon asked.

“Burying him,” Nerdy said frankly. “Least I could do.”

Nerdy dug the hole with his bare hands. Despite the rough dirt scratching his hands and getting deep under his nails, he didn’t seem fazed at all. Once the hole was three feet deep, he placed Vinny’s body inside and left his PokéBall with him.

Nerdy stood up and pulled Niko’s PokéBall off of his belt. He pressed the center button to enlarge it, and stared at it.

“Do you think it’s okay to call him out?” Sharon asked.

“I don’t know,” Nerdy admitted. “But he needs to say goodbye.”

Nerdy pressed the button again, sending out Niko to the ground in front of him.

Niko stared down at the ground and was sobbing.

“Hey buddy,” Nerdy said softly.

“Why did Vinny have to die?” Niko asked.

“It was an accident,” Nerdy struggled not to cry. “I wish I could have stopped it.”

“He seemed like like a good Pokémon,” Sharon approached his grave. “I wish I could have gotten to know him better.”

Leopold walked up next to her and silently nodded.

“He was my friend,” Niko croaked. “I don’t want my friends to die.”

“They won’t,” Nerdy said. “And you won’t. I’ll make sure of it.”

“Okay,” Niko wiped his tears away.

“Do you wanna help cover the grave?” Nerdy asked.

Niko nodded. He walked over the the pile of dirt next to Vinny’s grave and pushed it back into the hole. Nerdy then packed the dirt in firmly so it wouldn’t be disturbed by wind.

“Goodbye, Vinny,” Nerdy said somberly.

R.I.P Vinny
Level 3 - Level 9

“We should go,” Nerdy pulled out his team’s PokéBalls. “Let me heal you guys up at the Center and we’ll leave the city afterwards.

“Are you going to be okay, Nerdy?” Sharon asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Nerdy said. “Return.”

Nerdy’s Pokémon were sucked back into their PokéBalls and returned to Nerdy’s belt. Now alone, tears flowed down Nerdy’s face again.

“Fuck!” Nerdy screamed at the top of his lungs. He fell down to his knees and began sobbing. “This wasn’t supposed to happen again!” he cried. “No one else was supposed to die!”

After a few minutes on the ground, Nerdy slowly pushed himself back up to a standing position. He brushed the dirt off of his pants and wiped his nose with the sleeve of his jacket. As he made his way back to Viridian City, he kept repeating the same thing over and over to himself.

“It’s my fault,” Nerdy hoarsely said. “It’s all my fault.”

Outskirts of Viridian City - Pokémon: 3 - Deaths: 2
A here we have the first real death of the run. I remember being pissed when this happened because Richard's Pidgey was one hit away from fainting, but because of Sand Attack Vinny missed and died. But I got to trade Vinny's death for plot development, so I guess I can't complain. I hope you enjoyed this Chapter! No matter how you felt about it, please leave a review and let me know what you think about the story so far! I'll see you all in Chapter 5!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Viridian Forest, Later that same day - Pokémon: 3 - Deaths: 2

Nerdy and his team walked in silence across the shrouded floor of the forest. Blotches of light streamed through the treetops which illuminated the path to Pewter City.

Several Caterpie and Weedle slinked along the ground, while their older brethren, Metapod and Kakuna, hung from tree branches by a string of silk.

Nerdy eyed a pod of Kakuna hanging from a tree to the team’s right.

Hope they’re not ready to evolve, he thought. We need to get out of this place as soon as possible.

“Nerdy,” Sharon flew forward and landed on Nerdy’s left shoulder.

“What’s up, Sharon?” Nerdy asked.

“Leopold and I have been talking…”

“He talked to you?” Nerdy raised an eyebrow.

“Well, sort of,” she looked at the Pidgey flying behind them. “He just nodded along with what I was saying.”

“Oh.”

“Anyways. We were talking, and we think you need to talk about what happened.”

“What do you mean?”

“Clearly Vinny’s death affected you,” Sharon said. “You can’t just hold onto that.”

“Sharon, I’m fine,” Nerdy huffed. “I’m sad Vinny’s gone, but we barely knew him.”

“Yeah, Sharon,” Niko chimed in. “Nerdy’s fine.”

“Well what about you?” Sharon squinted her eyes at Niko. “What was that back there?”

“I was angry,” Niko pouted.

“You were way out of line, Niko,” Sharon scolded. “Richard and his Pokémon could have been hurt!”

“But they weren’t!” Niko’s tail flame began to swell. He whirled around and glared at Sharon “They’re still alive! Vinny’s the one who was hurt!”

Nerdy, Sharon and Leopold all froze. Niko quickly realized how frightened they looked. He took a deep breath, causing the flame on his tail to dim.

“I’m sorry,” Niko hung his head. “I’m just sad I couldn’t protect my friend.”

Nerdy remained silent for a few seconds, and let out a long sigh.

“No Niko, I’m sorry,” Nerdy stared at the ground. “I…”

“Hey!” a voice shrieked. Somehow, Nerdy and his team had been completed surrounded by three identical figures. All of them were young boys, no older than thirteen, with short green hair, a white tank top, and a straw sun hat. “You’re a trainer, right?”

“Uh, yeah,” Nerdy gave the boy a confused look. “But you aren’t. There’s no way any of you are old enough to have your trainer’s license.”

“Doesn’t matter!” one of the other boys sneered. “We’ll still wipe the floor with your weak-ass team!”

“Look, brats,” Sharon rolled her eyes. “This is a very bad time. We’re in the midst of a private conversation!”

“Screw that!” the third boy pulled out a PokéBall. “We’re battling now!”

“Yeah!” his brothers pulled out their own.

They snapped open, and shot out three separate beams. Two of the brothers sent out a Caterpie each, while the other sent out a Weedle.

“You know we have a huge advantage, right?” Niko cocked his head.

“Seriously kid,” Nerdy rubbed the ridge of his nose. “This is your last chance.”

“Come on, bros!” one of them yelled. “We can’t back down!”

“Right!” the other two exclaimed.

“Attack!” they all yelled.

All three Bug-types lunged towards Nerdy and his team.

“Sharon, Leopold,” Nerdy said calmly. “Take out the Caterpies. Niko, take out the Weedle with Ember. But, be gentle.

“Got it!” Niko nodded.

The battle was over in less than twenty seconds. Nerdy’s team wasted very little energy and defeated the Bug-types without taking a single hit.

“Dammit!” the Weedle’s trainer cursed.

“Serves you right!” Nerdy scolded. “You can’t just force a battle on someone when they decline it! Also, again, you kids don’t have trainer’s licenses. You’re breaking the law!”

“Who cares if we don’t have licenses?” Weedle’s trainer pulled a blue PokéBall with a black striped pattern off of his belt. “We’ll crush you!”

The boy threw the Net Ball towards the ground, and the flash blinded Nerdy and his team. When the light died down, a Pinsir stood on the field. He had faded scars all over his body.

Nerdy felt a vibration in his pocket. He pulled out his PokéDex and flipped it open.

WARNING! a robotic voice crackled from the speaker. ENEMY POKÉMON IS INCREDIBLY STRONG! PROBABILITY OF WINNING THIS BATTLE IS LESS THAN 1%!

“That’s new,” Nerdy’s voice trembled. “Where did you get a Pokémon like that?”

“Doesn’t matter!” the kid sneered. “What matters is that you have no chance of winning now!”

“Nerdy, we have to forfeit!” Sharon exclaimed.

“I can take him!” Niko glared at the Pinsir.

“No you can’t!” Nerdy blurted.

“Crusher, attack!”

Despite the boy’s command, Crusher didn’t move an inch. On further inspection, the Pinsir wasn’t even awake. Its eyes had been closed the whole time.

“Come on, Crusher!” the boy urged.

After a few seconds of silence, Crusher the Pinsir slowly opened his eyes. He gave a confused look towards Nerdy’s team, and then turned around to face the boy who had sent him out.

“Oh goddammit!” Crusher yelled. “How many times does Maggie have to tell you, kids? Stop! Stealing! Her! PokéBalls!”

“What the hell, Sammy?” one of the other boys yelled. “You said Maggie gave you permission to take Crusher!”

“I thought he’d go along with it, Anthony!” Sammy cried out. “It was Charlie’s idea!”

“Shut up!” Charlie whined.

“I don’t care who’s idea it was!” Crusher yelled. He scooped the three boys up by their shirts and turned them to face Nerdy. “Now apologize to these fine people!”

“We’re sorry!” the boys cried.

“Wait a minute,” Nerdy said, completely ignoring the boys. “You’re the Crusher?”

“You mean the Crusher on Maggie Kennedy’s team?” the Pinsir asked. “The one and only!”

“Oh my god!” Nerdy smiled ear-to-ear. “It is you!”

“Do you know him, Nerdy?” Niko looked at his trainer.

“Maggie Kennedy is a really powerful Pokémon Trainer who made it all the way to Champion Ace in the last Pokémon League! Her team is only made up of really powerful Bug-type Pokémon!”

“You flatter me!” Crusher blushed.

“Wait, then who are these kids?” Sharon asked.

“These are Maggie’s little brothers,” Crusher dropped them to the ground. “Maggie agreed to train them in the ways of Bug-type Pokémon, but they’re a major pain in the ass.”

Sammy, Anthony, and Charlie Kennedy

-Ages: 12 (triplets)

-Not the first time they’ve received a scolding from Crusher

“Now go apologize to your Pokémon!” Crusher demanded. “You needlessly threw them into a battle they had no business being in!”

“Yes sir!” the triplets said in unison.

All three boys feverishly rushed towards their fallen Pokémon and began sputtering apologies to them.

“Not bad,” Crusher looked at Nerdy. “Even if they are just kids, taking down three opponents at once is pretty impressive.”

“It was nothing!” Niko puffed out his chest triumphantly.

“I tell you what. Maggie’s training a little deeper in the woods. You want to meet her?”

“That’d be awesome!” Nerdy face lit up.

“Great!” Crusher cheered. He then turned his attention back to the boys and his expression changed. “Alright, you snots! Take us back to where Maggie is!”

“Yes sir!” the boys whimpered.

The boys led the group deeper into the forest where Maggie’s camp was. While Nerdy hung back behind Crusher, Niko ran to his side and stared at him.

“Niko, don’t stare.” Nerdy scolded. “It’s rude.”

“I’m not staring,” Niko insisted. “I’m sizing him up.”

“I don’t mind,” Crusher laughed. “Little guy’s cute!”

“Cute?” Niko squinted his eyes. “I’m not cute!”

“I don’t know, Niko,” Nerdy said. “You are kind of cute.”

“I agree,” Sharon chimed in.

Leopold simply nodded.

“Darn it!” Niko cursed while his team laughed.

After about five minutes of walking, the group came upon a clearing with a camp sight. There was a large purple tent and a smaller yellow tent set up next to a fire pit.

“Hmmm,” Crusher looked around for his trainer. “Must be somewhere in the woods with the rest of the team.”

“I can’t wait to meet her!” Nerdy smiled. “I’ve got to get an autograph from her!”

While his trainer beamed, Niko walked around the camp with an unamused expression on his face.

This Maggie girl can’t be that tough, Niko thought. I’ll show Nerdy that I’m way stronger than her team!

Suddenly, Niko noticed a red blur race past a tree, about four feet in front of him.

“Huh?” Niko walked closer to inspect the tree. To his surprise, there was no one and nothing around. “Weird.”

The next thing he knew, Niko flew backward and tumbled across the forest floor. He felt a sharp pain in his stomach, but didn’t even feel the initial impact.

“What the…” Niko pushed himself to a sitting position.

“Who the hell are you?” a rough voice demanded.

Niko looked up in terror at the figure towering above him. The Pokémon had a sleek red body that shone like metal. One of its two powerful looking claws was pointed right at Niko’s forehead.

“I… I’m… Niko,” Niko stammered.

“Stop Rocket!” Crusher ran over to stop the assault on Niko. “The Charmander’s with me!”

“Niko!” Nerdy picked up his partner and began wiping the debris off of him. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine!” Niko pushed Nerdy’s hands away, then directed his anger towards Rocket. “What was that for?”

“I’m sorry,” the Scizor relaxed. “Can never be too careful these days.”

“Jesus Rocket,” a girl’s voice drew closer from behind Rocket. “Just because you want to protect me doesn’t mean you can go assaulting everyone we run into.

“Holy crap,” Nerdy’s jaw dropped. “It’s you!”

Maggie Kennedy

-Hometown: Viridian City

-Badass and knows it

Maggie Kennedy had pixie cut green hair with piercing green eyes to match. She stood a few inches taller than Nerdy at 6”2, and had well-defined muscles. She wore a green tank top and black khaki shorts.

“Crusher, why did you bring this fanboy to my camp?” Maggie starred bullets at her Pokémon.

“Don’t look at me!” he insisted. Those three brats stole my PokéBall and forced this nice trainer and his team into a battle.

“Dammit, you three,” Maggie closed her eyes rubbed her temples.

“We’re sorry, sis!” the triplets all dropped down her knees and begged for forgiveness.

Maggie opened her eyes again and this time directed her attention to Nerdy and his team. Her face looked unamused and until she realized the Pokémon Rocket had jumped on was a Charmander.

“Whoa,” Maggie’s eyes widened. “Never thought I’d see a Charmander in my lifetime. Aren’t they basically extinct in the wild these days?”

“Yeah,” Nerdy said. “Niko here was bred by a woman who has a special license to breed endangered Pokémon.”

“Huh,” Maggie put her hand to her chin. “So if he’s Niko, that makes you…”

“Finn Yates!” Nerdy stuck his hand out. “People call me Nerdy.”

“You let them call you that?” Maggie grasped his hand and squeezed hard.

“It’s a long story,” Nerdy winced.

“Well thanks for stopping my idiot brothers,” Maggie said. “I’d be happy to give you an autograph or a picture if you want.”

“No!” Niko yelled, his voice echoing through the trees.

“What is it, Niko?” Nerdy looked worried.

“We don’t want some crappy autograph!” Niko exclaimed and pointed at Rocket. “I want to fight you!”

“No we don’t!” Nerdy crouched down and covered Niko’s mouth.

“Forgive him!” Sharon jumped between Rocket and Niko. “He’s kind of a spazz.”

“Sure,” Maggie said to Niko. “We’ll fight you.”

“What?” Nerdy and Sharon blurted at the same time.

“Little dude wants a fight, he’ll get one. You down, Rocket?”

“Sure, why not?” Rocket shrugged.

“You go over there,” Maggie pointed to one side of the clearing. “We’ll go on that side.”

“But…” Nerdy began to say, but Maggie, Rocket and Crusher were already walking away. “Niko, what the hell were you thinking? She almost defeated the Champion at the last Pokémon League. We can’t win!”

“Yes we can!” Niko declared. “You’ll see how strong I am!”

“Is that what this is about?” Nerdy sharply whispered. “Trying to prove yourself?”

“Hurry up!” Maggie yelled from across the clearing. “We don’t have all day!”

“Coming!” Niko ran out into the clearing.

“Surely she’s going to hold back,” Sharon said. “Right?”

“God I hope so,” Nerdy said.

“Sammy, be the ref,” Maggie snapped.

“Yes sis!” Sammy ran to the middle of the sideline. “This will be a one-on-one battle! First Pokémon down is the loser. Go!”

“You take the first move,” Maggie crossed her arms. “You’ll need it.”

“Guess we’re doing this,” Nerdy whispered to himself. “Niko, Ember!”

“Gonna end this in one blow!” Niko began spinning around in place. A ball of embers flung towards Rocket and exploded on impact. “Yes!”

When the smoke cleared, Rocket was completely fine. Despite slight charing from the impact point, he looked completely unfazed.

“False Swipe,” Maggie said.

Rocket disappeared from view and reappeared behind Niko. His claws lit up with a white light, and he slashed at Niko’s back, slamming him face-first into the dirt.

“Niko!” Nerdy called out.

“He’s fine,” Maggie said coldly. “False Swipe is a move designed to not knock out the opponent.”

Niko slowly pushed himself back to a standing position. His entire body trembled as he tried to keep his balance.

“Niko, you have to stop!” Nerdy begged.

“Shut up!” Niko’s flame began to rise again. “I have to get stronger!”

“Go again, Rocket,” Maggie commanded.

Rocket slashed repeatedly at Niko, making it impossible for him to retaliate.

“Please, stop it!” Nerdy begged Maggie.

“Let up a sec,” Maggie said. Rocket backhanded Niko and knocked him on his back.

Niko tried to stand again, but Rocket pressed his foot on his chest.

“Stay down,” Rocket said.

“It’s clear you're a beginner, so I’m gonna give you some advice,” Maggie said. “You, Niko. You need to listen to your trainer when he tells you you’re outmatched. And you Nerdy, you need to have more confidence in your Pokémon.”

“What do you mean?” Nerdy asked.

“I’ve known you for about five minutes, and it’s clear you’re full of doubt when it comes to your skills as a trainer,” Maggie said. “Am I wrong?”

Nerdy hung his head. “No.”

“Good,” Maggie ran a hand through her hair. “Now that we’ve established that,” she snapped her fingers. “Metal Claw.”

“What?” Nerdy blurted.

“This is a battle!” a wild smile spread across Maggie’s face. “Whether you’re a newbie or not, this is going to the end!”

Rocket’s claws began glowing a bright silver. He moved his foot of Niko, and pulled his right claw back.

“No…” Niko whimpered.

“Strike!” Maggie exclaimed.

“No!” Sharon cried out.

“Niko!” Nerdy cried.

When Rocket’s claw struck Niko, the impact rung loudly and echoed throughout the forest. Sharon and Leopold stood petrified behind Nerdy, who dropped to his knees. Tears began to swell in his eyes.

“Well would you look at that?” Rocket marveled.

Nerdy looked up again, and saw that Rocket was struggling to press down his claw. On further inspection, Niko had managed to block Rocket’s strike with arms which were glowing with the same silver aura that Rocket’s claws were.

“But how?” Nerdy wiped a tear from his cheek.

Nerdy felt his PokéDex vibrate in his pocket again. He quickly pulled it out and flipped it open.

YOUR CHARMANDER HAS LEARNED THE MOVE: METAL CLAW, the PokéDex said.

“He copied him,” Nerdy mumbled. “Niko figured out how to copy Rocket’s Metal Claw.”

“Well I’ll be damned,” Maggie whispered. “Rocket, back off!”

Rocket stood back and the glow around his claws subsided. Niko supported himself with one knee.

“See, Nerdy?” Niko smiled and showed off his metallic claws. “I’m not done yet!”

On the other side of the field, Maggie let out a hearty laugh. She wiped away a tear and walked across the battlefield to Niko. She scooped the Fire-type into her arms and smiled at him.

“You are something else,” Maggie smiled at Niko.

“Hey!” Niko pouted. “The battle!”

“Trust me, Niko,” Maggie said. “If Rocket was using even a tenth of his strength in that fight, you would have been knocked out on our first attack.”

“Battle is over!” Sammy exclaimed. “Maggie is the wi…”

“Not shit, Sammy!” Maggie barked.

“What is going on?” Nerdy asked.

“Sorry about the theatrics,” Maggie said. “Hey, you wanna stay for dinner?”

“Uh…”

“Don’t bother answering, you’re staying for dinner.”

“Okay,” Nerdy said.

“As for you, little man,” she began walking towards her tent. “I’ve got a Super Potion with your name on it.”

“What the hell is going on?” Sharon looked up at Nerdy.

Nerdy furrowed his brow and scratched his head. “I have absolutely no idea.”
FINALLY I get to introduce y'all to Maggie. In terms of planning of this story (which is several years in the making) she's a recent development for me, but she'll hopefully be a welcome edition. Sorry it's been a while. Haven't felt extremely motivated since the whole COVID-19 thing got really bad, but I'm trying to be more creative during my extended free time. I hope you and your loved ones are staying safe during this crazy time! If you enjoyed this chapter, leave a review and considering following the story! See you guys when the next Chapter comes out!

NerdyEdits

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Pallet Town Trainer Academy - Five Years Ago

A young Finn Yates sat in his Battle Strategies class bored out of his mind. While the teacher rattled on about items and critical hits, the young man rolled his pencil back and forth on his desktop.

This class sucks, he thought. I already know all this stuff.

In the middle of the teacher’s sentence, there was a knock at the door which stole the classes attention. The door swung open, revealing Professor Oak standing in the hallway.

“Ah, Professor!” the young teacher chimed. “To what do we owe this pleasure?”

“I’m very sorry to interrupt,” the old man smiled and nodded. “But may I borrow Finn Yates from your class for a moment?”

“Of course!” the teacher nodded. “Finn?”

“Coming,” he was taken aback. What would Samuel Oak himself need in the middle of the school day?

“Ooooo,” a young man with brown spiky hair cooed. “What’d you do this time?”

“Shut up, Richie,” Nerdy laughed. “He’s probably here to give me his blessing to marry your sister.”

“Jackass,” Richie sneered at his childhood friend.

Viridian Forest - Pokémon: 3 - Deaths: 2

Maggie carried Niko back to her tent and went inside. A few moments later, she emerged with a Super Potion in her free hand.

“This might sting a little,” Maggie readied her finger on the spray trigger. “On three, okay?”

“Okay,” Niko closed his eyes.

“Three!”Maggie sprayed the contents of the potion on Niko’s wounds.

“Ow!” Niko yelped.

“Don’t be a baby,” Maggie put him down by the fire pit. “Now would you mind getting a fire going? We need to get dinner ready.”

“Okay,” Niko seemed like he wasn’t quite sure what was happening, but decided to go along with it.

He grabbed his tail, and poked at the fire logs until a small fire started.

“Thank you, sir,” Maggie smiled, then turned her attention to Nerdy and his other Pokémon. “Well are you just gonna sit here, or are you gonna come over here?”

“Sorry!” Nerdy snapped to attention. “Come on guys.”

Nerdy, Sharon, and Leopold walked over to the fire pit and sat next to Niko. Maggie, Crusher, Rocket, and Maggie’s brothers began pulling out cooking equipment.

“You four get cozy, while we whip up dinner!” Maggie’s smile seemed like a complete change from her attitude before.

Nerdy and his team sat in silence for a moment, all of them questioning how they ended up in this situation. Nerdy turned his gaze to Niko, and finally broke the silence.

“How are you feeling, Niko?” he asked.

“A lot better,” Niko lifted his arms and inspected himself. “That potion hurt at first, but it healed me up completely!”

“That’s good,” Nerdy sighed in relief. “So, how did you pull off that Metal Claw back there?”

“I dunno,” Niko shrugged.

“What do you mean, ‘I dunno?’” Sharon asked.

“I can’t explain it. I saw him do it, so I wanted to see if I could.”

“How could you pull off something so impressive in such a nonchalant way?”

“It wasn’t that impressive.”

“No, it was,” Nerdy said. “Usually only experienced Pokémon can learn a move just by watching it be performed. What you did was very impressive for your experience level.”

“I guess I am pretty great,” Niko laughed.

“No matter how great you are, you can’t just jump into a battle with one of the strongest trainers around! You could have gotten hurt!”

“But…”

“He’s right,” Maggie interrupted. She walked over to the group with a metal pot and a grate to set up over the fire. “If Rocket and I weren’t as disciplined as we are, you could have gotten permanent injuries. Or, you could have been killed.”

“Like Vinny,” Niko hung his head.

“Who’s Vinny?”

“He was a Rattata I caught back on Route 1,” Nerdy said. “Earlier today, he was accidentally killed in a battle with another trainer.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that,” Maggie had a solemn look on her face. “It’s not easy losing a Pokémon. No matter how little time they were with you.”

“I’m sorry,” Niko said. “But I need to get stronger so that no one else gets hurt! I thought if I battled as someone as tough as Rocket, Nerdy would let me battle the Gym Leaders and I could get stronger.”

“Niko…” Nerdy ran his hands through his hair. “It’s not your strength I’m worried about. I just don’t want to lose another Pokémon. Battling Gym Leaders is risky, and if you’re not prepared enough your Pokémon could get hurt.”

“He’s right,” Sharon chimed in. “My old team members got roughed up pretty bad because our trainer wasn’t prepared.”

“You know,” Maggie smiled softly. “Niko’s a tough little guy. Not just any Pokémon could block Rocket’s Metal Claw, no matter how much he was holding back. You shouldn’t avoid the Gym Challenge because a team member died. You owe it to them to keep going.”

“But,” Nerdy clenched his fist. “Vinny wasn’t the first Pokémon of mine to die.”

“What?” Niko looked confused. “I thought I was your first Pokémon.”

“You were,” Nerdy shifted. “Sort of.”

“But you’re eighteen,” Sharon said. “And trainers can’t get their first Pokémon until they’re eighteen.”

“You’re right. But when I was in school, I was selected to be a competitor in the Junior Pokémon League tournament.”

“Wow,” Maggie’s eyes widened. “That’s impressive.

“What’s that?” Niko asked.

“So there’s the regular league season, which goes from August to February, and then there’s the Junior League. It happens every summer, and all the competitors are kids chosen to represent their respective schools. Each representative is given one Pokémon by the league ahead of time to train. Five years ago, I was chosen to be Pallet Town’s representative.”

“Wait,” Maggie looked pensive. “I’ve watched that tournament every summer since I was in diapers. I don’t remember anything about a Pokémon dying.”

“It didn’t happen during the tournament. It was two weeks before. It…” Nerdy’s voice started to quiver. He felt hot tears form in his eyes.

“It’s okay,” Maggie said softly. “You don’t have to…”

“No!” Nerdy wiped the tears from his eyes. “My Pokémon need to know what kind of trainer they’re dealing with. Like I said, it happened five years ago. The Pokémon I was given was…”

5 Years Ago

“Brandy, Flame Wheel!” Nerdy commanded.

Nerdy and his friends, Kat and Richie, gathered in the backyard of Professor Oak’s laboratory. Towards the corner of the fenced-in field, away from the Pokémon that resided there, was a training dummy with scorch marks all over it.

Brandy ran on all fours towards the dummy, and leaped towards its chest. Mid jump, her fur ignited in flames, and formed a fireball around her. She slammed directly into the dummy’s chest and left another mark.

“Not too shabby,” the Growlithe’s tail wagged back and forth.

“Good job!” Finn ran up and stroked Brandy’s mane. “With moves like that, we’ll win the tournament.”

“Fat chance!” Richie sneered. “There’s sixty people in the tournament this year. The odds you’ll win are slim to none!”

“Shut up, Richie,” Kat yelled. “You’re just jealous you didn’t get chosen as Pallet’s rep this year!”

“No I’m not!” Richie crossed his arms. “I’m just being realistic.”

“Well I think we’ve got a shot at it!” Finn walked over to his backpack and pulled out a yellow notebook that had “Trainer Guidebook” written in pen across the cover. He began flipping through the pages “Next, let’s try the “Firestorm” maneuver. I think that will…”

Before he could finish, a loud boom was heard that echoed through the trees outside of Oak’s yard. In the distance, a large cloud of smoke could be seen.

“What was that?” Kat asked.

“Dunno,” Richie shrugged. “Maybe there’s a battle going on.”

“In the middle of the woods?” Kat asked sarcastically. “In Pallet Town. Who the hell would be battling out there?”

“Whoever it is,” a devious smile spread across Finn’s face. “I’m gonna find out! Come on, Brandy!”

“Right behind ya!” she bounded after the excited teen.

“Wait for us!” Kat called after the duo.

The group jumped the fence and ran towards the source of the noise. Despite the wooded area of Pallet Town normally being abundant with wild Pokémon, none seemed to be out on this particular day.

“Something feels off,” Richie said. “Maybe we should go back.”

“Awww,” Finn cooed. “You need to go back for your diaper change, don’t you baby?”

“Shut up!”

“Goddammit!” a rough man’s voice sounded in the distance.

The group froze in place and turned towards the yelling.

“Maybe we should turn back,” Kat whispered.

“Come on,” Finn rolled his eyes. “We’ve come this far, might as well find out who’s causing this ruckus.”

The group walked quietly, progressively hearing the man’s yelling growing louder. Eventually, they found the small clearing where the man was pacing back and forth, talking into a cell phone. The man was six feet tall, with brown wavy hair. In the man’s other hand was a cage a little bit bigger than a lunchbox. Finn and his friends ducked behind a bush to avoid being seen.

“This is bullshit!” the man roared. “This thing was way more difficult to catch than what you let on. You’re paying me triple what you offered, or I’m chucking this thing into the ocean.”

“Hey man,” a relaxed voice came from the cage. “Let’s not do anything…”

“Shut up!” the man brought the cage up to his face. “One more word out of you, and I’ll flatten you like a pancake!”

“Who the hell is this guy?” Kat whispered.

“Pokémon Hunter,” Richie clenched his fists. “Gramps says they tend to get more active towards the summer when League regulations are a lot more relaxed.”

“That cage smells weird,” Brandy stuck her nose up.

“What do you mean?” Finn asked.

“It smells like a Dark-type Pokémon.”

“That’s weird. There aren’t any Dark-types that live around here.”

“No,” Brandy sniffed harder. “It’s like the scent is coming off of the cage. I can get a little of the scent from the Pokémon inside, but it’s faint.”

“Maybe it’s a Psychic Pokémon then,” Richie looked at Nerdy. “Maybe the cage is electrical, and radiates energy similar to a Dark-type Pokémon. A Psychic Pokémon wouldn’t be able to escape!”

“Wonder what kind of Psychic Pokémon it is for it to be that valuable,” Finn looked pensive.

“We should go get, Gramps!”

“By the time we go get him this guy might already be gone! We can’t let him get away.”

“What do you propose we do?” Kat asked.

Finn pulled his notebook from under his arm and put it on the ground. He began flipping through the pages until he found one titled “Firestorm.”

“You wanna try it out, Brandy?” Finn smiled at the Growlithe.

“Anything to help a fellow Pokémon!” she looked determined.

“You could get in a lot of trouble!” Kat scolded them. “You’re not allowed to battle outside of training or the tournament!”

“Do you see any Pokémon with him?” Finn asked. “This isn’t a battle. We’ll knock the cage out of his hands, save the Pokémon, and book it back to the lab.”

“This is nuts!” Richie got up and began walking away. “I’m going to get Gramps.”

“Fine,” Finn grunted. “You ready, Brandy?”

“Ready!” she smiled.

“Please don’t do this, Finn,” Kat begged. “The both of you could-“

Before she could finish, Finn and Brandy ran out from the bushes, startling the hunter.

“What the hell?” he blurted.

“Firestorm!” Finn commanded.

Brandy began running around the confused man as fast as she could. Her fur ignited, and the man was surrounded by swirling flames.

“The hell is this?”

“Now!” Finn exclaimed.

Brandy launched herself at the cage and slammed it out of the man’s hand. The metal cage slammed on the ground, causing the door to swing open.

“I’ll get it!” Brandy exclaimed.

Before she could even get close, a blinding light radiated from the cage. When the light died down, both the cage and whatever was in it was gone.

“You little brat,” the man began to quake with anger. He threw his cellphone on the ground and crushed it with his foot. “Do you have any idea what you just cost me?”

“Brandy,” Finn’s voice quivered. “Let’s go!”

“You’re not getting away!” the man reached behind him and pulled a DuskBall from his belt. “Get him!”

A massive titan-like Pokémon appeared a few feet in front of Nerdy and Brandy. It towered over them, and just being around it made the two feel weak.

“Holy shit,” Finn muttered. “Run!”

“Rock Slide!” the man barked.

Tyranitar fired a brown energy ball from his mouth into the air which formed into a rock. The rock broke into several smaller pieces, and rained down on Nerdy and Brandy.

“Move, Nerdy!” Brandy cried.

Just as a chunk of rock almost slammed into Nerdy’s head, Brandy tackled him out of the way and was pummeled by Tyranitar’s attack.

Finn hit the ground hard, cracking his glasses and leaving cut and scrapes all over his body. Kat rushed to his side and helped him sit up.

“Are you okay?” she asked frantically.

“I’m fine!” Nerdy pushed her off. “Where’s Brandy?”

The two turned to the pile of rocks were lay on the ground motionless. She was in critical condition, but still alive.

“Help,” she croaked.

“I’m coming!” Nerdy exclaimed.

He ran to her and pushed the rocks out of the way. When he removed the last rock from her body, his heart sank. Brandy’s back legs had been completely crushed and a sharp piece of rock had punctured her the side of her torso.

“Nerdy,” she wheezed. “I feel funny.”

“Nerdy, we have to go!” Kat yelled.

“We can’t leave her!” Nerdy tried to pick up Brandy, but she was too heavy for him to lift on his own.

“You’re not going anywhere!” the man grunted. “Go again Tyranitar!”

“You got it!” Tyranitar began charging another attack.

“Hydro Pump!” a voice exclaimed.

A blast of water shot out from the trees and hit Tyranitar directly in the torso. The charging beam faded, and the massive Pokémon fell to the ground.

“Who the hell?” the man turned to where the Hydro Pump had come from.

A Gyarados lunged and the man and coiled its tail around the man so he couldn’t escape.

“Stop struggling,” the Gyarados glared at him. “It’ll be easier on you.”

Professor Oak and Richard ran out from the trees and to where Kat and Finn were on the ground. Before Oak could ask the kids if they were okay, he noticed Brandy’s injuries.

“What happened?” Oak asked.

“It was an accident!” Nerdy began to cry. “Please, can you save her?”

“Nerdy,” Brandy said. “I’m not gonna make it out of here.”

“Yes you are! The Professor’s here, and he can make you better.”

“Finn,” Oak put a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Even I can’t heal injuries this severe.”

“No,” Nerdy shook his head. “No you have to! Please!”

“I’m glad I got to meet you,” Brandy’s body went limp.

“Brandy?” Nerdy didn’t want to believe. “Brandy!”

“She’s gone, son,” Oak said.

“It’s my fault,” Nerdy began shivering. “My fault. It’s all my fault.”

Present

“Whoa,” Maggie was taken aback. “That’s some heavy shit.”

“Yeah,” Nerdy said.

“What happened after that?” Niko asked.

“They took the guy to jail. Even though that Pokémon we saved escaped, he had other Pokémon in cages in his truck not too far from where we found him. I never competed in the tournament. Rumors started going around the school. Some kids called me the ‘Pokémon Killer.’ Even Richie turned on me. I ended up in therapy for a while, and now I’m here.”

Nerdy looked at everyone around him and it was clear no one knew what to say. They didn’t look afraid, just stunned. As they should be. Finally it was Niko that broke the silence.

“I’m sorry if I made you worry,” Niko said. “I didn’t realize you went through something like that.”

“Thanks, Niko,” he smiled weakly. “And I’m sorry. I should have told you guys sooner.”

“We appreciate you coming clean about it,” Sharon said. “It’s a lot to take in.”

“Let me ask you something,” Maggie said. “If you screwed the pooch that hard, why did Oak entrust you with a Pokémon as special as Niko?”

“He said it was because my grades were one of the highest in the class,” Nerdy shrugged.

“Bullshit. The great Samuel Oak wouldn’t trust someone based on a couple of exams.”

“What are you saying?”

“Oak’s a smart guy. Yeah you might have been a good trainer according to your exam grades. But your grades don’t say shit about who you are as a person. If Oak still sees something in you, you can’t be all bad.”

“But what about, Vinny?” Nerdy asked.

“As rough as it is, deaths can even happen in regulation battles,” Maggie said.

“We’ve lost team members as well,” Rocket said. “It’s never easy.”

“Deaths are rough,” Maggie winced. “And sometimes, it might be on the trainer. But it’s all the more reason to keep moving on for them.”

Nerdy didn’t know what to say. He stared into the fire, twirling his dirty shoelace around his finger.

“Nerdy,” Niko looked up at his trainer. “I don’t want to give up! Maggie’s right. I’m sad about Vinny, and I know you blame yourself for his and Brandy’s deaths. But I trust you.”

“And what about you two?” Nerdy asked Sharon and Leopold.

The Flying-types made eye contact. Despite the lack of verbal communication on Leopold’s part the two seemed to understand each other.

“As long as you promise to be more careful, we’ll stick around,” Sharon said.

Leopold nodded in agreement.

“Thanks guys,” Nerdy felt his shoulders relax and droop towards the ground. “I appreciate that. And thank you, Maggie.”

“For what?” she asked.

“You’re right. It’s disrespectful to my fallen team members to put my life on hold because of my grief. It hurts and I miss them, but I’ll keep going to honor their memory.

“Well said,” she nodded. “So, are you going to try the Gym Challenge now?”

“Which Gym would I even try?” he asked. “None of my team members are strong against the Gyms around here.”

“Type matchups don’t mean shit when you’ve got a strategy,” Maggie rolled her eyes. “Brock’s a good Gym Leader to start with.”

“But Rock-type is super effective against my entire team!”

“It’s super effective against my team too! It’s all in the strategy. Tell you what. You stay here and let me train you and your team. I’ll have you ready to take on Brock in three days. What do you say?”

Nerdy felt like fainting. It hadn’t even been two full days since he left Pallet, and he had an opportunity to train under a trainer who rivals the Elite Four.

“Let’s do it Nerdy!” Niko’s tail wagged back and forth. “I can get super strong this way!”

“I don’t know how much help I’ll be against Rock-types, but I’ll do my best,” Sharon stood confidently.

Leopold gave a gentle nod to Nerdy.

“Okay,” Nerdy nodded. “We’re in.”

“Great!” Maggie grinned. “Then we better get this dinner going. You’re gonna need a full meal to make it through my training!”

“But sis,” Sammy whined. “What about our training?”

“Don’t worry boys,” she grinned at Crusher. “Crusher will be in charge of your training for the next few days.”

“I’ll whip them into shape, boss,” Crusher cracked his knuckles.

Nerdy felt nervous about the next few days, but also excited. For the first time in a long time, he felt like he had a goal in mind.
It has been a minute. I actually had this Chapter finished a while ago, but it's been pretty difficult lately to find the motivation to post considering the state of the world. I'm still writing, but the pace has slowed down a bit.
In terms of the story, I'm very excited to have this Chapter out! I've been looking forward to diving into Nerdy's backstory a bit more!
If you enjoyed this chapter, let me know by leaving a review and considering following my story thread! Hopefully I'll see y'all soon!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)