• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

2019 Extravaganza — Promos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Description
Happy Nuzyear!

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
I have so many thoughts, but all of it just comes down to: get involved. Nominate and vote, for sure, but also just... read! Comment! Tag a fucker! There is so much incredible stuff on here, and often a lot of it doesn't quite get the love it deserves. I've been around this block for years now and legitimately just showing that appreciation or acknowledgement can go such a long way not just in making that creator feel loved and motivated, but enriching the community as a whole. A rising tide lifts all boats, so branch out and leave some keysmashes or likes or nominations or what have you because there's nothing better than giving. Happy Ganza season y'all, hope this one is the best one yet!

Okay, on to promos.

---------------------------

You know what's boring? Heroes. Out saving shit, being protagonists, having moral compasses... not being wusses. You know, heroes.

Bleh.

What's far more exciting is a story where the main character is the least heroic hero in all of Johto. A story about evil team scheming and asshole ghosts. A story where the biggest blazes come from his depressive blunts instead of fiery emotions. And yet, a story so goddamn well-constructed, from the POV switches to the stylistic turns, that it'll have your head spinning like a kid let loose in the chairs section of Office Depot. Seriously, if you want a story that's truly unique, a run that's both flowery and evil, and a case study in how to write a wonderfully pathetic protagonist, please for the love of god hit up and lend some support to...
The ground trembled with a giant's landing. Rubble moved away in frantic swipes, the weight easing off of his crushed body; too late for it to matter. A force lifted him from the ground, powerful but tentative. It let go after moving him away, nudging his crumpled body.

A cry pierced through the storm, the shattered emotion bereft of life. Feathers blanketed him. Warmth flooded in with their touch, easing away the pain; darkness slid through their embrace. He could hear weeping, the massive form around him shaking in mourning.

His mouth moved, words choking out in someone else's voice.

"It's alright. I can rest now."

Light of every color flashed across his vision.

"I forgive you."
-----
Elliot rested his head in his hands, staring at the fountain. It had sounded good at first: sneak away from the others for some fresh air. Get out of his gear and take a breather. Off the clock for a bit, as much a Rocket really could be. He pressed his back to the bench with a sigh.

Fucking dreams.

He fished out a couple of pills from his pocket. The old lady promised it'd get rid of his woes. Hag was probably full of it, pawning off all that herbal shit. All natural, she swore, better than anything over the counter!

------------------------

So I've got a new run. New-ish, I guess, since it'll soon be 4 chapters and 1 interlude in. I'm quite proud of it thus far for a lot of reasons, but I'm actually going to turn to a well-completed run if I'm going to promo myself between the bookends. Y'see, I've always had a style ever since I really got active here. Crazy premises, written all snarky, punchy, with enough vitriol to light a Buick on fire. Whether it's a narcissistic Rocket hypnotist and his sassy Hypno partner (the true hero) or a young woman turned into a "demon" Lucario in 1920s Kalos, it's been all about voice and wit.

Then I started Carousel. (AO3 linked bc I never properly imported it, oops)

Carousel was basically everything I wasn't doing. I'd written anxious characters before, since that was my side hustle to snarkmasters, but nothing like this downbeat, downtrodden Eusine. I'd written some fun imagery before, but nothing like the stuff I had to come up with for this almost magical realist Johto. And I sure as hell had never written a story like this that was only 10 chapters long. It took a couple restarts of the story to properly get into a groove, but by the time it finished, it easily became the proudest work I've ever produced. Even for someone whose entire game is experimenting, it proved to me that I'm better than I think, that I really can do whatever I aim for in writing... and that I can write some flowery shit too if I want lmao

In 2019 I finished two runs, after not having finished a single story since my very first one in high school. Carousel was the one that let me know that I could beat the odds I put against myself.
Lightning cracks and stabs the water as the serpents dance around with furious grace. With every step Eusine takes, the water underneath cracks as well, crystalizing underfoot. He glides across, inexorably pulled towards the center as his heart rate slows.

Everything slows. The waves cease crashing, as if they saw what he did at Whirl Islands and want no part of him. The Gyarados’ thrashes become a tango, a piece of silent theater with the rain applauding every move, every spin. He watches the next bolt come down, warping and threatening but never truly leaving a mark. It just scars the sky until the next one takes its shot at the lake.

He releases Judah with a delicate flick and another flash. All he says is to “wear them down.” The Gengar knows exactly what that means, dissipating into his own little rift he’s carved into the planes. Ahead, the Gyarados, ever restless, take their revenge on a lake that only ever treated them like the fickle royalty they are.
------------------------

Sometimes, above all else, a run's pure skill is what strikes you.

That's what this one was for me. I'll fully admit I'm not as connected as I should be, and it took me a while to finally give this run a go. But when I did, I was floored. There was just so much good going on, it was just one of those runs where each paragraph looks delicately chiseled at like a sculpture in the Louvre, but also the kind of writing that just looks effortless. And not just that, but this author has a handle on mood and emotion like Federer with racket in hand. It's the kind of nuance that leaves you not just reading but studying at times. And along with all that, you're getting a wonderfully executed isekai premise, and that's coming from someone whose only real taste for isekai before this came from PMD way back when.

Sometimes a run catches you out because the person creating it, just about their every stroke illuminates their wonderfully conflicted protagonist or the familiar yet alien world they find themselves in. And one of those runs, for me and hopefully for you too, is:

Hi, Suzy.” When she spoke, her voice was barely audible above the lapping of the waves at my calves. I realized that I wasn’t wearing the same clothes as her. Rather, I looked like I did when I was lying in bed with Kate. I had my pajamas on, and a plain white tee-shirt.

“What is this?” I asked, my voice echoed off of everything I could see. Slowly, as my toes churned the sand at the bottom of the lake, I felt myself begin to sink.

This is my attempt to help you.” She glanced down at the water with a smile. “Thank you, for everything you’ve sacrificed.” She said quietly. Then, she began to approach me.

Her steps caused tiny near-imperceptible waves to trickle behind her as she approached me. The tiny waves increased in size the further they got, eventually forming tidal waves that greedily drank up the forest around us. The closer she got, the more minute differences between us I began to notice. Her gaze was far less distant. She seemed kind, forgiving, hopeful.

She was everything Jude described her as.
Everything I wasn’t.

Metafiction

Fourth Wall Demolitions Expert
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Water, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Writes in bursts of inspiration, followed by long lapses of inactivity. It reacts with sarcasm when provoked.
Hmm. Guess I should probably take a crack at this, eh? Not that my voice has any real weight or anything.

I haven't really been able to read a whole lot of 'lockes this past year, but there's a couple newer ones that have mightily impressed me of late. Here goes:

Like Alola? Like Lillie? Like protagonists with a frankly absurd amount of repressed thirst? Well, good news: there's a run for that.

To be accurate, this technically is a reboot of a run that had previously won multiple Extravaganza awards--proof that even the best and most decorated writers feel the urge to blow it all up every once in a while. Still, as good as the original incarnation of TW was, this new version is already shaping up to be just as good, if not better. Though the settings and the characters are fundamentally the same, the story so far feels tighter and more fully realized overall, largely the result of diligent planning and restructuring on the writer's part.

If you enjoyed the original Trainer-Watching, or if you just like Alola-based stories with well-written dialogue and narration, then I can't recommend this one enough.

Every so often, a story comes along that pretty much immediately drags you into its premise and doesn't let go, but you don't mind because that premise has a lot of intrigue behind it and you just want to see what happens next.

For me, that's been On the Run. Milo the Alolachu is a playful hacker type who's tracking down what's happening to his fellow data runners, including his best friend. With his bodyguard Sione and tagalong companion Iva, Milo's about to step out into the world for the first time--and it promises to be an exciting read the whole way through.

And since the man himself doesn't feel comfortable promo-ing what promises to be a great story in the making, and seeing as I wrote a quick fanwork for the run in the recent Secret Santa event, it seemed only fair to throw in a shout-out here. Cheers, Garch.

An absolute masterpiece by one of the most talented and attractive writers in the community, Summer Storm is--what's that?

Yes, of course this is a blatant and self-serving abuse of the promo system! That's the point!

...Okay, fine, all joking aside, I'm not that great at self-promotion. Hence why this is the last (and shortest) of my three promos. But hey, I've got this storylocke I'm really proud of, and I want as many people to see it as possible, even if they end up hating it. I've certainly enjoyed writing it, and I hope it's been a great read for others as well. So...yeah. If you like coming-of-age journey stories with an extra helping of Johto flavor, you might like Summer Storm. I do update occasionally, whenever I can be bothered to actually write instead of succumbing to my depressive urges.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
All righty, let's do this!

Got suckered in by the Espeon staring at me on the banner and stayed for the grimdark the writing. TDWC is a Colloseum storylocke that definitely takes its own liberties with the story and isn't afraid to do its own thing. The story follows Rui as she is abducted as soon as the first page rolls and then rescued by Wes. All seems nice and good for her and everything will turn out okay.

But this is TDWC. In TDWC things going well is a bad idea!

As such, Rui winds up tangled deep in a web plotting and darkness featuring criminal syndicates, shadow Pokemon, divine elements, and so, so much more all set in a light-gray versus absolute black setting. Dig into this run and prepare yourself for some intense action and strong emotional moments!

This might be a Unova run, and it might be a Blaze Black run, but it ain't any Blaze Black Unova run you're familiar with. Set in a world devoid of Pokemon, it was once devoid of any fantastical elements as well. And then magic showed up. After a bit of a cataclysm, we find ourselves set in a very rough and tumble Unova ran by gangs. Albert, a water-magic user under the employ of the Dice, one of the more premiere gangs, is recruited by their mysterious leader to undergo a mission in Castellia.

Naturally, in such a dangerous setting, things hardly go according to plan and there are many elements at play to oppose Albert on his mission.

Well written, this story features both a very unique world and some very intense action. Definitely worth your time!

Okay, I'm a selfish, greedy jerk who's promoting myself.

A Leaf Green run set in a more backwater version of Kanto, Sinnoh-native Shawn O'Donnel finds himself waking up in Pallet Town with the past few years of his memory missing. Gone, wiped, empty. Unable to contact anyone in his home region directly, Shawn sets out on a journey to reach Goldenrod City to access the Global Transit System and hopefully find some clues about what just happened to him.

However the clues seem to be more interested in tracking him down first...

While lighter on action, Stolen Dreams weaves a tale through various perspectives, a story of backstabbing, betrayal, and people behind closed doors with the best intentions pursuing the most dubious means to reach their goals. Not everyone is who they may immediately appear to be as the world twists on small changes.

In my completely unbiased opinion I definitely highly recommend it!

Kinda getting hijacked but Real Life™, but gonna try to get some text snippets for all three when I have the chance to sit down and seek them out!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely tired.
Woo, promos! There are so many amazing runs that it's impossible to pick just three, but here are a few recent ones that have caught my attention.

Death is common in nuzlockes, but a nuzlocke starring Death? That's not something you see every day. That's right, the protagonist of this story is the Grim Reaper themself -- although they're not actually that grim, and they’re here to take on Alola’s trials, rather than take souls. Fortunately, they've got help from a delightful cast of characters, including the ever eager and enthusiastic Hau; the sweet but nervous Lillie; and Kāne the snarky, angsty Rotom-dex. Their interactions never fail to be entertaining, whether it's with each other or with anyone else who gets caught up in their shenanigans.

Hau knocks on the door.

A woman wearing a pair of half-glasses answers. “Hau, lovely to-OH!”

Kāne smirks, just a little. She’s looking at Death like she’s just seen. Well. Death. Which she has.

This was a bad metaphor.

"Ah,” she says faintly. “Hmm. Well. I see. It’s. Oh my.”

Hau’s frowning. “Ms. Emily, I told you on the phone-”

“No, yes.” She’s gone very pale. “No, I, you. You did tell me. I was just. It was my understanding that. You had a friend named Death, and not. Ah.”

“No,” Death says. (Ms. Emily’s eyes bug out of her head). “That is correct. We are friends.”

Hau looks overjoyed. Lillie’s pulled her hat down to hide her face. Kāne is trying, very hard, not to crack up.
This run is jammed with both hilarious and heart-wrenching writing, and Wwar proves to be a master of both, blending them perfectly together in a way that always feels authentic.

After Armageddon by @SayleeK

1578718298734.png

It's the end of the world. Has been for a while. But here and there, people and Pokemon are still here, still trying to make some kind of life for themselves.
Saylee's family and their community are just trying to do that--stay alive, and stay together. But then Saylee's brother disappears...

Saylee’s brother set out a few years ago in search of a better life for the family, but never returned. Now, she’s going to find him, no matter what it takes. Her quest is not an easy one; food and clean water are scarce in Kanto, and with humans and Pokemon alike struggling to survive, there are many dangerously desperate foes to face along the way. With her team at her side, Saylee will discover things she could never have imagined as her journey takes her further and further from home…

After Armageddon is a reboot of the first run in the Keyleeverse series, an epic saga spanning multiple regions and time periods. Don’t be overwhelmed, though! This reboot offers a perfect opportunity to get into the series, especially since not many chapters have been posted yet. It’s an extremely creative post-apocalyptic take on Kanto that you don't want to miss out on!

Spacial Rend is a randomized Platinum comic that’s just starting out, but already has a lot to offer! The art style is cute and colorful, the characters are full of personality, and the comic as a whole is bursting with charm and humor. This is one new run that you don’t want to pass up, and it wouldn’t take long to read what’s been posted so far, so what are you waiting for?

d'angelo russell

tomorrow ain't promised to no-one
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
well it's ganza season, I felt the urge to poke my head out of the isolation hole, and so here we are. this thread's been running shortish on storylocke noms and storylocke recognition in general I feel, recent explosion excepted, and since that's the medium I identify as my wheelhouse I wanted to try and shed some light. not sure that I have any unusual reads or underrated gems (aside from the fact that pretty much everything is underrated because only the big dogs can get more than a couple of likes or comments these days, free [anti-jerk]) but there's def runs that need a mention and haven't gotten one, and thats where I come in I guess:

snippet said:
There, in the grove, the whole thing almost takes an eternity, even if it only lasts a second. I roll the twig to the tips of my fingers and offer it out to her.

She doesn't know what to say about all this. But her eyes glint, and the curve becomes a smile that says you win. It is the way that it happens that makes me think.

Making a twig into a flower is one thing, but real flowers are something else.
seasonchild by @Clockenstein is more experience than story, in all honesty. reimagining unova as small-town canadiana, seasonchild nonetheless weaves a tangent web using some of bw's major themes, sequenced by the eponymous seasons as a major homage to their base game. the story follows christopher merrick seasons, local teenager and nature spirit, through everyday life, watching as he quietly pushes the boundaries at the edges of his life and yearns for something more.

falling between coming-of-age story and period piece, spiced with magic realism and written in a cutting yet enigmatic and considered style of minimalism that highlights all the right beats, seasonchild defies easy explanation but demands to be read nonetheless.

snippet said:
swear Carlei crosses half the fucking island before I can blink. One moment she's standing by the others, the next she's right there, close enough that I can smell the salt on her clothes and the smokey coal of her hair.

We both stand there for a moment, mouths opening and closing as we try to find something to say.

And then Lyra puts her hand on my back and gives me a little push - hard enough to knock me off-balance and into Carlei's arms. And Carlei instinctively puts her arms around me to support me, but she doesn't let go even after I've regained my balance, fingers pressing against my back, and I hug her back tightly, pulling us close together. I can feel flames running over her body, lapping at me like the waves of the ocean just a few feet away, but they don't hurt. Nor does her normal superheated skin - ever since my Blessing her heat had never seriously hurt me, but it had stung a little to touch her sometimes (though it was far from an unpleasant feeling). But now her heat just feels comfortable and familiar and...safe.
call of the divines by @llyarden is another story that gets the nod for being amazing writing and a brilliant adaptation of the nuzlocke experience. call of the divines reimagines johto as a medieval fantasy alternate universe, with protagonist ethan being an average human transported from another world (the classic isekai premise) to pursue his destiny. heavy on worldbuilding, drama, and some philosophical musing, call of the divines is nonetheless written in a style that's remarkably clear and relatable, and its structuring of short chapters and arcs mean it's surprisingly easy to devour at a run.

snippet said:
We walk up the aisle towards the tunnel - psychic miasma tugs the envelope's corner towards Wes as he passes, and he snags its edge without having to look. And we keep walking until the stadium's cheers start to echo and the smell of fresh summer air has faded away.

Wes crouches to examine the envelope's contents, as Elena and I pad across the floor to check our sides. Clear. For a second I worry that this might have been too easy...but we know Phenac gangs are careless on the street, so it wouldn't be too hard to assume that they're slow with picking up drops as well. Complacency-

Wes starts, and a page jerks free, falling to the floor. It's a faded shot, black and white and- it's us. It's us - all three of us sitting there, distinct even in the darkness, staring out at the stadium. The powder smells fresh, and the angle of the picture - he took this shot right now. And we'd missed it entirely.
hello and welcome to the obligatory self-promotion that is desert daze (I would've promoed sturm but my readers beat me to it so thanks rumors ❤). desert daze is a reimagining of the standard pokemon colosseum story, whose protagonist wes is on the run westward through orre after 'resigning' his job with team snagem. narrated alternately by his espeon and umbreon, as well as a mysterious 'watcher', desert daze is an atmosphere-heavy piece that's nominally a modern western but borrows from everything between slice-and-life and horror, whose overall effect is in the words of a friend 'like watching sand fall through an hourglass'. if not everyone's cup of tea it's certainly an experience and I'd appreciate people giving it a check.

there's a lot a lot more runs that deserve a promo or two because this forum is pretty chock-full of good content, since I don't have a tumblr or a twitter I'll try and post my honorable mentions on my blog chaos theory sometime before ganza starts in earnest, so watch that space. cheers

llyarden

Perpetual Lurker
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Glad I got reminded about this before it closed!

A Y Nuzlocke that is loaded with humorous conversations and panels that poke fun at some of the more...interesting...design choices in the game while still having enough twists and hints at things yet to come to be more than just the game and keep readers excited for more.

A White 2 nuzlocke told (mostly) from the perspective of a rather reluctant Purrloin. It's...kinda difficult to describe what I like about this without spoiling things, but suffice to say that even within just the first couple of chapters there are some twists that leave you wanting to see how it all unfolds, exploring the Gen V theme of the relationship between humans and Pokemon (and Pokemon and Pokemon, for that matter.)

My own run, a HeartGold nuzlocke translated into a high fantasy setting where the 'Pokemon' are represented by powerful warriors and magicians. The protagonist, Ethan, is an eighteen-year-old from Earth transported to the kingdom of Joto under mysterious circumstances, who finds himself - and the friends he makes along the way - confronting a nefarious plot.

(Also uh fair warning it's kinda long, so, y'know, don't try to read it all in one sitting!)

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
I wish I could say more about these runs, but I don’t read as much as I should, and I don’t have a very critical eye. It’s pretty hard for me to tell what I like about some comics and storylockes. I just wish I could do more than three...

Oh my lord these boys are so precious and there is so much good worldbuilding and the fights are so pretty and Alrune is so full of energy and there’s so many good character designs and there are so many characters I want to learn more about and I love every panel of this comic ugghhhh it’s so GOOD

Good comic, definitely read it.

It’s a Unova run that doesn’t take itself seriously. The facial expressions are perfect. It’s hilarious. And horribly dark. Rather than the usual "the Unovan hero fights Team Plasma because she loves her Pokemon," Taiyo seems to just like killing. I reread the whole thing before posting this, and I just kept laughing. It’s so good, you guys. The art style is perfect, and only serious when it needs to be. Every time Empty Sun uploads a new comic and I get a Discord notification, I smile, because I know it’s going to be something funny. It's like watching a YTP in Nuzlocke form, and that's a compliment.

Rumors already promoted this, but I’m promoting it anyways. It’s good. As in, I started playing Colosseum because of this run and was disappointed when I learned that all of the cool stuff that happens in TDWC comes entirely from the mind of Dee levels of good. The plot is full of amazing twists, every character has a very well-constructed backstory, Rui is handled so much better than she is in Colosseum, there’s great foreshadowing, I love the way the chapters start with a bit of ominous text before going back to the main party… I don’t want to spoil anything, since there are plenty of deviations from Colosseum’s plot, but it is well worth your time if you want something on the much darker side.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
There are so, so many runs that I could promo here, it's insane. I've decided to do a self-promotion, one storylocke, and one comic, but seriously, there's such an abundance of talent on this forum that just doing three is incredibly difficult. Read as much as you can!

Search for Yesterday by @Dee

Do you remember your childhood? The way the smallest things seemed filled with magic? The excited fear of meeting new faces, new friends? The ever-winding journey of self-discovery, which you never knew you were on until it was almost over?

Search for Yesterday is much different than my usual oeuvre. There's little darkness; no death; all the characters are humans. It follows a girl, Cindi, as she and some friends journey into Alderland, the world's most famous theme park. The park's proprietor is aging and needs an heir, and as Cindi journeys through the wonder-filled lands, she will learn more: about her friends, about Alder, and about herself.

It's Charlie and the Cholocate Factory but with Disneyland instead; and even that takes a backseat to one young woman's journey of self-discovery and blossoming confidence. SfY is a short ten chapters, plus an intro and epilogue, and finished last summer.

Don't Fear the Reaper by @Wwarborday

(Image is from The Sims but I feel it's very fitting)
What if Death took a holiday to Alola? What if they did the Island Challenge? What if they became besties with Hau, Lillie, and one of the snarkiest and most intriguing Rotoms you've ever seen? The result is Don't Fear the Reaper, a fantastic run that somehow balances goofy light-heartedness with mature and thought-provoking introspection, including one of the best interpretations of Ghost-types I've seen in any run. All tied together with Wwar's trademark smooth-as-silk writing style, this is one run you won't want to miss, especially since it's just hitting its stride when it comes to the story. Light-hearted yet wistful, introspective yet never preachy, this is a one-of-a-kind run that already stands out as one of the best on the forums. Go check it out.

Jet's Black Nuzlocke by @Zero

What can I say about this run? This is a classic that's been around for a long time, and has only gotten better with age. You might come for the charming and colorful art style, but you'll stay for the side-rupturing humor, the funny and likable characters, and the grown-up, nuanced look at BW's conflict about pokemon, their rights, and the way people treat them. Jet's Black Nuzlocke is one of those one-in-a-million classics that is just as good as you remember it being--no, wait, it's better. The story is getting ready for high gear (it just cleared Dragonspiral Tower) so now is the perfect time to jump in if you want to see the climax unfold. Don't miss out on this one; it's legendary.​

Last edited:

StarofFire

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Water, Flying
didn't expect to be nominated wowee :,,D if aether's gonna get some love, then i guess i should give some back! ^^

By Bhassa
Do you like Kalos? Do you like cool gijinka designs?? Do you like cute girls supporting each other??? Then Cataclysm sounds like the run for you!
Cataclysm is so sweet and cute! Blaire and Morrigan have such a close relationship already and I love seeing them constantly rooting for each other. I'm very excited to see how more team members affect their dynamic and if this run remains so lighthearted or if it's tone shifts at some point...​

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
It's tiiiiiiiiiime for Mouse's promos! There are a lot of runs I would have really liked to promo, but the thread has this absolutely evil rule that we can only promo three runs. ;;;o;;; So I'm going to focus on promo-ing great runs that I haven't seen in this thread yet! Okay? OKAY! All banners link back to their threads!

Step By Step By Step by @Tailsimp

Step By Step By Step is a Soul Silver nuzlocke that started about a year and a half ago. Despite still being in its early stages, this run's writing absolutely stands out. The comic gives the idea that we have been dropped into the middle of a story. The protagonist Alma's precious totodile, a pokemon she raised from an egg, is stolen by Silver, and she and her cyndaquil Cynder set out on a quest to bring him home. The use of Silver's pokemon theft to drive the plot of the run allows this comic to grab you from the start. Plenty of HGSS runs lean into the theft to help drive the plot, but I've never seen a run capitalize on it so hard by showing Alma's outright devastation at losing her pokemon. The emotions are running high in this run right from the getgo; it's a display of mastery from Tailsimp. On top of that, the side characters are fun and memorable, from Alma's stern mother to the whacky, eccentric Professor Elm to the confident and high-spirited starter. This run has an immense amount of potential, and it absolutely NEEDS more love. Give it a read, it's easy to catch up!

Electric Sheep by @Minty Electronica
Electric Sheep is hands-down one of the best storylockes on the forum to date. This White nuzlocke stars Door Hornbeam, an asshole with a "wake up sheeple" energy to her. She's a girl who hates robots and unfortunately lives in a world where wild pokemon are nearly extinct in Unova. Instead of using real pokemon in battle, trainers catch and use robotic "fauxkemon" instead. This run's premise makes it absolutely fascinating from the getgo. It's intriguing to see an industrialized Unova where the wilds have been paved over by trainer-friendly routes and all trainers have robotic-human companions to strategize for them and help them on their journeys. Unova is based off of New York City, and it feels like a natural progression for the region to make. Door's resistance to the idea of using robots and her fascination with the trainer journeys of old- where trainers would rough it in the wilds and battle with real pokemon- creates a great contrast, a tug-of-war between the protagonist and the world around her, and watching that conflict unfold over time is really what keeps this run engaging. Not to mention, Door's companion Geist, a robotic human a step above the average android, is just a fantastic character overall, and the banter between him and Door are enough to sell the run alone. Absolutely give it a read if you want a fresh, exciting take on Unova!

Kurukkoo! by @Kadew

The Pokemon Franchise at its simplest is young children roughing it out in the wilds and battling pokemon with absolutely no idea what they're supposed to be doing. Kurukkoo! is a comic that truly understands that. This story stars Red, a preteen girl who sets out on a pokemon journey for one reason and one reason only: because her friend Blue is doing it too and she doesn't wanna be bored at home all summer. The banter between Red and Blue is the bread and butter of the run. Kadew's mastery of dialogue just pulls you in and makes you want to watch these two kids bitch at each other all day long! On top of that, this is one of the very few nuzcomics that features non-talking pokemon, and Kurukkoo! is all the stronger for it. Despite the comic still being in its early stages, the pokemon have stronger characterization than many of their talking counterparts in other nuzlocke works. I wrote a whole article about it that you can check out here! Kurukkoo! is a great work that's made with passion and love, so I hope you'll give it a read if you may!

Now for a few honorable mentions of runs I would have promo'd if I could've! These are all fantastic as well, and most of them have been promo'd already in the thread, so absolutely check them out.
Across the Divide by @pkmnMasterWheeler- A PMD comic with a fresh, new take!
Jet's Black Nuzlocke by @Zero- A hilarious and good-spirited comic that has absolutely earned its spot amongst the classics.
Running Hot by @Zephyr_Iphis- A fun and interesting Omega Ruby storylocke told from an intriguing perspective!
The Power of Pouvoir by @TerryTheTeryx- A wonderful, feel-good comic about underdog kids proving their might.

Uberle

Lur King
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bother him
oh wait crap almost forgot
Promos time

Solstice is a run of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. Until this I knew almost nothing about the PMD series and only kinda knew the basic premise; a human becoming a Pokemon and getting a partner. So I was going into this with very little idea of what to expect.
And I have loved every second of it.
The human turned Tepig Elaine is the lead of this run and it's a treat to see things from her perspective as she learns about this new world that lives in eternal darkness. Also she keeps mentioning things from her world which is something I find really enjoyable for one reason or another.
"Doctor Why" will always be close to my heart.
Along with Elaine is an Oshawott named Catrin who is maybe a bit too dedicated to his role as Elaine's guide. He and everyone else in this world really feel like people who have been living without a sun and that makes Elaine's quest feel like it will truly determine the fate of this world.
It's currently on hiatus, but part one is done so now's a great time to sit and read when you have the time.

When you got me talking like someone who has an entire room covered in red string you're probably doing something right. This is a run that takes place in the same universe as Obelisk's past run Girl and Karp but a few hundred years into the future. The lead character is Trey, a boy with a demon that always follows him named Celeste.
Celeste alone gives me enough to talk about, like her odd love of Wepear berries and she apparently understands how first encounters work and the rarity of shiny Pokemon.
Trey is also interesting as he really just wants to do the gym challenge while also just trying to keep Celeste in check. It's fun when you know that something big is happening in the background while the main character hasn't been made aware just yet.
Devoured doesn't have that many updates so it's a run that you can catch up on.
Also maybe get a tinfoil hat if you're anything like me, this run gets you thinking.

This one is my run of Pokemon Star, an Ultra Moon hack.
It is here because when I started this I had to sign a contract that made it so I must share this hack with everyone I possibly can.
I will not try to describe this game.
I will leave you with this snippet

And it was in this moment that I realized
It wasn't coincidence that I found this hack
But destiny for here we see it clearly
I am called by name
It goes past the fourth wall and right to me
I have been tasked by whatever forces may be to play this hack
And if that is their will
I won't ignore it

mykehroo

holy moly i am worry
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 23, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
i'm a dude brooooo
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is currently kerfuffled by this feature. Kerfuffled isn't a word.
First time for everything, I suppose.
(also I REALLY procrastinated on this seeing as someone already promo'd my comic for me)

*ahem* ANYWAYYY, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________--

Relic Radiation
by @critterlingz
To be frank, while this comic only just started out a few months ago, there's already so much to enjoy here. Slight undertones of mystery and horror, along with great characters and an overall beautiful art style are all waiting for you here.

honestly i just wanna help a friend out asdjfklsjf

Woo

ᘛ⁐ᕐᐷ
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Normally quiet and calm, the taste of salt causes this Pokemon to go off-the-shits feral.
Oh boy, promos! Many of the things I'm promo-ing fall under Creative which I don't believe is against the rules (but if so, lemme know), so here goes! There's also some spots in this post that are empty atm while I'm finalizing decisions, those should be edited in shortly!

After the murder of her mother, Myu finds her world turned upside down as she takes on the daunting responsibility of raising her little sister, Topaz. Luckily for her, however, she doesn't have to go it alone as long as the kindhearted Atticus is here to help.

Unluckily for her, this unlikely trio of kids may find themselves facing a little bit more than they bargained for.
The Stars Shine Bright features a colorful and unusual cast of characters. On a surface level, it might be hard to convince someone that a comic featuring Legendary pokémon and a Suicune-experiment-gone-wrong has stellar writing and characterization, but it does! Taking concepts that are absolutely insane on paper and making them work makes this comic stand out from so many others that try grappling with difficult-to-handle premises. Are you also a fan of insane art and writing evolution? Because this comic's growth has been amazing to watch! With so many exciting twists and turns, I can't wait to see where it goes from here!

(Coming Soon)

(Coming Soon)

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A big thanks to all of you who participated in our first year of promos! I hope everyone enjoyed sharing their favorite runs, and maybe found something new. I know I did! ;)

This thread will stay Locked and Pinned for the duration of the extravaganza, so feel free to peek back in at any time! Promos are still perfectly fine on Twitter for the duration of the event. Just Tag your posts #HappyNuzYear so we can find them and help share them! Next we’ll be moving onto the Nominations phase of the Extravaganza. Keep your eye out for the Newsletter to see when the festivities open.

We’ll see you all there! Happy Nuzyear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)